The breakfast cereal thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Bleh, Special K, the K stands for krud. It gets so soggy by the time you get to the bottom of the bowl. And the thinly sliced strawberries have zero flavor, but at least that's more than can be said for the quality of the sogged flakes. Which is why I prefer Honey Bunches, it has better crisper flavor compared to that other cereal. Although I do miss the occasional bowl of Cracklin' Oats or Sugar Corn Pops.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still say whoever thought it was a good idea to start marketing and advertising mini-wheats as "biscuits" wasn't thinking clearly. After all, what are biscuits? Savory, little, round pastries that you spread butter, jelly, marmalade, margarine, or in some cases gravy, on. Some people even make sandwiches out of them, usually slipping eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, and cheese inbetween them.

How does that sound like it would make for a good cereal?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Biscuit also means a rock hard, meat flavored cracker thing for dogs to chew on as well. Means a lot of things, really.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now, this was a pleasant surprise.

I found a new, limited edition Cap'n Crunch flavor that some supermarket just dumped unceremoniously next to the cereal aisle, still in their shipping boxes with a $1.99 label on them, obviously trying to get rid of them. Cap'n's Orange Creampop Crunch, basically the same Cap'n cereal with a slight orange flavor that somehow tastes like those Hostess orange cupcakes. It's a good cereal, but that's not what got me excited about it. In an attempt to make a throwback reference, they stuck a bunch of classic Jay Ward Productions created Cap'n characters on the back. Cap'n's driving a bus with his three child crew members and Sea Dog with Jean LaFoote hanging off the edge. While that was indeed a great comeback, I was more impressed with the three other obscure characters they threw on the box. I freaked out in the store seeing them... Wilma the White Wale, Quake, and even Simon the Quangaroo!

Yep! THIS Quake:

and THIS Simon the Quangaroo:

Yeah, technically they should have had Cowboy looking Quake, since that's the one who had Simon, but I don't care. They referenced the most obscure characters of the bunch on a breakfast cereal for kids who have no idea who anyone besides the Cap'n is anyway.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? What the heck is a "Quangaroo"?
A "zebrangaroo", now that's one of the Wonder Gardens' hybrid zombies and I'd recognize the term.

Jean LaFoot, ah yes, the spokesman for Tasty Feet, the popular Neitherworld foot-shaped treats.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If they were to reference Harry Hippo as well, I'd be even more impressed. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Huh? What the heck is a "Quangaroo"?
A "zebrangaroo", now that's one of the Wonder Gardens' hybrid zombies and I'd recognize the term.
Quangaroo....

Cereal mascot Kangaroo for short lived Quangaroos orange flavored cereal. Only orange and spotted. He was introduced to save Quake because there was a huge campaign of Quisp cereal vs Quake cereal, and kids overwhelmingly went for Quisp.

If they were to reference Harry Hippo as well, I'd be even more impressed. :big_grin:
That's the one guy who wasn't on there. And Quisp, but that's another deal. Makes sense they used the vanilla cereal and orange cereal classic mascots. And this wasn't even one of those Target "Throw back" boxes. I have those somewhere, and they managed to make an odd anachronism mentioning "The Soggies" in 1970's retro-packaing, whereas they were created in the mid-80's, well after Jay Ward productions just stopped giving a crap and left.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... So it's just the standard orange cartoon kangaroo, but with the "K" replaced by a "Q-U" to stick with the cereal naming. Thanks for explaining.
*Gets milk from that other lion-cow hybrid zombie instead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
..or was he referred to as a Quangaroo?

Great. Now I'm doubting myself about it.

On another note, you may know of my frustration to find various Ghostbusters related junk foods (I did find the Key Slime Twinkees and got another Ecto-Cooler, still looking for the Marshmallow Twinkees, though), but I've been matched in frustration finding another food promo, The Secret Life of Pets General Mills promotion. I thus far found it at one specific Target. I should have bought them there, but thought by then I'd find these easier at super markets I frequent, and haven't been to that Target since I saw them. I collect stuff, I like cereal prizes. I found the Finding Dory frozen milk chiller mold to be...strange since they clearly have no idea that milk freezes strangely. Kinda hate how Kelloggs doesn't really do this sort of thing much anymore. GM usually has something in boxes of certain cereals when a movie comes out. I avoided the Batman/Superman comics because...well...the breakfast cereals for that movie were all I want to have multiple experiences with regarding it.

cjd874

Reaction score
Uh...how have I not seen this thread until now?

Where do I begin with my favorite cereals? I gotta say, in no particular order: Frosted Flakes, Captain Crunch Berries, Lucky Charms, Honey Nut Cheerios, Froot Loops, and Cocoa Puffs. Great taste and nutritional value (some more than others, of course). Generally, I stay away from Raisin Bran and Special K...because they taste like cardboard. Adding cold milk to cereal is the best...as well as the occasional sliced bananas or strawberries.