The breakfast cereal thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rewatching that Golden Grahams commercial Drtooth posted has made me realize something: ever notice in commercials and even on the boxes, cereal is often shown to have big, plump, delicious strawberries dropped into the bowl (or perhaps banana slices)? Do people even actually do that in real life? Personally, I never did, and I don't recall anybody I know ever doing that. I love strawberries, but the thing about strawberries is they're practically only good for like one day, then they go bad.

The only time I eat strawberries in cereal is when I eat the strawberry Special K.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm more of the type that puts bananas in there. Put a banana in a Reeses Puffs bowl and it was actually amazing. Other than that, I never feel the need to add fruit to already flavored cereals. But yeah, stuff like Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, and Rice Krispies. Those are light enough on flavor that fruit pieces makes sense.

Actually, speaking of Reeses Puffs, I'm amazed that out of all the cereal versions of junk foods, they're the only one still around. Oreo-O's...hehehehe GONE. Pop Tarts cereal lasted like a month or two. And we know Nerds existed, but I doubt anyone here has eaten a bowl (and if you did, please tell us about it). There have been other Peanut Butter cereals on the market, but the only other brand they still have is Cap'n's Peanut Butter Crunch. Reeses Puffs, I greatly prefer because of the bolder flavor, but I'll still get a box of Cap'n every so often.

But I really do miss Oreo-O's. Didn't like how they added mar-bits near the end, because it messed with the flavor and mouth feel. Strangely, while it was still on the market, Post repurposed the formula for Oreo-o's to become...

Just a different shape, but without the little creme flavored bits on the sides. Even had the same "creme filling" shaped marbits in it.

(and trust me, searching for THE Batman cereal was a pain because google discounts the "The" in their searches, and it's part of the unique to this series title).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh man, we've talked about Oreo-Os before, haven't we? I miss that stuff too, man that was good stuff.

And actually, I . . . I think I remember that pop-tart cereal! Wasn't it like from the early 90s or so? I seem to remember eating it when I was maybe four and five years old. I also seem to remember it tasted more like Berry-Berry Kix than pop-tarts (and, again, this is why I always hoard Frankenberry every year because it tastes like what BB Kix used to taste like).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to say I had a box of Pop Tarts cereal once. I swear I did, and I was disappointed by it. Mainly because there was a very short lived cereal called "Treasure Middles" or something like that. They were like, well, what Krave is now, but with some sort of fruit frosting or candy filling. I was hoping they'd be like that, but they weren't.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just got the "Batman VS Superman" Team Batman cereal last night. I quite enjoyed it. It was very chocolatey with a nice fruit finish. As in you taste the chocolate first, then the strawberry punches in. It's much nicer than most chocolate cereals on the market.

I love how GM makes 2 distinct cereals for one movie where as Kellogg's makes one cereal for 4 movies and just switches out what the marshmallow shapes are.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of stuff to react/reply to in here since last I came.

1 Special K? Yeah, the "K" stands for "krud". Hate the taste of that stuff, it turns to bland mush by the time you get to the bottom of the bowl. That's why I much rather endorse/purchase Honey Bunches of Oats, it has a better taste and stays crisper by the time you finish a serving.
2 Adding fruits to basic non-flavored cereal? Yes, man what fruit didn't my dad add to Cheerios when I was growing up. One of my fondest flavor memories is a bowl of original oat "Yellow Box" Cheerios with halved peanuts and raisins. Bananas are the most popular fruit for cereal here at home when mom buys a fresh bunch, though craisins are what I use for cereal most of the rest of the year. There were times dad would slice up strawberries and the one time he used peaches and the extra special time he'd add a dolip of Caro caramel sauce or actual honey to sweeten up the bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.
3 Golden Grahms now marketed by the Honey Blob? Thought their mascot was the Afromerican Shaft-like Golden Grahms Honey Bear.
4 Chip the Wolf actually evolved from the original mascot's sidekick. Yes, the Cookie Crook's dog was the one who was first named Chip, then got turned into the current wolfish encarnation. Oh, and the cop's name was Officer Crumb.
5 As far as obscure cereal mascots go, the one that always wins the prize for me is Spike the Porcupine who most folks don't even remember as the mascot of Sugar Corn Pops.
On that subject... Anyone remember the Alpha-Bits St. Bernard and his antagonist who was either a precursor or got recycled into the green sweater-wearing anti-Waldo?
6 As for current cereal cannibalism... Don't forget about those little chocolate puffs from Crave or now extra-enhanced Chocolate Crave.
7 Though I don't buy nor eat it, I'd like it if Lucky Charms brought in actual new charms rather than just making special limited editions where they have five differently colored versions of one specific charm they already have. Latest charm to get that treatment was the diamonds which were finally brought back, dunno if they're permanent or have been phased out again. Since the blue moon is the permanent blue charm, I'd like it if they kept white diamonds after dropping the white clouds.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Lots of stuff to react/reply to in here since last I came.

1 Special K? Yeah, the "K" stands for "krud". Hate the taste of that stuff, it turns to bland mush by the time you get to the bottom of the bowl. That's why I much rather endorse/purchase Honey Bunches of Oats, it has a better taste and stays crisper by the time you finish a serving.
2 Adding fruits to basic non-flavored cereal? Yes, man what fruit didn't my dad add to Cheerios when I was growing up. One of my fondest flavor memories is a bowl of original oat "Yellow Box" Cheerios with halved peanuts and raisins. Bananas are the most popular fruit for cereal here at home when mom buys a fresh bunch, though craisins are what I use for cereal most of the rest of the year. There were times dad would slice up strawberries and the one time he used peaches and the extra special time he'd add a dolip of Caro caramel sauce or actual honey to sweeten up the bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.
3 Golden Grahms now marketed by the Honey Blob? Thought their mascot was the Afromerican Shaft-like Golden Grahms Honey Bear.
4 Chip the Wolf actually evolved from the original mascot's sidekick. Yes, the Cookie Crook's dog was the one who was first named Chip, then got turned into the current wolfish encarnation. Oh, and the cop's name was Officer Crumb.
5 As far as obscure cereal mascots go, the one that always wins the prize for me is Spike the Porcupine who most folks don't even remember as the mascot of Sugar Corn Pops.
On that subject... Anyone remember the Alpha-Bits St. Bernard and his antagonist who was either a precursor or got recycled into the green sweater-wearing anti-Waldo?
6 As for current cereal cannibalism... Don't forget about those little chocolate puffs from Crave or now extra-enhanced Chocolate Crave.
7 Though I don't buy nor eat it, I'd like it if Lucky Charms brought in actual new charms rather than just making special limited editions where they have five differently colored versions of one specific charm they already have. Latest charm to get that treatment was the diamonds which were finally brought back, dunno if they're permanent or have been phased out again. Since the blue moon is the permanent blue charm, I'd like it if they kept white diamonds after dropping the white clouds.
This might be before most people's time, but I do remember Spike for Sugar Pops. He replaced (or was replaced by) Big Yella, a cowboy who loved the Pops' big yellow taste.

Alfie was the Alpha-Bits Wonder Dog. Before him was a kid who flew an airplane (Ace, if memory serves me well).

I lived back in the Dark Ages when there were only four marshmallows in Lucky Charms:
pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers. That was IT!
Then all the planets aligned just right, and blue diamonds were born.
Then Halley's Comet flew by, purple horseshoes appeared.

Now for something scary. Someday (it might take years, or decades, but the day WILL come)
you may be forced to eat the same cereal your parents eat: Whole Wheat 100% Fiber Colon Stripping Bran Chunks!!!! No mascot, no sugar, no marshmallows, no prizes (maybe a free sample of Metamucil), just a painful reminder you're not a child anymore.

It's already happened to your parents and grandparents. Don't think it can't happen to you!
Scared yet? 8)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've never known Pops to have any mascots, I just remember those commercials they did in the 90s where someone would have a nightmare that there weren't anymore Pops, or somebody stole all their Pops, until they wake up and immediately reach for a box, reciting the cereal's tagline, "Gotta have my Pops."

Then again, remember how a lot of cereal commercials were like that in the 90s? Apple Jacks always had those where a parent would ask, "Why do you guys like Apple Jacks? They don't taste like apples!" Prompting the kids to respond with ridiculous answers, or ask insanely trick questions in response, before settling up with, "We just do! We eat what we like!" Or those Reese's Puffs commercials where one kid would get their friend(s) to try a bowl and they're amazed at the chocolate and peanut butter taste in their cereal bowl, because it was, "Reese's! For breakfast!" And which cereal was it that did commercials where a kid was playing some kind of extreme sport, would take a bite of the cereal, then get injured in some way immediately afterward, where a friend would ask if he's okay, and he would say, "Yeah, but I kinda liked it. Can I have some more?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think you're mixing Golden Grahams with Golden Crisp, a completely different cereal (sugar coated puffed wheat, similar to Sugar Smacks) by a different company (post). They don't actually have any Golden Crisp commercials anymore, and I don't even think I've seen a box of the stuff in years. It was the only surviving member of the (well before my time) Post characters of Linus the Lionhearted and crew. They had a cartoon show, actually. Only cereal mascots to do so.

The Honey Drop was only used during the early 80's (to the best of my knowledge) for Golden Grahams. His inclusion in the Satur-YAAYYA-yah commercials is...strange. But then again that commercial is all kinda of strange, so I kinda let that slide. Though I reiterate, kids don't know who he is or what cereal he represents, so that's only for those over 30 I guess?