New Labyrinth film in development with Guardians of the Galaxy co-writer

Iscah

Reaction score
Before everyone freaks out too much over the word "reboot", IT'S NOT A REBOOT *YET*.

From the Hollywood Reporter article, "It is unclear if the new take is a reimagining of the story or a sequel, as it is being kept deep in the vault."

My personal guess is that it's a sequel, maybe overwriting the previous sequel comics (which would kind of make it a reboot of "what happened next"). This seems a very odd time to be announcing a remake of the original.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even if it was a reboot, I wouldn't be too worried. It took them over 10 years for the Dark Crystal sequel to go absolutely nowhere before they just said "screw it" and forgot all about it. When Robot Chicken hands your butts to you over the debacle, you know it's a laughing stock. I'd expect to never see anything out of Labyrinth again outside of a comic book. They can't even get Happytime Murders off the ground.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The scriptwriter, Nicole Pearlman says this project will not be a reboot. What the movie will actually be, whether sequel or spin-off story is yet to be determined. So basically, let the speculation continue. :confused: :skeptical:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Even if it was a reboot, I wouldn't be too worried. It took them over 10 years for the Dark Crystal sequel to go absolutely nowhere before they just said "screw it" and forgot all about it. When Robot Chicken hands your butts to you over the debacle, you know it's a laughing stock. I'd expect to never see anything out of Labyrinth again outside of a comic book. They can't even get Happytime Murders off the ground.
The Jim Henson Company really needs a solid business partner,that way they can get the nice push that they need that will help them stay focused as well as the finances they need to complete the project.

I think either Disney or Warner Brothers would be great partners,i'm leaning more towards Warner Bros because they're probably less likely than Disney to try to buy them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Jim Henson Company really needs a solid business partner,that way they can get the nice push that they need that will help them stay focused as well as the finances they need to complete the project.
I've been saying that for years. Problem is, there's not really any takers. One partner only liked them for cheap CGI movies, another just for home video releases. Just all around no one was going to give them the time of day. I'm happy as heck they got a new series coming up on PBS, but at the end of the day, that's about it.

Labyrinth is arguably far more relevant today than it was when it came out. In an era where crappy fan fics somehow become best sellers and movies and or TV shows, the idea of a blissfully unaware, immature woman stuck in her own crazy fantasy world is a lot less strange than the pre-internet (or at least before it was the thing it's been for the past 20 odd years) days. The whole thing comes out of her own romantic fan fiction and coming to terms with growing up and realizing how vapid her world is. So naturally, it manages to strike a cord now (cough cough Shadow Hunters cough cough Fifty Shades cough).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've been saying that for years. Problem is, there's not really any takers. One partner only liked them for cheap CGI movies, another just for home video releases. Just all around no one was going to give them the time of day. I'm happy as heck they got a new series coming up on PBS, but at the end of the day, that's about it.

Labyrinth is arguably far more relevant today than it was when it came out. In an era where crappy fan fics somehow become best sellers and movies and or TV shows, the idea of a blissfully unaware, immature woman stuck in her own crazy fantasy world is a lot less strange than the pre-internet (or at least before it was the thing it's been for the past 20 odd years) days. The whole thing comes out of her own romantic fan fiction and coming to terms with growing up and realizing how vapid her world is. So naturally, it manages to strike a cord now (cough cough Shadow Hunters cough cough Fifty Shades cough).
Yep,I think this is really the best time to make the movie,hopefully if this movie is successful,maybe other major companies might want them. It has a "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" writer so that could be a good sign.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the major problem here is that Henson needs to remind a potential audience of its glory days and staple brands that no longer contain Muppets. So I can see why Henson was trying to get Dark Crystal and Fraggle Rock projects off the ground, all the while not being able to get anything else new out there that isn't a preschool show. And even then, that was tricky.

Labyrinth is a cult movie. The thing flopped hard when it first came out, but gained a following. Trying to purposely make a cult movie..well... best I can say is that it has strange and varied results. A second Labyrinth film, prequel, sequel, reboot, deboot, spinoff universe... whatever it could be they'd be trying to make a follow up film to something that wasn't successful until years later. I'm not saying this isn't a good idea, but hypothetically if this actually does get off the ground, what are they going to accomplish?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Anyone else feel it's odd this is getting traction right after Bowie's passing? Like...I dunno cashing in on the sensationalism of his passing in order to drum up fanfare for this project? Rubs me the wrong way. I have seen, I think, that they've been trying to get something off the ground so I'm sure it predates this, but I feel they're tying the two together to make the project more well known and into the public eye.

May turn out to be nice, maybe bring back Jennifer Connolly and Toby. I've not read the manga so I can't speak to that story but I'm sure that'd make an interesting film. Or a new idea where, who knows, Toby could be a goblin king? Will be interesting to follow the production of this project from here on out.