Where are the older humans?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Has anything good come from this HBO deal?
Hmmm. Let's see:
  • MORE MONEY
  • MORE SHOWS
One thing needs to be made explicitly clear: NO CREATIVE DECISIONS ARE MADE BY HBO. Considering this current season was filmed before the deal was even made, all of the current changes (format, set, cast) were already in place. HBO has nothing to do it with it.

People need to stop making HBO the scapegoat for all the things they don't like about the show these days.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
BS OK so this deal gives them more money,and more shows. At what cost though? Look at all they have had to sacrifice just this season alone! I mean from what I have read they are barley even doing letter and number segments anymore.
You can't sit there and tell me that characters like Bob and Gordon are not relevant to today's kids,and that that is the only reason they got the boot.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
BS OK so this deal gives them more money,and more shows. At what cost though? Look at all they have had to sacrifice just this season alone! I mean from what I have read they are barley even doing letter and number segments anymore.
You can't sit there and tell me that characters like Bob and Gordon are not relevant to today's kids,and that that is the only reason they got the boot.
I can sit here and say objectively the show doesn't suffer based on what human cast members there are and aren't. Is the show worse off that Savion or Uncle Wally aren't there?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing needs to be made explicitly clear: NO CREATIVE DECISIONS ARE MADE BY HBO. Considering this current season was filmed before the deal was even made, all of the current changes (format, set, cast) were already in place. HBO has nothing to do it with it.

People need to stop making HBO the scapegoat for all the things they don't like about the show these days.
No, it's really SW's new staff that's behind most, if not all, of these creative decisions that are not sitting well with people, so much so that they pretty much drove Joey away from the show altogether.

It's easy to see why people are blaming HBO, though: in this day and age, where networks are the ones who own shows and are behind all of the creative decisions, I think ordinary people would assume that HBO is the one behind all of these changes made to the show. Outside of us here at MC, and in the Muppet fandom in general, how many people out there do you suppose stop to think that SW still retains the creative decisions of the show?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
After hearing the recent news about Bob and the other original cast members leaving, I'm starting to think this is what Joey meant about losing the "heart and soul of the show" in his Facebook post last year.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Bob says everyone but Alan, Chris and Suki are gone.
So I guess it's fair to assume that Allison and Loretta left without us knowing? (Not that it's a problem- it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Clearly, it's a combination of a lot of things: scaling back of both Muppet and human characters, doing away with spoofs and parodies . . . in a sense, it almost feels like a deja vu of when Jon Stone said of the ATC era that the show was being "dumbed down," which resulted in him being fired. One of the things about SST was that they always made it a show that parents could watch with their kids, however, the research is turning up parents don't watch with kids anymore, hence the end of parodies - because kids don't understand them - and celebrities - because kids don't know who they are; research is also showing that most kids shows have smaller casts with only a few main characters, hence why they're scaling back on both Muppet and human characters. But the thing of it is, all of that has been part of what made SST the show that it is, so I can see all of that playing a contributing factor in Joey's decision to walk away.

EDIT: Ziffeled twice.

Schfifty

Reaction score
One of the things about SST was that they always made it a show that parents could watch with their kids, however, the research is turning up parents don't watch with kids anymore, hence the end of parodies - because kids don't understand them - and celebrities - because kids don't know who they are.
EDIT: Ziffeled twice.
But aren't little children not able to understand parodies in the first place? Yes, they've been done as a way to engage and entertain the parents and older folks, but why specifically would the show get rid of spoofs and celebrities - two of the show's most notable aspects? They don't really interfere with the watching/learning experience for young children (or at least they shouldn't). I don't get why parents would stop watching with their kids, unless they decide that the show is a good babysitter for a child on an iPad.

In any case, very sad that Bob, Gordon, Luis, et al have left. This is definitely the end of an era, and things do have to change at some point; but on the bright side, we should be thankful that they have taught us many things in life and served as role models for us and millions of others.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That what it sounds like, though the article claims Loretta is still involved.
I really shouldn't be holding my breath but, I really hope it's true that we at least still have Susan and maybe Gina. Although, that would seem like an odd and random choice to me considering the fact that Susan has probably appeared less than any of the other cast members. Also, it seems like they would've kept Gordon instead, he and Maria were really the most well known human characters.

Last edited: