Your Thoughts: Fozzie Bear on @Midnight with Chris Hardwick Tuesday May 24, 2016

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wonderful episode. Mild NSFW language and content (as with any @midnight episode). Eric did a great job with Fozzie. I wasn't sure how it would work out, with the Muppets being more kid friendly and putting them with more raunchy comedians, but it was hysterical.
Have to admit, other than Kristen Schaal trolling Fozzie with that one joke, it was pretty tame. Heck, even if it wasn't for Fozzie, I was excited at Louise Belcher/Mabel Pines and Derranged Billionaire John Hodgeman. Kinda wish they got Ron Funches instead of him, though. He's always good. Loved how the audience completely booed at the fact The Muppets was cancelled, and Chris Hardwick was absolutely optimistic about the potential for new Muppet projects. I have to admit, I do really like this show and I didn't think I would that one night I caught it a while back. I mean, the host is Craig Slithers/the better Otis the cow. He's certainly a Muppet fan and he had a ball with this one.

And I love how Fozzie's jokes were perfectly in character, especially the meme at the end. They were his usual lame but trying, endearing puns. Just loved him staying perfectly in character the entire time.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Really enjoyed it. I too loved how Fozzie stayed in character and tried not to do any off colored jokes like the others did. I loved how when Chris mentioned about the Muppet cancellation that everyone cheered and Chris said "You just cheered about the Muppets getting cancelled.

And thing about Chris being woke up form a coma in the hospital and telling the doctors about a dream he had about Fozzie explaining Bear Buns to Kristen.

I really hope that ABC or another network sees the potential of having Muppets on TV and that they can make a come back without being tame or lame.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Nice to see Fozzie Bear doing appearances after being cheated out of having a part in much of the second half of The Muppets.

fufumuppet

Reaction score
I really liked this and I think that Kristen Schaal interacted with Fozzie very well. I think my favorite part was discussing the new Muppet shows that could come into existence :smile:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I like when Chris addresed how the audience was just blindly cheering, and ended up cheering for the muppets' cancellation. At least they actually liked the show, because they stopped cheering.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Nice to see Fozzie Bear doing appearances after being cheated out of having a part in much of the second half of The Muppets.
I'm sure he would've had plenty to do in season 2, besides he was way overused in the first half of season 1. I think season 1 part 2 was a much needed break, although I do feel he should have had more to do in the series finale.

jobi71

Reaction score
I'm sure he would've had plenty to do in season 2, besides he was way overused in the first half of season 1. I think season 1 part 2 was a much needed break, although I do feel he should have had more to do in the series finale.
Of course they didn't know it was the series finale - just the end of season 1. I am sure if they knew he would have had some time.

I know people have commented that The Muppets didn't use enough of (fill in the character's name here). The Muppet show had at least one "cheat" I'll call it and one "practicality" will be my other term.

The cheating version: Some characters could appear only in an onstage number and not be involved in the backstage plot of the episode. An example would be Miss Piggy in the John Cleese episode. This is one of my top three episodes and I wasn't aware of her absence until I owned the DVD and saw for the first time the UK number of her singing Waiting at the Church with Kermit. The version I knew she didn't appear - not even on the Swinetreck. Basically characters could have a presence in episodes where they didn't have a plot.

The practicality version: With few exceptions the two main locations on The Muppet Show - Onstage (and I will include Statler and Waldorf's box here). Or backstage (and I will include the dressing rooms here). All of the characters had valid and logical reasons for being there. Therefore if you wanted to have Gonzo speak to Floyd it was easy. They could chat anywhere back stage. You want a musical number featuring Zoot, Janice, Nigel and Wayne (and others)? Have them sing back up to Pearl Bailey. In the new show the spaces were too well defined. Kermit had an office. Piggy had an office. Heck, even Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe had an office. I think there was too much separation. Atoms need to collide to make explosions. They did have a few scenes in the conference room. But it always was for a conference with Kermit telling the gang...whatever the plot point was. They did not make good use of the bullpen where most of the minions of Up Late (i.e. Bunsen, Lew, Beautiful Day Monster etc) spent their time. Rowlf's Tavern was criminally under used.

Just my two cents. And sorry Pig's Laundry only about the first two sentences reply to your comment.