Dealing with depression and anxiety

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! Hope you're doing well (I certainly am ^^)

It has been 2 whole months since I beat self-harming/self-harming urges :smile:

I am doing rather well even if I am in the process of leaving my boyfriend. Now, he and I were raised different religions and while I was looking into converting to his, I wanted to do so in my own time and on my own terms but he didn't like this at all, has given me the ultimatum of: 'change my way, now or I'll never marry you' so, why am I going to waste my time any further?

While I don't regret the time we spent, he is completely against being an interfaith couple so, it hurts that this is suddenly an issue out of nowhere (speaking of, though, I think it's his dad who he can't and won't stand up to) and well, they don't like my mother, my mix or my complexion let alone anything else about me (his older sister commented on 2 different occasions that since I'm of Latin descent he should've found 'a darker one'; when mixed race people can very much be ANY shade out there -_- )

So, then I told him that we need a face to face and he's ignored me since then. I nudged him a little but, since I'm very swamped with school lately he's using that as an excuse to avoid me/the break-up convo.

Sure, we did spend a lot of time that was good but, this out of nowhere and one too many letdowns added up to enough being enough. For example, for his birthday I shelled out big money to get him a real NFL jersey; my mom gave me half of the money for it and 'took collection' from me until I paid her back for the money she gave me. I cooked for him and really gave him my all.

For my birthday though? All I ended up getting was a t-shirt of my favorite baseball team which was 9 sizes too big (it's a Men's shirt and my boyfriend felt the need to make a condescending comment about my team while giving it to me), a FUNKO Pop I mentioned once and didn't even want (it has since been sent to a friend who can't splurge on such a thing and I mentioned it the one time to very specifically say 'that's really dumb, not worth it') and some cheap sugar scrub when he knows I make my own...I do not like my birthday at all and well, this just put the icing on that cake.

But, even that isn't getting me down. I am doing SO well in school and so many great things are happening around me for example, I am a communication honors society student and I have been invited to England for 2 weeks this summer and cannot wait!

Anyway, hope everything is going well for you guys. Much love <33333

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now, he and I were raised different religions and while I was looking into converting to his, I wanted to do so in my own time and on my own terms but he didn't like this at all
You're doing the right thing, Ellie. I don't know how you're feeling about it thus far, but to have a relationship with God through Jesus is something that you have to do for yourself - you shouldn't have to "convert" just because somebody else is pressuring you, and in fact, I find that when people try to force non-believers into Christianity - or any religion for that matter - it does more harm than good. Do you really want to accept Jesus as your Savior, or are you just trying to become a Christian to please your (soon-to-be-ex?) boyfriend? It's your decision, not his, or anybody elses, and it's something that you have to look into for yourself, and see if this is really something you feel in your heart you should do. Like Jerry Seinfeld once said, changing religions is not like just switching toothpastes. It's a pretty big deal. If he's wanting to share the word of the lord with you, that's all well and good, but if he's pressuring you into it for the sake of your relationship, then that's not really the best thing to do.

Again, because you're wanting to do this on your own terms, I think it's commendable for you to do that, though I am sorry that this driving a wedge between you and your boyfriend. Like I said, if he wants you to have a connection with the lord, pressuring you into it is the wrong way to go about it.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I have been better since of the recent death, I have selling some things but, I have gotten Sesame pop series 2 + Kermit & Fozzie from the select line. So in all I feel better.

charlietheowl

Reaction score

I am doing rather well even if I am in the process of leaving my boyfriend. Now, he and I were raised different religions and while I was looking into converting to his, I wanted to do so in my own time and on my own terms but he didn't like this at all, has given me the ultimatum of: 'change my way, now or I'll never marry you' so, why am I going to waste my time any further?

While I don't regret the time we spent, he is completely against being an interfaith couple so, it hurts that this is suddenly an issue out of nowhere (speaking of, though, I think it's his dad who he can't and won't stand up to) and well, they don't like my mother, my mix or my complexion let alone anything else about me (his older sister commented on 2 different occasions that since I'm of Latin descent he should've found 'a darker one'; when mixed race people can very much be ANY shade out there -_- )

So, then I told him that we need a face to face and he's ignored me since then. I nudged him a little but, since I'm very swamped with school lately he's using that as an excuse to avoid me/the break-up convo.

Sure, we did spend a lot of time that was good but, this out of nowhere and one too many letdowns added up to enough being enough. For example, for his birthday I shelled out big money to get him a real NFL jersey; my mom gave me half of the money for it and 'took collection' from me until I paid her back for the money she gave me. I cooked for him and really gave him my all.

For my birthday though? All I ended up getting was a t-shirt of my favorite baseball team which was 9 sizes too big (it's a Men's shirt and my boyfriend felt the need to make a condescending comment about my team while giving it to me), a FUNKO Pop I mentioned once and didn't even want (it has since been sent to a friend who can't splurge on such a thing and I mentioned it the one time to very specifically say 'that's really dumb, not worth it') and some cheap sugar scrub when he knows I make my own...I do not like my birthday at all and well, this just put the icing on that cake.

But, even that isn't getting me down. I am doing SO well in school and so many great things are happening around me for example, I am a communication honors society student and I have been invited to England for 2 weeks this summer and cannot wait!

That's too bad about your boyfriend being so inflexible over an inter-faith relationship. It's hard to imagine that somebody could be so stringent in their religion that they'd let it ruin a serious relationship like the one you had. But you seem to be taking things well and that's good. I hope the end of the semester is going well for you.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I went through what may very well be my lowest point of depression at the beginning of the month. Boy, was it a pain. I'm doing much, much better now, though.

I've learned to stop relying on others for my own happiness. That's silly. Happiness should come from within.

I finally got up the courage to give a long-overdue apology to an acquaintance yesterday. It was very uncomfortable, and she didn't seem particularly thrilled to see me. But she did say that she "appreciated" the apology. Today, I greeted her, as a polite gesture, and got the cold shoulder. Oh well. Life goes on, and I simply refuse to let that get to me.
Today was perhaps the happiest I've felt in a long time. So is it true what they say? Is happiness a choice?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So is it true what they say? Is happiness a choice?
I think to a certain extent, yes. Many times when i'm feeling grumpy or sad, I just force myself to laugh for a little while, that usually helps a lot, even when it's extremely fake sounding laughter it turns into real laughter after a while. Smiling in a mirror also helps.

Or often times when i'm upset, I take a moment to think about something that I really like and somethings that are going right in my life instead of focusing on the bad. Sometimes you have to say to yourself, "Well at least this didn't happen to me".

Happiness can absolutely be a choice, although, when your really really upset you should talk to someone about how your feeling. For instance, when your angry at someone or hurt by them, in those cases, you can't just laugh it off and sweep it under the rug. I think since you apologized to that person you feel better, maybe only a little better but you still feel better. That almost always helps me, even if they don't forgive you it often gives you that piece of mind.

I think mostly it has to do with your outlook on life. I've seen people in poverty who are dying and lost everything they had including their family, yet they're still the happiest people i've ever met.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes, happiness is a choice, don't ever forget that. Some people think circumstances have to be just perfect, all the stars and planets have to be aligned just right, and then MAYBE they can be happy.
There will always be crappy stuff going on in this world: war, poverty, disease, corruption, hate, and reality TV!
But you don't have to let anyone or anything steal your happiness.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score

I hope you relationship with God strengthens, but on your terms. I'm sorry your boyfriend and you broke up, he seemed like the best thing in your life.

Actually, YOU are the best thing in your life. But keep getting strength from God (and Abuela) and you'll see how far you've come.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Why is society so screwed up? Why is that we're encouraged to only go for people based on superficial reasons, and not based on their character? Why can't we thrive in an environment where imperfection is rewarded, as long as one tries?

And why has it suddenly become so hard for me to trust people? Once they know your insecurities and imperfections, they suddenly look down on you. You hear from them less and less. They throw you under the bus way too often. And they start lying to you because they "don't want to hurt your feelings." By lying to someone, you're insulting their intelligence. And it clearly shows how little respect you have for that person.

Why are we so self-centered?

Sorry for the rant, just been having difficulty with a few of people.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that you broke up with your boyfriend.