Favorite Non-Henson Puppets?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Unless you're in region 2 or have a player that can play Region 2 DVDs, afraid you'll be out of luck on Spitting Image. I've been coveting the box set containing all the series for years, but haven't gotten it because I couldn't play it.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Unless you're in region 2 or have a player that can play Region 2 DVDs, afraid you'll be out of luck on Spitting Image. I've been coveting the box set containing all the series for years, but haven't gotten it because I couldn't play it.
Bah, curse that whole "Region" thing with DVD players:grr:. I tried to watch Robocop on my mother's labtop a week ago, but it said it could only play Region 1 DVDs; so far as I know it IS a region 1 DVD, but my mother says there's something wrong with her DVD player. So I couldn't watch Spitting Image even if I legally bought the box set? Good grief, the "Region" rule seems to encourage piracy in that respect; if people can't LEGALLY watch a DVD, why not watch it illegally:confused:.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm just going to copypasta this from a similar thread I made, completely forgetting about this one.

Anyone remember The Adventures of Timmy the Tooth? It was a series of dental-themed puppet shows released exclusively on home video that employed a couple of Henson people, including the late Michael Earl (and much like Veggietales and its lack of healthy eating lessons, Timmy and his friends don't preach the importance of oral hygiene). These definitely had a bit of a budget to them, as you can tell by their eye moving/blinking mechanisms. I especially love the design of the main antagonist and real saving grace of the show, the Cavity Goon. He's like Oscar the Grouch crossed with Jack W. Tweeg. :smile:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
there is a lot of non Henson puppets, that I liked as a kid. like the puppets on pinwheel, and Fred penner's place. if you don't who Fred penner is, he was like Canada's Jim Henson. and I also liked miss peach of Kelly school, that was a cute little show, it had a human teacher whose name is miss peach, and puppet students. and the ones mentioned above, I also liked today's special, the show took place in a department store, that had characters, human Jody a employee in the department store, Sam a human puppet, who was a security guard, Jeff a manikin in the store, who came to life , when they said a magic word. which was, hocus pocus alimgocus. however that is spelled, also a mouse named muffy, she was the main one who said the magic word and bring Jeff to life. and a show called book mice , which took place , you guest it, in a library. it had a human librarian, named Stephanie. and three mice puppets, named Norbert, zazzy, and Leon. and finally, professor iris, this show took place in a classroom. it had , a parrot looking puppet named professor iris , who teaches the class. and a class of puppets, that were made up of. a talking piano, a talking flower, and other things. and another parrot looking puppet, that was the principal.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
-Peanut, Walter, Bubba J, and Achmed (Jeff Dunham)
-Ginger, Basil, Root, and Lily (Johnny and the Sprites)
-Everybody from Between the Lions
-ALF
-The Book of Pooh characters
-Zoboomafoo

scooterfan360

Reaction score
-Peanut, Walter, Bubba J, and Achmed (Jeff Dunham)
-Ginger, Basil, Root, and Lily (Johnny and the Sprites)
-Everybody from Between the Lions
-ALF
-The Book of Pooh characters
-Zoboomafoo
omg, I forgot about Alf, which is another one, that I grew up watching.as for the others mentioned here, I watched those with one of my nieces, I was in my twenties, when those aired.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
The Puzzle Place
Eureeka's Castle
Zoboomafoo
Allegra's Window
Between the Lions
Groundling Marsh
Jack's Big Music Show
Johnny and the Sprites

mr3urious

Reaction score
There was this series called Jellybean Jungle, a straight-to-video Sesame Street/Barney cash-in that's pretty run-of-the-mill in terms of content. But I really like how the puppets look-- very solidly-built with some of them even having blinking mechanisms. Gotta love how primitive the CGI in the intro looks today, but by the standards of the decade, it was something spectacular. :smile:

It was released straight to VHS in the '90s by Celebrity's Just for Kids Home Video, the same bargain bin label used for poorly-dubbed Eastern European cartoons and Gamera movies. But all the episodes (at least I think that's all of them) can be seen on YouTube, one of which I'll post here. Seems like the owners of JJ are running one of those infamous kiddy channels with extremely low-quality productions designed to take advantage of inept parents who just want something to shut their brats up, though frequently using their own puppets.

Last edited: