The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
Norm looks like he walked off an episode of Penguins of Madagascar, in both design and animation quality. Sure, Norm's not 90's Reboot episode primitive or worse, anything by Wolf Tracer studios. But he looks just under the quality of the average TV show CGI animation. Nick's TMNT show looks far better in quality for less money. To say the least of some of Disney's CGI shows.

Still, animation doesn't always equal lack of quality. There's a lot of garbage out there that's well animated, just poorly written. Some of the late 90's Don Bluth films come to mind. But Norm has both not theatrical quality animation, and a terrible script. Just because something's meant for kids doesn't mean it needs to be low quality. This film all over is trying to be Madagascar with a pinch of Minions and a dose of unsubtle and clumsy environmentalism that makes the Ted Turner Captain Planet episodes....nah...too much credit. A dose of unsubtle, shoehorned in, clumsy environmentalism that makes Frosty Returns look well done by comparison. Lionsgate really shouldn't have gotten into animation. Not saying they don't have good product coming out of their film and TV studios, but they're just a terrible company. They work on volume apparently.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I meant to mention this sooner, but for some reason NOTN was used in a promo for some telecom, either for a cable package or online streaming data or both. The ones with Will Forte talking about freedom. Ring any bells? Mainly because the gag was he was on a dogsled in the snow and the movie takes place in the arctic... I'm sure they could have found a better example if they tried.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
Well, this is quite the CGI kids' film battle we've got going on this summer.

The Secret Life of Pets and Ice Age: Collision Course are topping the box office in some countries but more praise is going to Finding Dory (OK, to be fair, some countries haven't seen it yet).

To be honest, I wonder how long Illumination will continue to succeed when pitted against Disney/Pixar or other studios? I bring this up because of the plans to sell DreamWorks after their days of heated competition against Disney/Pixar ended earlier in the decade.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are expectations for the new Ice Age really, really low or something? Because I've hardly seen any promotion for it whatsoever. Outside of trailers in theaters, I've only seen TV spots for it two times, and one of them wasn't even really a trailer for the movie so much as it was Sid hawking Aquafina bottled water.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really felt a little burnt with the last movie being half decent, half garbagy tween drama pandering crap. Though again, only saw it for the pirates and the Simpsons short.

Seriously. The freaking show is almost 30 years old and we've only got one movie and one theatrical short. We should at least have another short.

Anyway, I'm mixed. They brought back my two favorite characters, Sid's Grandmother and Buck the Weasel thing. But this franchise really should have ended with the last movie. Only it made so much money from the overseas markets, there's no way they'll ever stop making them.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Aw Crap why does Dream-works has keep milking the Ogre I thought they gave him the axe after the 4th one?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Shrek is pretty much responsible for sequelitis in modern cinema, particularly among animated and family films . . . I guess they figured since Blue Sky surpassed them with a fifth Ice Ace movie, DW needed to come back out on top with a fifth Shrek, for further competition.