Uncle Grandpa

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm not here to be a hater or a troll but,since this thread is about our thoughts on the show: I really really don't like this show,don't get the appeal at all. It just seems like a whole bunch of annoying easy jokes with completely unstructured plots and lazy plot solutions. The main character is the most annoying part of the show,he's too silly all the time and I hate his voice.I just feel like this show is trying waay too hard to be funny,even more so than Teen Titans Go,which occasionally succeeds. In a pool of really fun and creative shows such as Regular Show,Adventure Time,Gumball,Clarence,Steven,WeBB - This show definetely the one blemish among CN's major shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find TTG to be the worst show on the network. Well, until they added Baby Looney Tunes to their line up...I mean, why? UG doesn't come from a mean spirited trolly place. TTG is pure trolling, and somehow I find that to be one of the enjoyable aspects. With Adventure Time and Steven Universe being incredibly deep shows that often get incredibly dark, Gumball going down dark social commentary (and I'm loving it), I feel like Clarence, We Bare Bears and UG have to hold up the aspects of pure comedy shows. Regular Show is a bit more Cerebus Rollercoaster to be included. That's why I really liked it when they had all the shows new on one night. The shows all pair strangely well together.

But yeah, UG isn't for everyone. You really have to appreciate a show being stupid to really like something like that. Plus, I have to say it's gotten a little tamer since it began. It's not quite as surreal as it started, and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing. I'm glad to see CN have at least one wacky cartoon in the line up. And anything that isn't Johnny Test, a reality show stolen from Discovery Kids, or Johnny Test (which is still on Boomerang! Can you believe it?) I'm fine with it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm not here to be a hater or a troll
You're not being either of those things. If you were, you would have said something like "lololol dis sh0w suxx0rz an ur soooooo st0opit an ghey 4 leiking it!1!!11!!". :big_grin: You constructively criticized the show and didn't insult anyone for liking it.

It's not quite as surreal as it started, and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing.
It seems that UG's reality-warping abilities have been gradually toned down since the 2nd season. I can't be the only one noticing this.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. I mean, you look at the Spaghetti Western episode, and it's barely got hints of UG humor. Just the bit where they drop the safe on him so the bird floating above his head can crack the safe. Seems like other than that, you could just change around the names and it would work with any cartoon. Not that I didn't like that episode, but it felt off.

When it comes to the show, while I do enjoy the wacky adventures with Mr. Gus and Pizza Steve, I think the best episodes are the ones where he helps kids out. Mainly because you get the air of UG actually being a Magnificent B&^%$#. It seems that every mistake he makes is intentional, and he's dangerously savvy when the kids wind up screwing him over. Like the kid who used UG to ditch his punishment.

On that subject, I've actually watched some Secret Mountain Fortress Awesome when Netflix had it. I don't understand why it got the hate it got. Certainly UG is a better, more polished show, but it had a biting level of humor in it buried under the ugly (on purpose) character designs. I loved the Labyrinth parody. Certainly a better, funnier, and stronger show than equally hated Problem Solverz.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
When it comes to the show, while I do enjoy the wacky adventures with Mr. Gus and Pizza Steve, I think the best episodes are the ones where he helps kids out. Mainly because you get the air of UG actually being a Magnificent B&^%$#. It seems that every mistake he makes is intentional, and he's dangerously savvy when the kids wind up screwing him over. Like the kid who used UG to ditch his punishment.
I do enjoy the kid episodes slightly more,but yeah it seems their are only a few shows that can successfully change genres.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like shows where the biggest idiot or goofiest one in the series is actually the smart one and or has sudden bursts of brilliance. They really showcase that best in those episodes. And when some kid winds up messing with him, he uses those same powers to put them in their place. I like the wacky adventure episodes, but they just don't have that same oddly heartwarming or satisfying punch to them.

C to the J

Reaction score
This week had brought us more new, rather interesting episodes. That one origin story of GRFT pokes some fun at a certain animated feature and had clever names (like Pacific Cod Steve and Mr. Crustaceous). What really made me laugh out loud was in the episode "Back to the Library," where Uncle Grandpa makes the face of a farm animal (and tractor) when making the sound of that one thing. Notice his hat turns into a sailor hat (akin to Donald Duck's) when he quacks like "Lil' Ducky"?

Sure, there's nonsense at every turn, but to grasp a cartoon, one has to think like a cartoonist.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else find the episode "Ballroom" to be Ren and Stimpy-esque in its animation and to a certain extent the tone? Certainly, Mr. Gus's angry rant at UG and PS felt like an accidental homage to the Cousin Sven episode. Not to mention how UG suddenly had a manly physique when he made the beheading motion.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also gotta love the episode about Pizza Steve's dad Nacho Cheese coming to visit. And it was a nice twist that everyone else found him just as obnoxious as he did.

And I enjoyed the Def Comedy Jam parody commercial of Mr. Gus and his standup routine at the end of "Back to the Library"
that turned out to be just a bathroom fantasy of his when UG ruins it

tutter_fan

Reaction score
One of my favorite episodes is where UG does "slouching on the couch, slouching on the couch" then when he hits the floor he's like "slouching on the floor, slouching on the floor", etc. Me & someone in my family have made fun of that many times.