Bits you'd like to see re-done for today's show

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Redoing skits to fit the consistency of show proper shouldn't sound like someone's paving over memories, since those memories are still being distributed by SW.
Well again, you assume it's easy as pie to recreate a good sketch. If it was that easy, those sketches wouldn't be worth much at all. There's nothing wrong with the original sketches and I refuse to let planned obsolesent technology tell me otherwise.

People raise their kids differently.
I don't like parents sending the message to children that "oh don't worry, all the old fuddy duddy sketches are for us and the flashy, new stuff is all for you! Don't you be bothered with anything old even if it is better!" Kids won't grow up with an appreciation of history or art that way. The older sketches aren't "just for us."

Sorry if I seem grumpy about it; I'm just frustrated with that trend in entertainment.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd agree... but then again consider this. Sketches were redone as early as the second season. Specifically Rubber Duckie and I Love Trash. Then of course there were those redone in the 80's (Big Bird's ABCDEFG song and I Love Trash again), and some in the 90's ( C is for Cookie and Rubber Duckie a second time). And what do they all have in common? They've been refilmed with current puppets. I Love Trash and ABCDEFG desperately needed remakes to update the characters, especially since Orange Oscar and Bullwinkle Bird didn't last beyond a season or two.

I can't think of a better way to keep the classic music coming than just updating songs every decade with new visuals. Didn't they do like 10 different versions of Sing in the past 20 years?

Comedic sketches is another thing, and I'd understand that a lot better. However, they do stealthily accomplish that by just using the same jokes over and over.

But what I want to see is remade versions of street stories. And like that last example, they manage to do the same street stories over and over the same season. Mostly due to the initiative focuses. They did try this a while back with the Cookie Flu being a sort of remake of an episode featuring The Count.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd agree... but then again consider this. Sketches were redone as early as the second season. Specifically Rubber Duckie and I Love Trash. Then of course there were those redone in the 80's (Big Bird's ABCDEFG song and I Love Trash again), and some in the 90's ( C is for Cookie and Rubber Duckie a second time). And what do they all have in common? They've been refilmed with current puppets. I Love Trash and ABCDEFG desperately needed remakes to update the characters, especially since Orange Oscar and Bullwinkle Bird didn't last beyond a season or two.
Then the question comes up, does the show still retain the same level of quality it once did that it could carry off a successful remake? I'm skeptical.

But what I want to see is remade versions of street stories.
That I admit I wouldn't mind as much. :smile:

10Cakes

Reaction score
I'd love to see them redo some of the old Ernie and Bert skits. Just to make them HD and fit them on the show. I don't really know which ones I'd like to see specifically, though. The Pizza and Grape drink one has always been a favorite of mine.
That would be awesome. It would definitely be hard for me to decide which Ernie and Bert ones I'd like to see. Some of the ones I loved were the Rhyming Game, Ernie gets Bert Warm, the Electric Fan, and the Egyptian Pyramid.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I Love Trash and ABCDEFG desperately needed remakes to update the characters, especially since Orange Oscar and Bullwinkle Bird didn't last beyond a season or two.
Bullwinkle Bird? Lol. So I'm not the only one that noted early BB sounded more like Bullwinkle especially when Danny Seargen voiced him.

I don't know how well remakes would work, especially for Ernie and Bert skits, they'd have Steve and Eric doing the lines, and as talented as those puppeteers are, having Jim and Frank perform them is sort of what made these so classic and memorable, just my opinion anyway.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Since season 44, they've been doing a lot more classic style Muppet sketches such as the one where Prairie Dawn is a Sweety Scout, the three Guy Smiley sketches from seasons 44 and 45, the sketches with Abby and Cookie, Grover and Rosita talking about triangles, Grover demonstrating, etc . So I was thinking this was a great time to bump the thread.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll restate it. I really think that the show could really use more remakes of iconic songs like Rubber Duckie and I Love Trash. And these don't have to be "GAAAAHHH!!! My Childhood" complete reimaginings. Maybe rerecord the songs with more current vocals, as in whoever currently plays each character for consistency's sake. The show has all those great old songs that get re-released on soundtracks eternally that haven't been seen on the show since maybe the mid-00's. These would not be meant to replace the old versions of which there are sooooo many DVD, CD, and internet releases already. This would just reintroduce the songs into the show without having to use old footage that's inconsistent with the look and sound of the show. As in, the originals will still exist and this is specifically for the 4 year olds watching, so your precious memories are safe.

As for a total skit remake, know what I personally want to see? Cookie Monster's song parody "Health Food," but done entirely as a parody of the Aerosmith version of the song, not the Run D.M.C. collaboration. I'm sure enough parents listen to 80's rock that it wouldn't be too obscure. And it would be a much better sight than the last time they covered it, stripping away all the 80's rappiness out of it, and replacing it with bland visuals.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'll restate it. I really think that the show could really use more remakes of iconic songs like Rubber Duckie and I Love Trash. And these don't have to be "GAAAAHHH!!! My Childhood" complete reimaginings. Maybe rerecord the songs with more current vocals, as in whoever currently plays each character for consistency's sake. The show has all those great old songs that get re-released on soundtracks eternally that haven't been seen on the show since maybe the mid-00's. These would not be meant to replace the old versions of which there are sooooo many DVD, CD, and internet releases already. This would just reintroduce the songs into the show without having to use old footage that's inconsistent with the look and sound of the show. As in, the originals will still exist and this is specifically for the 4 year olds watching, so your precious memories are safe.
Well they are at least remaking Rubber Duckie for season 47.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm guessing we'd be looking at a new recording with Billy's Ernie which is good, but it would be nice if they'd replay the original with Jim as Ernie. But I see what you mean, with the new HD format and everything replaying old classics is definitely a rarity, but remakes are always a good idea.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This isn't really an old skit but it's not in HD so they probably won't air it anymore (and they haven't since like season 41) one of my favorite Ernie and Bert skits was the "Wake Up" song. I'd love to see them remake that.