The Darkwing Duck Thread

Erine81981

Reaction score
Completely out of the blue with no advanced warning from Comic Book Resources, a new Darkwing Duck comic just surfaced in the same continuity and the same artist as the Boom comics from shockingly a while ago. That was a pleasant surprise, even though I had to not buy TMNT again this month for it (making me 2 issues behind, but they didn't have it in today anyway).
I wished I had a comic book shop or at least a store that sold comics. I don't get to read much comics unless I get to go out of town and just happen to find one that I didn't know was out or has been. But cool to know of. I'll have to keep a look out for it when I go to Dallas.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I wished I had a comic book shop or at least a store that sold comics. I don't get to read much comics unless I get to go out of town and just happen to find one that I didn't know was out or has been. But cool to know of. I'll have to keep a look out for it when I go to Dallas.
They've got this store called "Half Price Books" and it's headquarters are in Dallas. It's pretty big store and it's so amazing! It's got countless comic books, Muppet DVDs, kids DVDs, VHS, old records, CDs, conveniences such as headphones and mp3 players. There are collectible super hero toys and mugs, classic cartoon collectbles from the 50s,60s,70s, 80s,90s and 2000s. In other words, it's a nerd's dream.

You can also sale your books, DVDs, Video tapes, CDs or what have you to the store.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I just wish I had prior warning about it. Someone told me "I saw that there's going to be new Darkwing Duck comics from Facebook" and I'm like, yeah...sure. They announced that would happen over a year ago and nothing happened. I hadn't heard anything about it on comic news sites since. This came totally under the radar.

And yeah, it's as good as you'd expect. Chock full of continuity of both the 2009 comics and the original TV series. I think even a passing reference to the Disney Adventures comics. One shot villains got some appearances in, and that was great. It shared a preview for a Gravity Falls comic that is, unfortunately, one of those "cinemanga" things where they just take screenshots and dialogue from an episode of the series. I never was a fan of those, but at least the screenshots aren't grainy.

Erine81981

Reaction score
They've got this store called "Half Price Books" and it's headquarters are in Dallas. It's pretty big store and it's so amazing! It's got countless comic books, Muppet DVDs, kids DVDs, VHS, old records, CDs, conveniences such as headphones and mp3 players. There are collectible super hero toys and mugs, classic cartoon collectbles from the 50s,60s,70s, 80s,90s and 2000s. In other words, it's a nerd's dream.

You can also sale your books, DVDs, Video tapes, CDs or what have you to the store.
Yep and I have been there. It is a nerds dream. I don't know if I'll go there this coming trip or not but still thanks for mention it. I normally like to ask if there has been any new things that my friends have happened to find while being down there and if their dad has told them about any stores he remembers since he's lived there most of his life. One thing I'm going to buy is a Nintendo 64 just cause of a lot of games that I want to play on it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Personally, I just wish I had prior warning about it. Someone told me "I saw that there's going to be new Darkwing Duck comics from Facebook" and I'm like, yeah...sure. They announced that would happen over a year ago and nothing happened. I hadn't heard anything about it on comic news sites since. This came totally under the radar.

And yeah, it's as good as you'd expect. Chock full of continuity of both the 2009 comics and the original TV series. I think even a passing reference to the Disney Adventures comics. One shot villains got some appearances in, and that was great. It shared a preview for a Gravity Falls comic that is, unfortunately, one of those "cinemanga" things where they just take screenshots and dialogue from an episode of the series. I never was a fan of those, but at least the screenshots aren't grainy.
They announced it a year ago but it's release date was put on hold when the Ducktales reboot came out, as well as rumors that Disney Afternoon characters would make their way into Disney Infinity. I guess Disney wanted to consider all of their options for the characters before going forward with the Darwking comic project. The comic went back into production in the fall, so now it's finally out and ready.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know it was announced a year ago, but that's the funny thing about announcements. Like there's a good ratio (I'm not going to make up a figure) of those things that actually are seen through and absolutely happen to those which are on varying levels of "This was just a rumor that never made it to the concept stage," "the license wasn't able to be secured," or "we were going to do it, but we never got around to it." And everywhere in between.

I mean, look how bloody long it took us to get that second issue of Sesame Street. And I'm sure part of that had to have been a change up in the license. The second and third issues are thematically different than the first one and is clearly written more for kids than previously. I swear they premiered the "Smarter, Kinder, Stronger, Faster, Better" message in the second issue. It's clearly mentioned somewhere. Then of course there was the announcement of more Family Guy comics under a different publisher and hopefully better writers that never happened. I was at least optimistic that a DW comic would happen in some case sometime in the future, it was just a matter of when. Plus, I check Comic Book Resources daily for previews of what's coming out that week because I have to move money around if more than one I collect comes out. Didn't see a preview or announcement of it's debut even up to comic book release day.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but any thoughts on the Darkwing: First Darkness, The Making of episode of the new Ducktales series?

Such total weirdness that plays into the stuff that made me laugh.
Jim Cummings voices Jim Starling who is the "original" Darkwing Duck who hears about the making of the new movie and crashes the production.
Launchpad's total fandom.
The new actor kid portraying Darkwing in the making of the movie is finally revealed to be Drake Mallard, voiced by a different actor.
The ending... Jim Starling embraces a Michael Keaton-esque Birdman mindset, proclaiming that he'll give them all a grimmer and grittier character, so does that mean he's now embraced his Negaduck persona?

*SMH. :laugh: :confused: :fanatic:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but any thoughts on the Darkwing: First Darkness, The Making of episode of the new Ducktales series?

Such total weirdness that plays into the stuff that made me laugh.
Jim Cummings voices Jim Starling who is the "original" Darkwing Duck who hears about the making of the new movie and crashes the production.
Launchpad's total fandom.
The new actor kid portraying Darkwing in the making of the movie is finally revealed to be Drake Mallard, voiced by a different actor.
The ending... Jim Starling embraces a Michael Keaton-esque Birdman mindset, proclaiming that he'll give them all a grimmer and grittier character, so does that mean he's now embraced his Negaduck persona?

*SMH. :laugh: :confused: :fanatic:
They are definitely teasing us with a DW reboot, if anything. :smile:

And even though they're going to re-cast just about everyone just like with DuckTales, I'm wondering who will voice Gosalyn? I could see Lara Jill Miller or Kari Wahlgren take on the role. Bushroot would be a little harder to nail down seeing as Tino Insana had a pretty distinctive voice. And even though he's still alive, if Tim Curry is still in poor health to voice Taurus Bulba again, the next best thing would be Alfred Molina or John de Lancie.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Bushroot would be a little harder to nail down seeing as Tino Insana had a pretty distinctive voice.
Are you kidding me? His voice was just a poor man's Wallace Shawn to me. Just find someone who can do a good Wallace Shawn impression and boom, problem solved.

:crazy:: DID SOMEBODY SAY BOOM?!?!?!?!
Me: Uhhh…..
*explosion*

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, if they can't get Kath Soussy to reprise her role, I'd nominate Cree Summers as Morgana since I can most of the times pick out her voice like Roxanne Featherly, the replacement for the Barbara Walters parody character from the original Ducktales in the current series.

What I would not like is the same voice actress who portrayed Magica in the new Ducktales. Sure, you'd have the one actress voicing Morgana Macawbre as good witch versus Magica DeSpell bad witch, but then I'd have no idea which of the two characters would be speaking during the fight between the two. Which is what annoyed me during Winks Club Season 4: Beyond Believex when four out of the six main Winks were pretty much similar voicewise only discernable due to the selection of magical attacks each performed/called out.