Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
The main video image refers to it as "'80s Old School", so maybe it's season 21. Or it could be a little earlier. Of course Sesame Workshop has occasionally been incorrect with dates.
Have they actually been right with dates for their videos?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Have they actually been right with dates for their videos?
These "Old School" clips have been referring to them by decade as opposed to year.

I think Sesame Workshop is usually right when a date is applied to a clip, based on what I know. Timelines, Hulu, Old School DVD chapter stops, dates in the Sesame Street Unpaved special. But there are times that are provably wrong.

One of the most common date incorrections is the season two version of Rubber Duckie, the classic one that uses the blue background. Nearly everything that cites a date or season, whether it be Hulu, Old School Vol. 1, 40 Years of Sunny Days, or anything else, lists it as being from the first season, when we know that the first season version is different (due to things like Ernie's nose color and the fact that they didn't use a plain blue background in the first season).

Other notable things that have been incorrect: Old School Vol. 3 includes "Henson Ball High Wire" under season 15 classic cuts, when the segment debuted in season two and the alternate ending premiered in season six (and that version had already been included in volume 2). The timeline section of The Street We Live On has a few incorrections, such as showing a C3PO and R2D2 clip as being from season 10 (the episodes are actually from season 11), and showing a clip with Olivia listed as season six (when it's widely sourced that she debuted in season 8).

One thing I wonder about is Teeny Little Super Guy. The timeline in The Street We Live On includes the opening as a 1982 clip, and Old School Vol. 3 has it as a season 14 clip, but there was a press release for the 15th season that listed it as new. I'm not sure whether those clips all came from the same season or if they produced them over the course of a few. Maybe the first one was made in season 14 and then they made more on a regular basis in season 15.

I also wonder about "Kermit and the Weather Salesman" being listed under "season 7 classic cuts" in Old School Volume 7. Kermit and Grover look more like they did in seasons 3-4, and the video quality makes it look like a pre-season 5 segment (in the first four seasons, the video quality kind of looks like it was shot on film, while in season 5 it looks more video and less "film"). Could it be a mistake? Could the segment have been made a few years sooner but didn't air until season 7? Could it have actually been taped in season 7 (maybe using older puppets and the older video quality that was used in the past)? Could they have looked at the Muppet Wiki EKA, which was a season 7 episode (it's known that Sesame Workshop does use Muppet Wiki for research, but they should also use their own documents for final verification on these kinds of things... I wondered if that might have been the cause of the mistake for the Ball High Wire being listed as season 15, except Muppet Wiki already had a season 2 episode as the earliest known appearance)? We may never know (or maybe we will).

But whenever Sesame Workshop or whatever official cite lists a season, I usually believe it as correct.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I also wonder about "Kermit and the Weather Salesman" being listed under "season 7 classic cuts" in Old School Volume 7. Kermit and Grover look more like they did in seasons 3-4, and the video quality makes it look like a pre-season 5 segment (in the first four seasons, the video quality kind of looks like it was shot on film, while in season 5 it looks more video and less "film"). Could it be a mistake? Could the segment have been made a few years sooner but didn't air until season 7? Could it have actually been taped in season 7 (maybe using older puppets and the older video quality that was used in the past)? Could they have looked at the Muppet Wiki EKA, which was a season 7 episode (it's known that Sesame Workshop does use Muppet Wiki for research, but they should also use their own documents for final verification on these kinds of things... I wondered if that might have been the cause of the mistake for the Ball High Wire being listed as season 15, except Muppet Wiki already had a season 2 episode as the earliest known appearance)? We may never know (or maybe we will).
The Grover puppet in that bit was made for season 6, so it's entirely plausible it's from season 7; I highly doubt they consulted the Wiki for that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Grover puppet in that bit was made for season 6, so it's entirely plausible it's from season 7; I highly doubt they consulted the Wiki for that.
Yeah, I don't think Sesame Workshop was using Muppet Wiki back when the second Old School volume was released.

For years I also compared it to the earmuff salesman segment, which is definitely from after season four (I've always assumed that the weather segment came first since Kermit says that he didn't know Grover was a door-to-door salesman... But he makes a similar reaction in the earmuffs bit, saying "don't tell me you're a salesman!", but then again, they could have aired in the opposite of taping order), both with how the video quality looks and that a much better-looking Kermit puppet is used (and the EKA for that one is a season seven episode as well). But then again, they had multiple Kermit puppets and could have just picked an older one (at least during the Muppet Show era, the Muppet Workshop had a cabinet drawer of Kermit puppets to use on Sesame Street, and although they started making Kermit with a new green material in 1979, older puppets made from the previous material continued to be used on Sesame Street for a few years).

DePingPong

Reaction score
I recently got a bunch of new episodes and found this classic Elmo clip that I've never seen before, so decided to upload it. Very good clip, love classic Elmo.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I recently got a bunch of new episodes and found this classic Elmo clip that I've never seen before, so decided to upload it. Very good clip, love classic Elmo.

Elmo and Miles' short little interactions in between lines are so adorable.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score

What a total distraction; the scene should've just been named 'Miles and Gordon play with a firetruck'.

Elmo doesn't really work when there's just a kid there doing whatever he wants. Miles shouldn't even have really been in that scene to tell you the truth.

hooperfan

Reaction score
This had to have been one of the last things Will Lee did. He was reportedly on board the Macy's float later that year, as well.
That's true... I believe the Macy's float was his last public appearance