ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Everyone in Muppetdom (fans, puppeteers, producers) should put a funding collection together, buy the franchise then give the characters to either Steve Whitmire, the performers as a collective or back to the Jim Henson Company.

Stupid idea, I know. But they are the people I'd prefer them to be in the hands of.

OR give them to me. With a little financial backing, I could come up with some pretty funky ideas :smile:
Oh give it up will you! It's over. Will never see the Muppets on tv again and ABC will die.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
I thought this would happen, but it still sucks to have it officially canceled. :frown:

The unfortunate reality of TV today is that if you don't make a good first impression you're probably screwed. The show started off too controversial, and that was that. I'm certain that if the show started like it ended we'd be getting a second season for sure.

I really hope Netflix or Hulu or some other channel picks it up. I don't have either of those things, but I'd gladly buy a subscription just to watch The Muppets.

What I hate the most about this is that I'm worried we'll never get as much focus on the non main Muppets for a long time. Uncle Deadly went from a character I knew in name only to one of my favorite Muppets! Yolanda wasn't just some background character, she was actually involved with the show. It was great to see another female Muppet fleshed out a bit. We not only FINALLY got to see Robin again, but he had an entire episode centered around him! I could go on, but you get the point. These types of things are why I was so excited for the show to begin with. With a movie you don't have time for all this, but a TV show can explore all these other characters.

At least we can buy the show digitally. I'd prefer DVD/blu-ray but at least it's something.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Like Jim, I'm just being ridiculously optimistic. The show is over, but the Muppets aren't. I firmly believe they will move on. It's fine if you don't, but please don't come raining over my parade.
I'm sorry, I'm just upset and starting to give up hope.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
I'm sadden by this news. Not surprised at all, but very saddened.

Whether or not we see something significant from The Muppets again (ie a show or movie), at least we have a bunch of Muppety goodness to look back on. I really enjoyed this new series. It was a breath of fresh air in a television landscape dominated by reality tv trash, fake competition shows, heavy artsy dramas, and uncreative comedy.

I do hope someone like Netflix or Hulu picks up the series and allows The Muppets to thrive without the hindrance of network TV politics.