The Clarence thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
And Belsonball is obviously this show's version of Calvinball. And I love how even the faculty enjoy watching this popular pastime that has been going on for a while.

I also find it funny that they follow Daylight Savings despite living in Arizona where they don't follow it in real life. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And apparently on a weekday. Unless the entire family slept in on Sunday and did nothing about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If anyone has 22+ bucks to blow, you can actually buy a Freedom Cactus T-shirt, just like the one Mr. Reese wears on The Cartoon Network Website.

And I'd totally grab it if I had that kinda money on me right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I liked this episode, but I have to admit. I find it a huge gap in logic that Jeff would willingly go along with the well intentioned surprise mural that got them in trouble without asking if they cleared it with any of the school staff first. I could see Clarence trying to make it a surprise, but I'd imagine at least Jeff would want them to run it by a teacher first. Considering how nurturing of the Freedom Cactus strip Mr. Reese and Ms. Baker were, you'd think they'd be okay with it.

But then of course, it doesn't make for interesting television, now does it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked this episode, but I have to admit. I find it a huge gap in logic that Jeff would willingly go along with the well intentioned surprise mural that got them in trouble without asking if they cleared it with any of the school staff first. I could see Clarence trying to make it a surprise, but I'd imagine at least Jeff would want them to run it by a teacher first. Considering how nurturing of the Freedom Cactus strip Mr. Reese and Ms. Baker were, you'd think they'd be okay with it.

But then of course, it doesn't make for interesting television, now does it.
Jeff is a very conflicting character. He's a goody-two-shoes, but at the same time wants to be accepted by his peers and doesn't want to seem like a killjoy. Remember the episode when Jeff turned detention into a nightclub? His behavior doesn't feel too unusual here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Clarence wanders off from the field trip to go to the wrong school. I can really see West Aberdale becoming a recurring thing (antagonist, rival, something), especially the way Shoop and West Aberdale's principal exchanged contempt for each other.

I dunno why, but the bus driver sort of reminded me of a One Piece character. Designwise, that is.

The episode just goes to show that Clarence can brighten up any kid's day. Even if it was a rough go with Jimmy at first, he managed to get him to break out of his shell. Sumo does some great Sumo stuff here as well.

I also saw last week's episode for the first time.

I'm trying to not think of the guy with one tooth as a meth addict. I love how Clarence managed to become a hit with the teenagers, Sumo too, and Jeff actually taking Clarence's "alien sighting" seriously when he was skeptical about it at first. Also loved Sumo getting titillated by the surfer girl pumping iron. Yep, that ushered him into manhood, but also set up that subtle bit about how he as extremely awkward around the teenage girls that thought he was cute.

But moreover, I loved this shot...

I find those things ugly as freaking freak, by the way. Liked that they managed to squeeze one gag out of it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm trying to not think of the guy with one tooth as a meth addict. I love how Clarence managed to become a hit with the teenagers, Sumo too, and Jeff actually taking Clarence's "alien sighting" seriously when he was skeptical about it at first. Also loved Sumo getting titillated by the surfer girl pumping iron. Yep, that ushered him into manhood, but also set up that subtle bit about how he as extremely awkward around the teenage girls that thought he was cute.
Jeff seems to act the most irrationally when he's scared, like back in "Chimney" when he totally lost it when he was trapped in the well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Loved seeing Old Clarence, a.k.a. Larry, again, along with his journey with Clarence and his friends to get some ice cream. It's heavily implied that this guy has Alzheimer's seeing how he takes a ton of notes about everything and how he apparently forgot that he had ice cream before. Also, I love how Mary was fine with the boys going out with some sketchy old guy, though seeing how this is a fairly close-knit neighborhood and he is well-known there, it's not surprising.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like that they actually pointed out that he ate ice cream at Chuckletons. It seems that the writers accidentally wrote themselves into an inconsistency, but at least pointed it out.

I have to admit, him taking copious notes because he may have Alzheimer's does kinda paint the joke a little depressing, but it also gives it a nice depth. I'm glad the writers keep these minor characters around and have them recur like this.