Finding Dory coming to theaters Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

So, based on this trailer, this appears to not be a prequel like was speculated, but a direct sequel to FINDING NEMO.

Already, I'm mixed on this: on the one hand, I love Dory, and she definitely stole the show in FINDING NEMO, but can she really carry a movie herself? Also, the story of someone going on a quest to find their family? Played.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
:boo: Finding Dori?
:sleep: We already found her.
:boo: Good, can we leave then?

Ladies and gentlefins, Pixar's big 30th anniversary movie. *Shrugs.
:fishy: Hey, maybe Dori would want to team up for a new boomerang fish act?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
:boo: Finding Dori?
:sleep: We already found her.
:boo: Good, can we leave then?

Ladies and gentlefins, Pixar's big 30th anniversary movie. *Shrugs.
:fishy: Hey, maybe Dori would want to team up for a new boomerang fish act?
Dory could make a great Muppet :wink:

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, based on this trailer, this appears to not be a prequel like was speculated, but a direct sequel to FINDING NEMO.
I knew all along this was going to be a sequel, as did many others.

Already, I'm mixed on this: on the one hand, I love Dory, and she definitely stole the show in FINDING NEMO, but can she really carry a movie herself?
I'm still hoping the sharks and the Tank Gang are able to appear, too. The latter seems like they could use a follow-up on how they're doing with the whole living in the ocean thing.

Also, the story of someone going on a quest to find their family? Played.
Any more played than a father in search of his missing son?

Like in Finding Nemo, it's not so much the destination, but the journey that made it interesting. We'll see if the sequel keeps that up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Already, I'm mixed on this: on the one hand, I love Dory, and she definitely stole the show in FINDING NEMO, but can she really carry a movie herself? Also, the story of someone going on a quest to find their family? Played.
I feel the same way about it, though it does feel like it's the movie it should be.

Pixar only made one prequel, and that was Monsters University. And...well... prequels don't really get good press because a good prequel is a rare thing. Say what you ill about the not liked Star Wars ones, I can't think of a single prequel that anyone liked, unless it was some expanded universe novel or something. But Monsters U did a prequel the right way. And that was reverse engineering character development from the first film and playing it out. Mike was a funny monster in the end of the first film, he seems to be Sully's scaring coach, and they found a way to get that backstory to work, all the while delivering a hopeful yet realistic message at the end. The only prequel trap they fall into is the dreaded "characters that would never be referred to because they don't really exist" paradox. They managed to find ways to get George and Randall in the plot, but obviously the new characters don't exist beyond the original film. other than that, they made a film that doesn't take away from the original with their explanations. Something...pfft...never been done.

As for this sequel, I do like the set up, but it's one they pretty much hinted at. The only twist is that Dory is actually starting to remember things, and the realization of why she was wandering around in the first film. I do think there is a good story there, and it's not so much Dory holding the film up as the potential for her undefined backstory being the fuel for the film. If they can just keep the emotional punch of the first movie, but find a new angle for it, I have faith in this movie. And to be honest, the only off sequel Pixar made so far was of a film that has its fanbase consisting mainly of 4-8 year olds anyway (Cars). And even then, I'll admit that if there's one improvement over the first film, it was much more visually stunning.

Of course, the Finding Dory movie had me at this poster...

Bridget

Reaction score
Saw the trailer, and so far, I think I'm "hooked"... See what I did there? No? *Ahem* Anyhow, not to nitpick.. But does the water look a little cheaper to anyone compared to the original? But ultimately, what can I say? I've been waiting on this sequel since I was three or four years old! So I am very excited, and I will definitely be knocking kids out of my way to go and see it. This, The Jungle Book, and The Incredibles 2 are on my list of MUST sees!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyhow, not to nitpick.. But does the water look a little cheaper to anyone compared to the original?
That was one of the problems I had with the Ice Age sequels: since the original, all of the extra creatures in the movie have a really silly, cartoonish look to them, like those turtle thangs.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Saw the trailer, and so far, I think I'm "hooked"... See what I did there? No? *Ahem* Anyhow, not to nitpick.. But does the water look a little cheaper to anyone compared to the original? But ultimately, what can I say? I've been waiting on this sequel since I was three or four years old! So I am very excited, and I will definitely be knocking kids out of my way to go and see it. This, The Jungle Book, and The Incredibles 2 are on my list of MUST sees!
May just be because you're watching it on a small YT video.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe, like most trailers, the CGI isn't exactly completed, but they wanted to get something out there. I didn't see a real difference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.