Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Yeah, John Carter too, but definitely not anything related to the horrible edgy fairy tale fad. Not to be confused with Disney's live action remakes, which are still very Disney-ish. I'd say this is closer to one of those and still a family movie. They got freaking Spielberg to direct this thing. It doesn't look like it's bad at all, just not something audiences will fall into. Actually, I'd say it has an air of Hugo to it, without the up its own butt-ness of being an inside reference to film school geeks.
Fair point, guess all the Disney live action movies blur together for me. This seems like it will win a bunch of special effects Oscars and get some B-minus reviews.

If a studio wants to take on Dahl and go bold, take on The Twits.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Honestly I would rather see James & The Giant Peach rereleased in 3-D, than a new movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They don't tend to re-release movies rather than make them, no matter how inferior they are to the source material. Fox could have released one of any of the old Dragon Ball movies and have gotten better reviews and more box office than Dragon Ball Evolution. Heck, Hasbro could have took a bunch of old Jem cartoons, shoehorned them into a movie, and that would have gotten better reception than the live action one. But that's not how a business works.

This film really doesn't feel like a July release to me. Especially considering the dozen or so movies competing for the same opening day slot. Something tells me when is all said and done, had it not been for Disney's massive success films and Deadpool and BVS (even though it slid like crazy due to bad word of mouth), no one's really going to the movies this year. Nothing has been that successful that wasn't Marvel based or was an animated film by Disney.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
A lot of people aren't excited for Tarzan, but for whatever reason I actually kind of like what I've seen, and I might see it.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Nothing has been that successful that wasn't Marvel based or was an animated film by Disney.
This is true because the Disney and/or Marvel track record and brand name is so strong, people would rather see that. Plus, the MCU possibly gets people so sucked into the storyline that they see just those movies.
Also, it's harder than ever to make a suceessful movie for a variety of reasons. One of them is that there is plenty of content out there that is better that you don't have to go anywhere to see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I blame the fact partially because they make too many movies and release too many of them at once. Sure, Warcraft and Angry Birds would have done better if they were released when they were supposed to, instead of being delayed for years. I guess that somehow trying to pander to 1980's TMNT fans didn't help the second Bay produced movie, even though it frankly was a better TMNT film. I can see why the TMNT fanbase wanted no part of that. And I still think Disney passive aggressively released Alice opposite X-Men to dig into their potential because they're not in control of that franchise. Say what you will about Fan4stic, the fact Disney just cold shouldered the entire comic series and legacy instead of saying "yeah. We know the movie sucks. Let's remember the good times with comic rereleases and Funko Pops" sabotaged the characters in hopes the movie would bomb and the rights would revert.

A lot of people aren't excited for Tarzan, but for whatever reason I actually kind of like what I've seen, and I might see it.
Have to admit, it doesn't look bad. It just doesn't look like it's going to be successful. And that's sad to have an Edgar Rice Burroughs film bomb again so soon after John Carter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
ID:R is, like most films, doing well overseas. It's getting terrible reviews and word of mouth, especially from fans of the original. I'm very happy Pixar was able to shake off that unfortunateness of Good Dinosaur's low box office take with a familiar franchise.

I swear, last year had three lightning precision strikes when it came to long awaited sequels. Jurassic World made a fortune, Fury Road was well received, and unless you were an overly nostalgic purist that wanted every opportunity to hate it, The Force Awakens hit it out of the park. Dory managed to get that sweet love that not too pretentious, not too juvenile Pixar films usually get. If it wasn't for the international markets, the same ones that saved Warcraft, ID:R would have probably done so so and fell to the bottom on its second week, never to be heard of again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by these results at all

Well... a little surprised that Tarzan managed to do that good. I had a feeling BFG wouldn't do well, and it did slightly worse than I thought it would. They were insane to release it too close to Finding Dory, as that's been proven a picture that's more kid friendly and better reviewed. The Purge managed to become very profitable because of its low budget. ID:R couldn't even make it on ID weekend.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Wow at The BFG, for the 4-day weekend it managed just $22 million, and it's opening weekend was just $18 million this is going to be a massive flop, it'll probably end up with a $60 million domestic total, and that's being optimistic and with a budget of $140 million, it'll be one of the biggest flops since Mars Needs Moms, seriously even in the foriegn markets it only has $3.9 million, so it's probably not going to make up it's poor domestic results. I mean a Muppet movie would have been much more cost effective, and at worse would have broken even, just saying. The Legend of Tarzan also didn't do well opening with $38 million and $45 million for the 4-day opening weekend, now those numbers are pretty good, but more for a cheap comedy, Tarzan has a whopping $180 million budget, so it'll be lucky to break even, though it probably ends up around a $130 million domestic total, still losing money for the studio, maybe it could make it up at the foriegn box office, probably not. On a more positive note, The Purge 3 opened to $31 million, a bit above the second movie and managed $34 million for the 4-day weekend, that's good because it only has a budget of $10 million, it's a big hit for the studio, and therre will most certaintly be a fourth one. Also, Finding Dory continues to be a monster, now having a $380 million domestic total, though I'm a bit sad that it'll end up beating Shrek 2 with a $441 million domestic total and become the highest grossing animated film domestically, Shrek has held that record for a long time. But Finding Dory is underwhelming a bit at the foriegn box office with only $167 million total, but it'll likely pick up, and Finding Dory will probably become the highest grossing animated movie worldwide beating Frozen's record, it seems like something new keeps beating the record so quickly now.