Commercial RAVE Time

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I so totally agree - to actually see a positive one for a change is just that: a refreshing approach. I hope we can see more positive ones to come.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though Snickers have long deleted it from their YouTube channel, WALL STREET JOURNAL has it on their channel, which is great, because this commercial really deserves to be preserved for all to enjoy:

I'm really impressed with how much effort was put into actually making this look as though it was an episode of THE BRADY BUNCH, in terms of the 4:3 frame ratio, the muted 35mm film look, the mono sound, they even salvaged an old Charley Douglass laugh track for it. The end results were amazing, and it was just a good commercial too. Danny Trejo as Marcia is really funny.

Now, William Dafoe as Marilyn Monroe on the other hand, that's just scary.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It would be nice if they saved the one with Robin Williams as the football coach.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I know this isn't a commercial, but I still feel it falls under it: I like how Subway's new logo is reminiscent of the one they used throughout the '90s and before. I guess they're trying to woo Millennials with a little nostalgic throwback.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While anything can be said about the General Mills Satur-yaaaayyyeeeaaaahhh commercials (I do like the He-Man reference in the latest one), I have to admit I rather like the new Lucky Charms ads where Lucky's just hangin' around with his marshmallow shape pals. Sure, I do kinda miss the "always after me Lucky Charms" bit, but frankly the Strawberry Smiggles skit from Rick and Morty actually rendered those...strange in retrospect for me at least. Plus, I think these ones capture a nice personality and some way out animation better than the weird Uncle Grandpa meets Breadwinners vibe of the others. Though, eh, at least Kevin Michael Richardson is awesome as usual in them. There's that.

Also, while I detest the "someone's gonna get fired" BK add with the vapid dudebros, I have to admit, the two vapid girls saying how such and such food items are "gross" and then approving of the hot dog as "flame grilled hot dog is AWESOME!" somehow cracks me up. I don't know why, it's probably because the "so stupid it's funny" vibe they're going for actually works here. Also kinda liked the one with the hot dog vendor from a few months back.

I'm also trying to figure out if I like the new Gator-aid commercials that use "Let's call the Whole Thing Off" as a basis or not.

mr3urious

Reaction score
While anything can be said about the General Mills Satur-yaaaayyyeeeaaaahhh commercials (I do like the He-Man reference in the latest one), I have to admit I rather like the new Lucky Charms ads where Lucky's just hangin' around with his marshmallow shape pals. Sure, I do kinda miss the "always after me Lucky Charms" bit, but frankly the Strawberry Smiggles skit from Rick and Morty actually rendered those...strange in retrospect for me at least. Plus, I think these ones capture a nice personality and some way out animation better than the weird Uncle Grandpa meets Breadwinners vibe of the others. Though, eh, at least Kevin Michael Richardson is awesome as usual in them. There's that.
And at least that one also felt a lot more coherent and grounded in fantasy than the other one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also gotta give props to a Disney Vacation Club commercial I remember seeing on Animal Planet a few years back for showing a boy hugging a princess for once. Sure, it annoyingly ran for almost the entire break, but I still commend Disney for being progressive in that manner.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If you watch AFV, you'll see boys getting hugs from the princesses all the time. There was even the video of that one boy who took it a step further, and insisted on getting a kiss from each of the princesses.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We've talked about how pathetic Domino's commercials are in the commercial rant thread, but there was a time where Domino's actually made some pretty cool commercials:

Still, Papa John's is a whole lot better.