Invisible puppeteers?

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
Hi,
So as some of you may know I am a very big muppets fan,and I noticed that in the muppets movies and shows almost in every show or movie made,the muppets apear like nobody is controling them like they walk by themselves,also with no handrodes,obviously this is impossible...

So first I thought it was a simple computer trick,but now I am not so sure about it,because in some scenes it looks almost impossible to make a full puppeteer invisible,also they apear that way since the 80s...

Does anybody know how they do that? i'd love to hear some information about this.

Here are a few videos so you'l understand what I'm talking about:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They do a lot of CGI and chromakey these days.

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
They do a lot of CGI and chromakey these days.
I know,but It is realy hard making something invisble during a video with a moving perspective with chromakey I dont think they would make the effort on a regular episode basis,and CGI might be possible in the third video i posted but not on piggy's videos it looks just too real,and as I said you can find videos like these from the 80s with some realy good qaulity.

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
Is there anyone else that REALY knows what methods have been used based on reliable information?

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
The person above is correct. They use a lot of chroma key and CGI. Their rods are edited out in post, and with full body shots, they have puppeteers in full body suits.

There's your proof!
Cool! thanks for the effort!

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
The person above is correct. They use a lot of chroma key and CGI. Their rods are edited out in post, and with full body shots, they have puppeteers in full body suits.

There's your proof!
P.s is the "sorry" video of MissPiggy I posted was made with cgi? and Where did you get those photos??

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
P.s is the "sorry" video of MissPiggy I posted was made with cgi? and Where did you get those photos??
The sorry video was most likely puppeteered by someone in a full body suit like above, although I can't say that with 100% certainty. All those pictures were from Muppet Wiki. You should check it out sometime. They probably have answers to all of your questions!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is actually a very, very old puppetry technique...the Muppets have been using variations of it since the 1960s. Stage puppeteers have been doing variations of this live using special lighting and black curtains for at least a century.

Here's a neat video of Paul McGuiness, Eric Wright and Haley Jenkins demonstrating it (not Muppets, but they've all worked with the Muppets or on Sesame Street at various times)

Erine81981

Reaction score
This is actually a very, very old puppetry technique...the Muppets have been using variations of it since the 1960s. Stage puppeteers have been doing variations of this live using special lighting and black curtains for at least a century.

Here's a neat video of Paul McGuiness, Eric Wright and Haley Jenkins demonstrating it (not Muppets, but they've all worked with the Muppets or on Sesame Street at various times)

That was cool! I really did love that. I'll have to post this on Facebook now to show all my friends who don't think that Puppets aren't cool.