The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Watching the rebroadcast of last Friday's episode, seems that Ronaldo's girlfriend makes an appearance in the background of the drag race.

I really like the fact that there's someone that Steven actually hates. He doesn't completely hate Lars and somehow sees something special in him. He gets annoyed with, but doesn't actually hate Onion. But Kevin he actually deeply hates. A very different view of the every loving Steven who takes after his mother. Only other thing he seems to hate that drastically is Lion Lickers.

Also great to see a cool down period featuring the citizens of Beach City. Only really deep episode we've seen is "Mr. Greg" featuring Greg and Pearl's strained relationship, which we'll clearly see more of later. Loved the random reference to the Pizza Bagel Bites (can't remember the exact name) commercial with Mr. Pizza's line of "When pizza's on a bagel, you can eat pizza anytime." Also loved the cuisine anime style reaction from Mr. Fryman and Mr. Pizza eating Steven and the Gems' special menu. Someone on staff has to have read "Iron Wok Jan" or watched Toriko.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There were some pretty tasty-looking food ideas in that episode. Deep-fried pizza? Pizzas made with french fries? French fries infused with marinara sauce? Count me in! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that episode was only made because the budget was running a little over, and they wanted an episode where they only had to pay 2 voice actors? Not that it was a bad episode, mind you. It was cute, just not the best of the townsfolk based episodes. Though I do love the obvious anime movie title reference.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that episode was only made because the budget was running a little over, and they wanted an episode where they only had to pay 2 voice actors? Not that it was a bad episode, mind you. It was cute, just not the best of the townsfolk based episodes. Though I do love the obvious anime movie title reference.
At least Steven now discovered the ability to enter other people's dreams. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now we've gone right back into a gem-focused episode with Steven using his healing spit to try to un-corrupt Centipeedle.
Unfortunately, this was just temporary as she reverts back to her corrupted state, but she eventually got a happy ending when she reunited with her crew mates in her ship.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show goes back to what it does best, making a shocking swerve in the last 5 minutes of the episode:

As Jasper jumps out of the ocean and pleads to be a fusion with Lapus once again, in a jarring portrayal of an abusive, dependent relationship.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Wow, "Alone at Sea" was pretty intense. [SPOILER="I didn't expect Jasper to come back so soon. "[/SPOILER] Clearly her and Lapis' relationship is a metaphor for abusive relationships.

EDIT: Oh, I see Drtooth literally just posted the same thing as me while I was writing my post.

ARGH, the spoiler button isn't working :stick_out_tongue:

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
We get another episode focused on Greg and Rose Quartz's relationship, and this time he has to take care of baby Sour Cream for some extra money. All the while, Rose finds it fascinating that humans can grow up and grow old while Gems practically stay the same age.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That's got me thinking. Is Sour Cream the reason Rose wanted a baby, therefore, in an indirect way being the reason she died?

mr3urious

Reaction score
We got to see Connie go on her first mission, which involved investigating a couple of corrupted Gems in the wilderness.
Along the way, they meet Jasper, who kills one of them by ripping out its gem and taunting our heroes as she vanishes.