Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Drtooth

Reaction score
That is so strange to me; I guess some of it is generational? I did see Ghostbusters II in the theater when I was 6 years old; I personally was entranced from the very first shot of the crack on the street with the slime coming out, lol. Yes, it's nowhere near as edgy as the first one, but bottom line for me, the characters' personalities are still in tact and that's so not typical for a sequel.
Well, there are also those who hate the cartoon series, which is unbelievable to me. The first half of the series was solid. ABC's meddling with the show later in the series is up to debate, and I really think other than the stupid name, the hate for Extreme Ghostbusters eludes me (if for no other reason, Slimer wasn't the talking, scene stealing mascot that took over the show and was much more like his movie appearance). That said, while I do enjoy GB 2, I find the animated series a better follow up. GB2 seems to have been made only because the cartoon popularized the characters, but they should have taken more cues from it. Though I really think the Mood Slime was a great concept.

According to Cracked, Mad Max may not be getting a sequel because it wasn't released in China and didn't incessantly pander to its government in order to make the real money.

I doubt GB3 will get released there, either, as anything involving the supernatural is taboo now. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but China really doesn't care much for doing that either. I find it hilarious that if a movie bombs in the West but makes a crapload overseas it gets a sequel (which saved Pacific Rim's butt), but if it's a hit here, and foreign markets don't get it or refuse to carry it it's considered a flop. Though, then it turns into a complicated mess either way. Though, full disclosure, Fury Road was amazing. Not that I wouldn't love to see another one, but you wonder if a sequel is that necessary. Fury Road was one of two long anticipated sequels of a movie franchise that didn't have one in decades that got good reception (Jurassic World being the second, Star Wars doesn't really count). So, I'd say that a sequel would be pressing their luck. Plus, that darn Pitch Perfect 2 cut a chunk of its Western ticket sales as well. But I have to say this. If a movie about a mad dictator fails or is banned in a country that's essentially a dictatorship already, the reasons should be obvious number one, but it also does its job perfectly.

But for the reason I brought this thread back up...

So, the Coca-Cola company has trademarked the name "Ecto-Cooler" again, or so the net says (wishful thinking often becomes fact some how and falls through when it's called a rumor). I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that this could be a thing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
GB2 seems to have been made only because the cartoon popularized the characters
Yes. I do seem to remember seeing GB2 and thinking, "Oh ok, so that's the real life Egon, I get it," as opposed to the cartoon one, lol. There was always this interesting blending. Pretty sure I saw the original film later.

So, the Coca-Cola company has trademarked the name "Ecto-Cooler" again, or so the net says (wishful thinking often becomes fact some how and falls through when it's called a rumor). I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that this could be a thing.
Yeah that keeps being thrown around, that would be cool seeing it on the store shelves again!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes. I do seem to remember seeing GB2 and thinking, "Oh ok, so that's the real life Egon, I get it," as opposed to the cartoon one, lol. There was always this interesting blending. Pretty sure I saw the original film later.
I need to confirm that, but it seems that it's likely the film only got a sequel because of the cartoon series' popularity. The cartoon did try to shake off the movies as movies made about them, but the show took events of the movie as canon, even the second film. That's why the two episodes on the 2 disk Ghostbusters release were chosen to go along side the movies. They both had ties to the movies, the first episode taking place directly after the events of the movie (and explaining why they had different colored uniforms and kept Slimer around) and the second utilizing the mood slime from the second movie (as well as the redesign of Janine, who looked more like her second movie makeover counterpart).

Then the thing I constantly say about Men in Black, where the cartoon (at least the first few seasons) were far better than both sequels.

Yeah that keeps being thrown around, that would be cool seeing it on the store shelves again!
I cannot express how much disappointment Turtle Pies not coming back for the last TMNT cartoon revival there was. Could have made new ones to tie into the movie, though. Even then, it's just vanilla pudding filled pies with green icing. They didn't even need the TMNT tie in. Seems like a nice Halloween based product. Hi-C had Ecto-Cooler long after the deal with Columbia expired, even going as far as changing the name once they stopped putting food coloring in the juice boxes (to the delight of parents everywhere). But I guess that green liquid was the main appeal, but it was much better tasting than the standard Orange Lavaburst flavor. It was wonderfully tangy and complex (for a kid's fruit flavored drink, that is) while Lavaburst is just flat and watered down. I guess it was one of those times where they just simplify the product line and cut anything out that wasn't a main flavor, so even with a different name and no green color, Ecto-Cooler just disappeared.

Though I can see the new flavor marketed to adults, rather than kids. Probably sell them in cans and bottles instead of Hi-C boxes. Hopefully it's a wide release and not one of those things that needs to be ordered on-line for ridiculous prices. Then again, Burger King brought back Surge as a frozen drink.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The first poster doesn't look so bad.

Still, did they have to stop the Ghostbusters franchise after 2 movies, but this looks cool.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The one thing I'm not positive about is the first film. Like, I might have seen bits and pieces of it on TV before GB2.

I cannot express how much disappointment Turtle Pies not coming back for the last TMNT cartoon revival there was.
Oh I know! But those were hard to find even back then. I only had them because my Dad managed to get them at work somehow. I was the envy of my entire class, lol. Everyone always wanted a piece and I didn't mind sharing as the attention was fun. :wisdom:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So congrats, you'll be among the first fans to see this footage of the new Ghostbusters movie before this clip gets taken off of YouTube, lol:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And for fans of the original film that have a crapload of money and space, the almost 400 dollar LEGO Ghostbusters fire house is now available.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the trailer for the movie is out and all I can say is, at least the plot looks better than the second one. The second film is pretty contentious in its own right. I like it, but certainly not more than the first movie or the first half of the animated series.

Still, ugh... the nontroversy about the movie is just a huge turn off and making me want to see it even more so this film can be 10 bucks more successful to stick it to the butthurt little fanboys whining about how it stars women. Now, I totally understand the whole thing about reboots and long standing sequels ruining old franchises and all. Even though last year managed to prove they fired on all cylinders 3 times with Force Awakens, Jurassic World, and Mad Max Fury Road, it's not something that has a major success rate. But you can't whine about how sexist and racist Hollywood is when they try to recast familiar roles because no one's willing to see original films starring women and non-Caucasians. That's where the complaints fall on dead ears to me.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It seems like this new movie will utilize a lot of stereotype-based humor, with the sassy black woman trope sticking out the most. The original GB never resorted to that, and will probably be seen as more progressive because of it. So yeah, that's one big strike against this reboot.

It's not all bad, though. I do like how the new Ecto-1 is made from a hearse, and I also like some of the new tech. That ghost bear trap looks pretty cool.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems like this new movie will utilize a lot of stereotype-based humor, with the sassy black woman trope sticking out the most. The original GB never resorted to that, and will probably be seen as more progressive because of it. So yeah, that's one big strike against this reboot.
That I'll agree I'm concerned with, but I'm mixed if this is really the case or the trailers point that sort of thing out. I kinda wish they made the black woman member a lot more subtle like Ernie Hudson was. Maybe it won't be so bad in the film itself, or maybe it will. That' the only casting choice I disagree with. There are a lot of great black comediennes out there, and not all of them do the large sassy woman bit. Maybe they should have moved a little further from the SNL cast for this film.

That said, I'm still over the moon happy they didn't get Cecili Strong for this film.

Other than that, I kinda agree with the sentiment that we don't have enough female scientist roles in movies and TV. Only ones off the top of my head are Princess Bubblegum, Gadget from Rescue Rangers, and the Test sisters. And no one likes Jonhny Test, so that doesn't count. And they're always pining over Gil, so even then it's arguable how progressive that is.

On the whole, I really hope that animated Ghostbusters movie happens. Probably won't be "the Real Ghostbusters" and I'm okay with that.