Any Closing Logos Fans?

Drtooth

Reaction score

This is the only one I could find alone without the entire end theme...

But that animation is unmistakably Cow and Chickeny. As I said, Feiss worked on the ALF cartoons long before he got that CN show.

And yes, it's one of my favorites, and a shame that it didn't get tacked at the end of the live action show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well Drtooth, you'll be happy to know that at last, you're not alone in loading issues, I can't get the vid you shared to play at all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread (not really) because this isn't so much about closing logos as it is opening logo: you guys ever watch CinemaSins? I've been noticing whenever they review Disney movies - particularly Disney movies that were released and/or re-released during the New Tens - one of the first things they always count as a sin is the current Walt Disney Pictures logo. Paired with additional logos (like Pixar, for example), they say the sin is the opening logos are too long. I'm personally kind of indifferent about the current Disney logo - I don't hate it or like it, I just don't have any feelings on it (the animation is breathtaking though), but I kind of feel like many people simply dislike it because they miss the old Disney logo:

Interesting thing about opening logos being "too long" may make some sense when you take into considering that opening logos tend to be anywhere between 10-20 seconds depending on the company, whereas closing logos tend to be 3-5 seconds (except for Stephen J. Cannell logos, which tend to be just as long as opening logos).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Opening logos can definitely be tedious if there are, like, 3 or 4 of them in a row, and if they're of the kind that look like they could be the start of the movie. It's like it's hard to tell where the logos end and the movie begins, as Family Guy one put it.

And as for the Cannell logo, have you ever noticed how Mr. Cannell himself looks quite grumpy in the older versions? It almost looks as if he's about to chuck his typewriter at the camera. Compare that with the most recent version, where the music is more mellow and he's smiling as he types away at his next script.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Ironically enough for an old-school Sesame buff, I grew up frightened to death of the so-called tricolor PBS logo. You know the one: the loud trilling Moog notes, the letters appearing one at a time from nowhere... *shudder* When PBS finally changed their network identification bump in the 80s, I breathed a sigh of relief.
Ah, the classic days of PBS, and the memories of classic Sesame Street and The Electric Company....

And this other memorable, unrelated classic sitcom closing logo....

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The Oddity Archive did a wonderful retrospective on closing logos. Loved his take on the 'zoom-in' logos. That bootleg Fantasia tap about 15 minutes in was also quite amusing! :smile:

Last edited:

snichols1973

Reaction score
This intro should be familiar to those old enough to remember such Britcoms as Benny Hill....

Here's an older intro from the Rank organization, parodied in The Muppets Go To The Movies by Link Hogthrob as "J. Arthur Link":

snichols1973

Reaction score
The VID mask
, a sequence for one of the first private Russian TV companies formed after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

• This is perhaps one of the few logos listed here that was intentionally made scary. With the collapse of the USSR in the early 90's, the executives over at the VID company figured that the network needed a "shocking" logo, so they cooked up a mask with a rather angry face (actually modified through CGI from a less menacing sculpture of a philosopher, which a museum denied them direct usage of) and a fanfare consisting of five scare chords . Considering Russians' accounts of seeing this logo growing up, they certainly did not disappoint!
  • A quick note: it had to be be changed because it was feared the sudden black/white cycling would trigger epileptic seizures, so the current VID ident is just the stone face with no animation.
  • The VID mask's goal of intentionally scaring it's viewers didn't stop with the original variant. Before a show they aired on L-club, they used a variant in which after the VID mask appeared, it would morph into a face of a creepy old man, who would then open his eyes. Then if that wasn't enough, they made another
    variant that appeared at the end of the same show, in which the VID logo fades to averyeerie face with it's eyes wide open and his tongue sticking out as if to mock you!
    • But wait, it gets worse - the latter logo was sometimes used as a replacement for the standard logo at the with this variant at random. And the date the latter variant first appeared on? April 1st. The original logo was scary enough, but the L-club logos took this it up to sadistic levels.
Warning: The following video may very well be classified as nightmare fuel, please watch with caution :eek::eek::eek::eek::

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone a fan of the "Cartoon Network Studios" end logos that always get crushed to the side? Like Grim trying to chop off Billy and Mandy's heads, the Gems tossing around and catching Steven, DeeDee pressing that button and blowing Dexter up, or even the new PPG series which features live action footage of grown women dressed up as the girls? Seriously, say what you want about that show, I love seeing that at the end of every episode.

But the most surprising one has to be from Season 2 of Black Dynamite. The ONLY time it's been seen on an [adult swim] original...

unless they decide to put them at the end of the new Samurai jack episodes.

Also, gotta love the Uncle Grandpa closing, repurposing a Beary Nice quote: