TV Tropes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the page for One Froggy Evening, it says that that short as An Aesop to enjoy things instead of trying to profit from them. Has anybody gotten that sense from the short? I never saw that as a lesson in the short. Maybe if the character decided to just appreciate the singing frog instead of trying to make money off his talent, or if the moral was written on-screen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Evidentally, TV Tropes has entirely done away with the Wallbanger section . . . I know TV Tropes is really cracking down on complaining throughout their Wiki lately, but isn't this going way too far?
The Parvum Opus page has been taken down too.

You know, I get the feeling this is because of internal problems with trouble members, and the mods basically have to come down on them with the old "this is why we can't have nice things" rule. I'm guessing too many edit wars were going on or some members were getting butthurt because their favorite thing was gone over a fine tooth comb for what it really was. Seems that any pages that are negative are of those with little if any defenders or ones that just plain get negative feedback anyway (TTG!, Fan4stic Four, Johnny Test).

Still, I'm going to miss that Arthur Wallbangers section. While a few I didn't quite agree with, they had some that were a joy to read.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still, I'm going to miss that Arthur Wallbangers section. While a few I didn't quite agree with, they had some that were a joy to read.
I loved how they had that Wallbangers page divided into two categories: wallbangers caused by D.W. alone, and wallbangers not caused by D.W., lol.

But anyway, I'm glad I found this thread on their forums, because it's nice to know it's not just me having problems with the moderating staff and that other tropers re being affected as well.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=14511394290A79902500&page=0

Drtooth

Reaction score
...and now they're the latest crybabies to whine about browsers using ad block. Oh yeah, I'm the jack^%$ because I don't want Trojan Horse viruses that I don't even have to click on (how thoughtful) to infect my computer. I'm apparently Hitler because I don't want ads disguised as videos that I can't shut off or mute that have to be pre-empted by other ads. You know the ads that make you watch an ad before the ad you don't want to watch starts?

Seriously, I wish that instead of whining about "Awwww our ad revenue" and how awful everyone who rightfully blocks the ever evolving crappiness of internet ads, these websites would band together and force advertisers to go back to harmless, ignorable, silent banner ads that no one was clicking on anyway. No more crazy conspiracy theories, no loud ad videos, no imbecilic viruses that start up no matter how tech savvy you are. Just safe, non-threatening ads for dumb browser games and fast food items. THEN we can talk about ad block.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of feel like that's why ads keep evolving and getting more sophisticated, because more and more people are using adblockers. But yes, as I've said many times before, trojans hidden in ads are one of the main reasons why I have multiple adblockers on my browser (that and I don't want to sit through commercials to watch YT videos).

To be fair, at least some sites do offer perks for their pay services aside from ad-free browsing, like how deviantART unlocks additional features for you.

mr3urious

Reaction score
TV Tropes also unveiled its redesign that was fully funded through Kickstarter. It's not bad, though it runs a little slower than the previous. Must be from all those ads. :boo:

Seriously, I wish that instead of whining about "Awwww our ad revenue" and how awful everyone who rightfully blocks the ever evolving crappiness of internet ads, these websites would band together and force advertisers to go back to harmless, ignorable, silent banner ads that no one was clicking on anyway. No more crazy conspiracy theories, no loud ad videos, no imbecilic viruses that start up no matter how tech savvy you are. Just safe, non-threatening ads for dumb browser games and fast food items. THEN we can talk about ad block.
And a feature that allows you to hide an ad with a click of a link below. One website I frequent has this function, allowing the sites to have their cake and eat it, too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ho ho ho! I found another thread in their forum where one of the mods (and the exact same one who seems to like to suspend me) virtually admitted something I've been trying to call them out on: their inconsistency with rules! Seriously, the guy posted "such-and-such isn't allowed, but we really don't want to waste effort policing it."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kind of feel like that's why ads keep evolving and getting more sophisticated, because more and more people are using adblockers. But yes, as I've said many times before, trojans hidden in ads are one of the main reasons why I have multiple adblockers on my browser (that and I don't want to sit through commercials to watch YT videos).
I agree on that point. Ads have to be more obnoxious to bypass blocking software, but at the same time the more annoying ads are the reason why everyone uses them. Some sites don't even allow you to use them until you disable ad block...then the Trojan viruses start up again the second you do on that site. I even loved how Hulu gets passive aggressive about it and gives you a 60 second message that whines about how you have ad block on (even if you don't and one of the dumb ads refuses to load). My personal favorite :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: was when the ad block didn't block the ad on Hulu, but blocked the completely useless side frames..and..and the video actually crashed and wouldn't play as a result. And it was specifically a problem with a particularly awful series of Geico commercials (the poorly animated painting gallery ones that sucked). Meaning if you want the rest of the video you'd have to keep refreshing the page and praying that none of those terrible Geico ads popped up again. And they DID! I don't mind banners, I don't even mind short form ads before a video if the video is at least 10 minutes in length (multiple ones between the video, not so much). But if the ads are either dangerous to the computer or loud and obnoxious and can't be silence (and in some cases are literally buried all the way down at the end of a page, causing you to have to fish for whatever loud, obnoxious piece of crap that you can't shut off all the way anyway) the problem lies in the jerks that provide those ads, not the browsers that choose to use Ad Block to prevent their computers from being either paperweights (costing the user in that case) or loud noise machines that air the same lame commercials most ignore on television anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I've said before: remember the old days of the internet when you knew a site was an official site because it didn't have ads on it? That's because they didn't need ads, as everything (domain, space, bandwidth, etc.) was paid for by whoever ran the site; fansites that were hosted through servers like Angelfire, Geocities, Freewebs, etc. usually had ads on them because that's what made the sites free in the first place. I've said it before: this is the internet, not cable TV.

Then again, cable TV was supposedly going to be a commercial-free alternative to regular analog TV . . . I guess because since it was a pay/subscription service, there was no need for commercials then.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago posting something on TV Tropes about how something had become an Ascended Meme because of Nostalgia Critic (don't remember what it was now), but shortly thereafter a mod deleted that entry I posted, saying that it was a "shoehorned entry." And yet, as I still browse throughout the site, I see more examples on different pages of things becoming Ascended Memes because of Nostalgia Critic, such as Christopher Walken's now-infamous line, "THIS IS NOT OVER! BEARS!!!"

I'm more and more convinced that they have some sort of a personal vendetta against me over there, because they crack down on me for things that other people do and yet get free passes for.