The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
They did one of those "too short to ride the roller coaster" tropes, but that wasn't the focus. Instead, it focused on Peridot's inferiority complex with her loss of gadgetry and seeming lack of powers, and she even revealed that the newer Homeworld Gems lack the cool shapeshifting powers that Steven and Amethyst have.
I had a feeling that they'd have a unique spin on that tired old trope...unlike Arthur.

Episodes like this are why Peridot has become my favorite Crystal Gem. She gets hurt easily, but she dives into anger and frustration and stews instead of trying to show her true emotions. Seems like she's still down about losing her cybernetic limbs back when they were enemies.

I also loved that she was somehow able to bond with a cheap carnival prize Alien doll.

As for today's episode, "The New Lars". I just don't get it. I just really wish we would get an episode that very clearly shows why Sadie likes Lars so much. We haven't really been given a reason to care about their relationship. He's just a jerk a majority of the time.
That really seems to be something they're slowly working towards. That's something they're not going to reveal all at once. Look how long it took them to get an episode where we see Sour Cream and Yellow Tail's relationship. Something only mentioned in passing a season ago. What I really liked was that Steven tried hard to patch the relationship up, only to get a terrible reaction from Sadie. It's true, the only thing we get to see out of the relationship is that they were something once, and they're not sure what they are now.

However, I think there's one thing we're all overlooking. Steven discovered a new power. He can possess the minds of others and swap them out with his own.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think there's one thing we're all overlooking. Steven discovered a new power. He can possess the minds of others and swap them out with his own.
Yeah, I was actually a little creeped out by that. :concern:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also love how Sadie has a collection of horror movies, one of which is called "H3||hound" with a "$1.00" sticker covering up most of the first word. Yet another moment of the writers getting crap past the radar. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget how she has "Caligula; The documentary" and how we find out that Lars has a type via the "Noice" magazine covering his face.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Another sence I'm surprised that got past the radar was Lars sleeping naked with a magazine.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Let's not forget how she has "Caligula; The documentary" and how we find out that Lars has a type via the "Noice" magazine covering his face.
Now there's a documentary everyone was clamoring for. *shudders*

mr3urious

Reaction score
Stevonnie is back, and this time he/she/it/xe/whatever other pronoun you use decides to spitefully race against Kevin, the creep who tried to force himself onto the fusion. Was the race between the two supposed to reference Initial D? I've never seen it myself, but considering the other homages to anime this show throws at us, I wouldn't be surprised.

Conspicuous CG is used a lot with the vehicles and during the race, which SU as a whole doesn't use often, but at least things are shaded properly so they don't look like they came straight out of a PS2 game. I'd say if you're going to speed up production time by rendering stuff that way, at least spend some money on it.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I just notice something when I was watching this episode, a lot of jerks are named Kevin in media such as SU, EEnE, SpongeBob, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obvious bit of observation here.

The girl on the cover of the "Noice" magazine is short and chubby, just like Sadie.

Makes me wonder if the only reason Lars was into Sadie was because of her body, but couldn't stand the emotional connection. Meanwhile, Sadie shares her film interests with Ronaldo, and he was extremely pleasant and welcoming to her in that episode about the Midnight Movie club. Seems Ronaldo really likes Sadie as well for more than that, and would no doubt be a better fit for her.

I really hope to see that play out more.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm loving that we're starting to get some new and really different stories involving the other characters besides the gems. Every episode of the entire series has been good so far, but I feel like the show is finally coming to a place where all the writers seem completely comfortable with the show.