SpongeBob SquarePants

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said before, I kinda get the hate for it, but didn't... didn't Plankton enslave Bikini Bottom in the movie?

Then again, that's before they made him a sympathetic villain and made Krabs more greedy, but still... Plankton isn't exactly Mr. Innocent all the time.

Harleena

Reaction score
Like I said before, I kinda get the hate for it, but didn't... didn't Plankton enslave Bikini Bottom in the movie?

Then again, that's before they made him a sympathetic villain and made Krabs more greedy, but still... Plankton isn't exactly Mr. Innocent all the time.
Yeah, but there's no need to drive him to suicide.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that's my big beef with the negative reaction. Like I said, everyone talked this episode up so much that the morbid little piece of me that wanted to see the episode just for that, and I was a little disappointed it wasn't more dramatic for comedic effect. Heck, Squidward's suicide attempts (and bait and switch jokes thereof) and constant mumblings are far darker and more disturbing than what that episode did with Plankton.

Though, don't get me wrong, it was a little mean spirited, but it got a nice reaction out of Spongebob realizing Mr. Krabs was being a jerk about it, if not used to its full potential in the script.

I dunno.... Maybe Gumball broke my "Oddly disturbing and dark for a comedy cartoon"-o-meter.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score

True, but here's a big difference. Plankton is undeniably the villain and Krabbs is SUPPOSED to be a hero if a rather cheap and selfish one. Second Krabbs gets off way too easily so that adds to the problems with it

mr3urious

Reaction score
True, but here's a big difference. Plankton is undeniably the villain and Krabbs is SUPPOSED to be a hero if a rather cheap and selfish one. Second Krabbs gets off way too easily so that adds to the problems with it
There's also the fact that Plankton leaves Krabs alone after getting frightened by Pearl. If he had continued to antagonize him rather than shutter himself up in fear, Krabs' constant psychological torture would have been funny, but it wasn't for that reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's also the fact that Plankton leaves Krabs alone after getting frightened by Pearl. If he had continued to antagonize him rather than shutter himself up in fear, Krabs' constant psychological torture would have been funny, but it wasn't for that reason.
I think that's what the big problem with the episode was. They had an idea that was genuinely funny but just failed in the execution. The episode needed something that just wasn't there. A comeuppance for Krabs, maybe just having Spongebob yell at him. Plankton being driven to madness not suicide (madness and outbursts are always funnier anyway, that's like a third of my dA pieces), maybe equating Plankton stealing the Krabby Patty formula with what Krabs is doing to Plankton. Just...it feels like the episode isn't grating on me because it's mean spirited, but because it could have been so much funnier.

Actually, that's the episode that bugs me. The Wishing Well one. Seems like there's a lot of potential just wasted in that episode. The actual bit about it being a wishing well doesn't even do anything except for the last half a minute. It's just Patrick and Spongebob annoying Squidward for 8 minutes.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, the newer episodes I've seen are missing something that made Spongebob special and wacky in the first place. The live action medium blending featuring the voice actors.

I forget which episode I've seen, but there was one with a sun and a moon, one was Dee Bradley Baker's face, one was Roger Bumpasses (I think). It's crazy crap like that what got me into the show to begin with. The episode where someone mentions well toned arms and thighs with a random cut away of a Swedish guy going "Ja! Arms und Thighs!" Medium blending is my favorite thing in modern cartoons (I'm a HUGE Gumball fan for that reason), and it's a shame that they just stopped doing wacky stuff like that.
THE HOT SAUCE DROP. NEVER FORGET THAT.

(That was Tom Kenny's face in case you didn't know.)

BTW, Alan Smart and Paul Tibbit were the sun and moon.