The breakfast cereal thread

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Growing up, the cereals I usually had were Big G brands, usually Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams (why don't they give it the attention it deserves? It's really good.), Kix, and Cheerios and its varieties. From other companies, I like Frosted Flakes,Apple Jacks, and Raisin Bran, (Kellogg's), Waffle Crisp and some Honey Bunches of Oats varieties (Post), All 3 Life versions, (Quaker), and that cereal with the realistic-looking gorillas on the front that I haven't got in years and therefore for the life of me can't figure out the name of.
Also, I don't really like Fruit Loops, and Fruity Pebbles. I wish there was a TON more Green Apple flavored cereals, for Green Apple flavored stuff is AWESOME. I love that artificial green apple taste, and real Granny Smiths too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like Fruit Pebbles myself, but Froot Loops does seem to be a really unpopular brand of cereal - I don't eat often, unless for something different, and I don't have any problems with it, but some people out there seem to be of the opinion that it tastes like cough medicine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got to thinking, and I'm sure Drtooth can weigh in on this, but remember how back in the day, it seemed like almost every PBS show was sponsored by at least one cereal?
Oh but NO McDonalds! NEVER McDonalds! That's the one specific junk food that's specifically making kids fat. Well not my kids, because as an upper middle class mother in a good neighborhood that's pretty much removed from the economic and social reality of others, I simply must impose on them my own specific parenting techniques that barely work on my own kids. And fatty fat fat fat kids gross me out. :rolleyes:

Seriously. THAT stuff slid by without a word, but McD's is the one parental groups got their panties in a bunch? Doesn't matter which political and religious affiliation a parental group is, I just hate them.

Anyway, I was going through a cereal box collection I have and I realized that in the 00's, there were at least 3 different Marshmallow Pebbles cereals. I believe there was also one in the late 90's (Dino themed), but I never got that one. One was Great Gazoo themed and the only one of the three that had special dinosaur and Flintstoney shaped marbits. Another was Barney Rubble themed down to yellow (his hair) and brown (his clothes) pieces, but had round, generic marbits. I want to say it was either butterscotch/caramel or brown sugar vanilla flavored. The third was a S'mores cereal with graham "boulders" and chocolate bone shapes with the same marsmmallow shaped marbits. Had Pebbles, Bamm-Bamm and Dino roasting marshmallows on a camp fire. Easily one of my favorite Pebbles box designs.

There was also Turbo breakfast cereal from when that movie came out that technically was a variation of Marshmallow Pebbles (same round marbits) with Strawberry cereal pieces. Though not under the Pebbles banner, it was pretty much the same cereal with a different name.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Speaking of Pebbles, I grabbed a box of "Ice Cream Pebbles: Rainbow Sherbet Flavor." Discounting the fact sherbet isn't ice cream yet somehow classified as it, I bought this expecting it to be Fruity Pebbles with pieces picked out only to leave Orange, Lime and Raspberry. Somehow, however, I don't know how they got this down, but it actually does taste like sherbet. Maybe they made them extra sweet or something. Maybe they made the orange more pronounced. Anyway, I'm quite impressed.

Then I was wondering. Why Rainbow Sherbet? Aren't there other more ice cream-y flavors? Though we already have Cocoa, so no need for a chocolate ice cream flavor. Maybe vanilla? But they had that with the cupcake flavored one (that tasted like vanilla ice cream, which..gaaaah...whatever).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh but NO McDonalds! NEVER McDonalds! That's the one specific junk food that's specifically making kids fat. Well not my kids, because as an upper middle class mother in a good neighborhood that's pretty much removed from the economic and social reality of others, I simply must impose on them my own specific parenting techniques that barely work on my own kids. And fatty fat fat fat kids gross me out. :rolleyes:
Wasn't McDonald's a sponsor for SST for a while?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wasn't McDonald's a sponsor for SST for a while?
That's my point, and I've discussed this a lot on the Sesame Street part of the forum. My point is, it's completely hypocritical that other junk/convenience foods got a free pass when they sponsored PBS programming, but throw a royal hissy fit when McD's did. And unlike the others, they never once showed or referenced their product.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
That's my point, and I've discussed this a lot on the Sesame Street part of the forum. My point is, it's completely hypocritical that other junk/convenience foods got a free pass when they sponsored PBS programming, but throw a royal hissy fit when McD's did. And unlike the others, they never once showed or referenced their product.
Plus McDonald's never had A Sesame Street fast food promotion.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In 1999 McD's had those Sesame mini beanies. I got a few, just happy they remembered Guy Smiley, Betty Lou, and Sherlock Hemlock. If they ever came out with Roosevelt Franklin, forget it. Who could ask for more.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I thought Kelloggs made them, but anyway I have Grover, Ernie, Bert, Rubber Ducky, & Twiddle bug.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In 1999 McD's had those Sesame mini beanies. I got a few, just happy they remembered Guy Smiley, Betty Lou, and Sherlock Hemlock. If they ever came out with Roosevelt Franklin, forget it. Who could ask for more.
As per my understanding, these things were released in the US as Kellogg's cereal prizes, but were released at a McDonalds in Singapore. But the bean bags were just smalled down versions of the Tyco ones they were selling in stores at that time. No Roosevelt Franklin.

Remember, MuppetWiki is your friend

And here's the page with the minibeans promotion in the US.... here's The McD's Singapore promotion

And for the heck of it, here's The general page for Kelloggs featuring some cereal box scans.