Building a Puppet with an Unusual Head Shape.

Abnormtoons

Reaction score
hello everyone. I'm trying to make a puppet of my character norm to display at my studio. I've seen some soft foam puppet being made, like the video from Tested. But my character has an usual head shape. Like a golf putter cover. If you see my avatar pic then you'll know what I'm talking about. Almost like a boot shape. I just don't know how to make it with foam. It won't have a mouth cause my character doesn't have a mouth. Any thoughts? Help! Don't want to spend my money realizing I can't make one .
Please help I'm just a cartoonist

Mary Bird

Reaction score
As someone who is an idiot who never uses patterns and just wings it all of the time (see profile picture for my giant Bird puppet), I'd recommend getting some of that really cheap foam sheeting from a craft store (it's usually about .75 here where I live) and using that to play around with shapes and how to cut pieces to get whatever look you're going for. It's a good way to experiment without breaking the bank. Then, once you've got something you like, use those pieces as patterns when you get actual foam.

Abnormtoons

Reaction score
I was thinking of using a golf putter head cover pattern. Or cover a head cover with fabric and then make the body

SandPunk

Reaction score
It strikes me that you could do two sides in an elongated lowercase b shape with a long strip sandwiched between them. THen just shave the edges to round it off maybe.

SandPunk

Reaction score
Glad to hear! As far as shaving the edges, I suppose a rotary tool or just sandpaper would suffice.

Abnormtoons

Reaction score
I don't know how to post pics on here. But on my avatar you can see the finished puppet. The clothing was everyone's favorite, they're actually a pair of boys shorts and t shirt from an infant, and shoes from a 3 month year old baby. (I bought them, didn't steal them). The eyes were tricky cause in the cartoon, it's just black dots. So I used stuffed animal black eyes. I didn't give him ears cause it was a pain. The head is 100% foam. The fez is the only thing I need. There is a craft store, that sells a hat the size I need. So I'm just going to cut the brim off. And use butcher string for the fez string. But I'm done. Would I do one again, no.... Maybe if I had people to help me. Everyone wants one! But it's about 6 days of work.