Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. The toilet one I'm ambivalent about. It's stupid, but one of the episodes earlier on where the "Titans obsess over something stupid" episodes were spaced out among episodes that at least reference them being Super Heroes.

But I look at the episodes that intend to troll the audience that never was going to like this series anyway and I get a little sadistic pleasure out of them. I see reboots, revivals, and stuff like that where the writers really want the original's audience on their side and make all these great little references and say "HEY! We watched the same cartoon as you did and we want to continue it" and then a certain percentage of the fanbase acts completely horrible to them. Off the top of my head, Transformers Animated, let's say. But the trolling episodes, mean as they may come off, seem to be a deal of venting frustration for them. I really hope the new PPG writers don't get that angry and bitter that their fanbase is constantly whining about their revival.

To me, if they at least reference the characters as being heroes and having nods to them in specific situations, that's good. At least give me the sense that I'm watching Teen Titans: The Omake Series. It's the episodes where any cartoon character can be shoved in and the show would be exactly the same that are my last holdout of annoyance, and we've had a LOT of those season 3.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Tonight's "Finally a Lesson" episode was about Robin trying to get the others involved in real estate economics, even going so far as to buy a dilapidated ghetto apartment building as an investment, and then, if that wasn't bad enough, evicting the residents so they can re-lease the building and jack up the rent.

As The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy would say, "Worst episode ever."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I stand by that the worst episode is "I'm the Sauce."

This one actually had me laughing because of how completely adult the subject matter was. Sure, it's one thing that they managed to sneak in Beast Boy beckoning Raven over for something incredibly obvious. But to do an episode about real estate investments and pass it off as everyone already knowing the recurring pro-social values they usually teach, that's actually kinda clever.

Plus, at least they sort of fought some supervillains in this one...so yay I guess?

mr3urious

Reaction score
This one actually had me laughing because of how completely adult the subject matter was. Sure, it's one thing that they managed to sneak in Beast Boy beckoning Raven over for something incredibly obvious. But to do an episode about real estate investments and pass it off as everyone already knowing the recurring pro-social values they usually teach, that's actually kinda clever.
It also seemed to be a tongue-in-cheek parody of shoehorned lessons in kids' shows, but instead of the obvious pro-social stuff, they went with something that its target audience wouldn't understand until they're much older. Once again, it's the meta-ness of it all that makes this work. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel it was much more clever than the Pyramid Scheme episode where they were playing an adult concern straight. Well... straight enough that it wasn't a meta joke, but straight none the less. The more I think about it, the more I think this show would have worked better on adult swim, where they already have a handle on the Crime Fighting Team that doesn't really fight crime genre.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll just come out and say it.

Anything with Lady Legasus automatically makes an episode epic. It's funny how it takes that to make a cartoon about Super Heroes actually a show about Super Heroes. In this case, Raven has to fight her teammates who have become corrupted by the power of their own leg muscles. An action packed TTG episode? That's the magic of Dem Legs!

Seriously. That and "You don't Mess with the JEFF!!" are the best things the show has to offer. I wanna see more of The Jeff.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now we're back to Meh-ville with the latest episode. The other Titans speak in Pig Latin to deter Robin from being a creepy eavesdropper, leaving him to try to decipher it himself (which I admit was a pretty funny scene). Eventually, it's revealed that Titans are part of a cult led by alien pigs planning to destroy the world.

I'm sure Regular Show would have done this kind of thing better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At least it was an alien conspiracy instead of journeying to the magic land of such and such. I guess that's a step up.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yet another brilliant and hilarious meta episode. The Titans learn about the powers fans can bring, no matter how small. They also learn that in trying to gain new fans, you risk losing the ones you already have.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Certainly more than makes up for the last episode.

Seems this one was much more self deprecating than a huge middle finger. I especially like how Robin felt a little hurt that even their one fan liked the original Teen Titans series over this one.

Wonder if Wally T was some contest winner or something.