The "You know what?" thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
You know something? I think the Matlock and Rockford Files theme songs are extremely underrated

cjd874

Reaction score
You know what?.....
Anyone ever wonder how amazing it would have been if John Lennon, John Entwistle, John Bonham, and John Mellencamp had formed a supergroup? Or, in similar fashion: Stevie Nicks, Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, Steve Miller, and Steve Smith? I think both scenarios would have resulted in some truly epic music.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a couple of lines from Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day that I had been confused about for years, and a couple of nights ago I watched it for the first time in years and now it makes sense to me (there's been a lot of things over the years that I was confused about for many years, before watching closely and it making sense - and not just "getting the c-word past the radar" stuff).

Early on, Piglet says to the narrator "now you've been here before", and shortly after, when Pooh and Piglet wind up at Owl's, Owl recalls a time that he starts with "I remember...", and Piglet (worried about what's happening as the wind blows the tree and house back and fourth) says "I remember this time".

In both cases, I thought they were references to the fact that there was a Winnie the Pooh featurette before this, and was confused because Piglet didn't appear in Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree. But now I realize those are basically jokes/naivete on Piglet's part. The first was a response to the narrator saying something about what was happening, and Piglet's "now you've been here before" was a way of confirming he was right, and the other was just Piglet saying that he remembers what's currently happening, in response to Owl saying he remembered a previous time.

After watching The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, I noticed some slight hypocritical behavior on Pooh's part (thought they're from shorts that were originally released separately). In The Honey Tree, Pooh comes to Rabbits house and eats every pot of honey Rabbit has (and when he leaves, Rabbit, who didn't want Pooh to eat his honey, politely asks if he's sure he won't stay for more, Pooh stops and asks if there is any more). And then in The Blustery Day, when Tigger shows up and mentions that he's hungry, Pooh remarks "not for honey, I hope". So Pooh, who had freeloaded honey off Rabbit previously, did not want to share his honey with Tigger (has Pooh ever been shown to voluntarily share honey with others, or give honey to others as a present?). I guess it was karma, but lucky for Pooh Tigger ended up disliking the stuff.

And on the subject of Tigger disliking honey, for years I thought it was because the honey got all sticky on him, but when watching it, it seems like he genuinely dislikes the taste (the honey on his hand doesn't seem too different from when it's on Pooh's hand). I did recently check a book and tape on the short and in that Tigger does complain about it being sticky (I used to have a book called Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, which was an adaptation of this sequence, I wonder if he made a bigger deal out of the stickiness in that book).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You know what?.....
Anyone ever wonder how amazing it would have been if John Lennon, John Entwistle, John Bonham, and John Mellencamp had formed a supergroup? Or, in similar fashion: Stevie Nicks, Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, Steve Miller, and Steve Smith? I think both scenarios would have resulted in some truly epic music.
I wouldn't have minded seeing Keith Emerson, Keith Richards, and Keith Moon kick up some dust. Or Peters Banks (Yes), Frampton (Humble Pie), Green (Fleetwood Mac) and Townshend (The Who) duking it out in Guitar Hero.

cjd874

Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded seeing Keith Emerson, Keith Richards, and Keith Moon kick up some dust. Or Peters Banks (Yes), Frampton (Humble Pie), Green (Fleetwood Mac) and Townshend (The Who) duking it out in Guitar Hero.
Or Roger Daltrey (the Who), Roger McGuinn (the Byrds), and Roger Taylor (Queen)...we could go on and on. This all started when I read an article about how Billy Joel wanted to form a band with Don Henley on drums, Sting on bass, and John Mellencamp (or maybe it was Bruce Springsteen?) on guitar. But sadly, it never made it past the discussion stages.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There was a short-lived group called The Best that toured Japan, around 1990.
Keith Emerson on keys, John Entwistle on bass, Simon Philips on drums, and Joe Walsh and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on guitars. Sometimes dreams do become realities, even if just for a handful of shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I recently realized is that Warner Bros. didn't make 100% original Looney Tunes television shows until just after Mel Blanc died. The first show, Tiny Toon Adventures, came out one year after Mel Blanc died. I know that in later years (and maybe even a long time before his "later years") Mel Blanc was expensive to employ, frequently asking for higher raises. Considering that all of the Looney Tunes television shows that came out before were just comprised of the existing shorts, with some of the shows having original animated material (but not for the whole half-hour), part of me wonders if they waited until they no longer had to pay Mel Blanc so much.

But I figure Tiny Toons was probably in planning stages at least before Mel Blanc died. They probably would have still had the classic Looney Tunes make appearances with Blanc if they could, but I assume that the main characters would have been voiced by other people.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth always brings up one of the reasons why bringing in Tim Hill as director of MFS was a mistake was because Tim Hill himself admitted he was never really a fan of the Muppets to begin with.

Whether or not that really did play a factor (again, I still don't find MFS to be as bad as people make it out to be), I was reading something this evening that reminded me of that point: a few months ago, ELECTRAWOMAN & DYNAGIRL was rebooted for a handful of episodes on an web-exclusive platform, and I got to reading that the executive who greenlit the project wasn't even at all familiar with any of Sid & Marty Kroffts' work. Then again, I could give him the benefit of the doubt: whereas the Muppets (and Henson's work in general) have a more widespread appeal that's stood the test of time, the Kroffts' work is a bit more obscure with a smaller cult following anyway; I mean, I probably wouldn't even have found out about them had it not been for TV Land airing reruns of H.R. PUFNSTUF over ten years ago.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that in the 1970s it was very common for live-action television shows to get animated series based on them, and in the 1980s and 1990s, the animated television adaptions seemed to be replaced by animated shows based on live-action movies.

And it seems like the animated shows based on live-action shows were more successful than the animated shows based on live-action shows. Animated shows based on live-action shows - such as The Patridge Family, The Brady Kids, Gilligans Island (and Gilligans Planet), Fonz and the Happy Days Gang, and The Lavern and Shirley/Fonz/Mork and Mindy Hour all seemed to last just a few seasons, if more than one, and seem to rarely get rebroadcast or released on home video (though TV Land has rerun The Brady Kids and Fonz and the Happy Days Gang).

And yet it seems like the animated shows based on live-action movies were more successful... Though now that I think about it, the only ones I can think of off-hand that seemed to really last long were Beetlejuice and The Real Ghostbusters (and yet I feel the movies are better known with today's audiences, though I recall knowing about the animated shows before the movies). Still, I feel like the animated Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures, Back to the Future, and The Mask were fairly successful, not sure about the animated Attack of the Killer Tomatos, Police Academy, Dumb and Dumber, or Ace Ventura. Would Batman: The Animated Series qualify as an animated version of the '90s Batman films?

Could it be that with shows being based on live-action shows, which already had plenty of episodes (and often had the live-action cast in the voice cast), they had already gone through several plots, not to mention often making the shows more cartoony or more gimmicky (such as having the Happy Days cast travel through time or the Patridge Family and Gilligan's Island cast in space), while the movies hadn't had too many plots and therefore there was more to do with a series that hadn't been done in the movies?

mr3urious

Reaction score
And yet it seems like the animated shows based on live-action movies were more successful... Though now that I think about it, the only ones I can think of off-hand that seemed to really last long were Beetlejuice and The Real Ghostbusters (and yet I feel the movies are better known with today's audiences, though I recall knowing about the animated shows before the movies). Still, I feel like the animated Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures, Back to the Future, and The Mask were fairly successful, not sure about the animated Attack of the Killer Tomatos, Police Academy, Dumb and Dumber, or Ace Ventura. Would Batman: The Animated Series qualify as an animated version of the '90s Batman films?
You forgot the Men in Black series. That one lasted a good while.