New Looney Tunes movie in development

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Yep, I totally remember the 90s. That's my childhood. My best friend (who I knew him since we were 8) told me that he discovered Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon and I discovered them on TNT plus my Grandmother always bought those public domain videos with famous cartoons on them, every video had the same cartoons on them. lol Funny how you mentioned about the t-shirts robodog, I used to have this black background t-shirt of Daffy Duck crying. Anyone remember this? I found a childhood picture of myself wearing it. There was also some good murchandise that I remember having like there's these action figures that were slapsticky like Elmer Fudd looking confused with a tyed up gun in a knott and Sylvester with his tale cought in a mouse trap. I think they were from 1993, I want those figures back. lol There was also this game called Smash'Em where you have play dough molds of the characters and it's like a board game but you have these plastic props like a heavy safe or a giant boot where you can smash them and leave marks. That was fun to and that was from 1993 I think.

Though I wanted to ask about the executive meddling thing Dr Tooth was talking about. I remember reading about that on how Executives once they have full rights to a property, they can legally do anything they want to it even if unmoral. As an artist myself I've always tried to watch my back on that sort of thing, though threw pitching stuff and being quite insulted by executives who don't get it, I manage to just make art on my own and figure out new directions with my art. I was watching the Monty Python Almost the Truth Lawyers Cut on tv and I remember Terry Gilliam saying on how back then the industry was like a pyramid, lots of talent on the bottom and very few executives but now a days it's upside down there's few talent and more executives on top deciding what should and shouldn't be distributed. Also I liked how you mentioned how it seems like the current humor is aimed at 4 year old and how Hollywood needs to stop aiming at them. I totally agree on that and it's quite interesting because while taking a journalism class in college, and even TV production there was a golden rule on how you must write as if you were having 6 year olds reading it. I've even been told while pitching how executives worry about distributing something that's smart and brilliant because it would alienate the majority audience who would rather be entertained then be challenged to think. I hate to sound negitive on this but, doesn't it seem like the entertainment industry has gone to more to a dumbing down target? To me entertainment is suppose to be unlimited in terms of ideas but it seems like executives fear so much so on things that which proved itself to be successful back in the day to not be so much today. I'm not sure if it's culture or whatever the complex sociology theory is. But creative freedom and expression seems to rare in the mainstream today and it kind of was in the 80s animation. John K sort of broke that door down when Ren & Stimpy came about and Nickelodeon gave oppertunaties and most of those cartoonists were very Looney Tunes, classic animation influenced. But now it's like the system has hardened itself where not only new artists can't get oppertunaties but even legendary artists are still pitching and looking for new work. But on a positive note, I'm very happy that Warner Bros released a good deal of the cartoons on the Golden Collection DVDs uncut, they still need to release all of them and Tex Avery.

But anyway I totally agree with jvcaroll about good comedy writers and even that is quite rare, especially people who know cartoon logic. It seems like everything in comedy is too real. When CGI movies come out it's "Check out my silly dance" and another character says "Wow, that's awkward." when I see that I'm like "THAT'S THE JOKE?" It might work with people who watch Family Guy, people who like that kind of deadpan comedy but me personally, I like the slapstick, character comedy, with a hint of satire and at times some grim dark humor something like the 90s Addams Family movies. I liked those more then the TV show. :smile:

A quick question though, is a Blaxploitation film a b-movie that features African Americans in those action films and stuff like that? I really want to see that Dracula Blaxploitation film myself, I think The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy based their version of Dracula on that.

Back to the Looney Tunes movie, I'm not sure which is coming first. This or the rumored since 2010 CGI Bugs Bunny movie. I know that a CGI Woody Woodpecker is coming out either this new year or 2014. Either way, I'm hiding under my bed and locking the doors. lol CGI cartoon revivals always look so ugly and scary looking and not as cute as actual 2D drawn characters are.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of bumping a 3 year old thread, get ready for this.

A Speedy Gonzales movie has been greenlit

Now, the flood of "they're going to screw this up" and "Looney Tunes can't really carry a movie" talk is going to come up. All I can say is, if every other LT film that isn't Space Jam and Back in Action (or a DTV animated film for that matter) is to go by, this ain't happening.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of bumping a 3 year old thread, get ready for this.

A Speedy Gonzales movie has been greenlit

Now, the flood of "they're going to screw this up" and "Looney Tunes can't really carry a movie" talk is going to come up. All I can say is, if every other LT film that isn't Space Jam and Back in Action (or a DTV animated film for that matter) is to go by, this ain't happening.
I'm pretty iffy on the bit about him being "updated". Would this mean transforming him into Rapid Dave? I mean, he was pretty much left unscathed in The Looney Tunes Show with no complaints.

Erine81981

Reaction score
This is what has happened to cartoons that were made back in the 50's and so on. They want to appeal to all generations and not upset people. I know a few people that wouldn't be offended by this and would want him to remain the same as he was back on his first appearance.

And in his first cartoon he didn't have all the things he has now. He didn't have a sombrero or even a white suit with an ascot around his neck. It was just a shirt and pants or shorts. How ever you see them as.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm pretty iffy on the bit about him being "updated". Would this mean transforming him into Rapid Dave? I mean, he was pretty much left unscathed in The Looney Tunes Show with no complaints.
The only characters in Looney Tunes Show I didn't care much for their change was Gossamer and the Witch, but even then they grew on me in time.

Updated or revamped, I'm skeptical anything's going on with this. Remember the Bugs Bunny live action film done in the spirit of the Yogi Bear movie? Didn't Happen. Ditto the Marvin the Martian Christmas film, but at least that got to test footage stage. Looney Tunes movies are always being proposed, just not made. Look how long it took after Space Jam to get Back in Action out. And there were scripts floating around after Space Jam. If not scripts, the intent to make more LT movies.

This is what has happened to cartoons that were made back in the 50's and so on. They want to appeal to all generations and not upset people. I know a few people that wouldn't be offended by this and would want him to remain the same as he was back on his first appearance.
Most cartoons really don't have to update much to be relevant. It's a mixed bag when they do. The only cynical update of Looney Tunes was...I don't even have to name it. Tiny Toons (not that it didn't get flack in its day, mind you), Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries... other than updating a setting and putting them in a different context, they're pretty much the same. S&TM managed to be pretty much Mythology gag heaven, getting as many classic LT characters in there as possible, even for cameo. Even managed to make fat Elmer Fudd a separate character. Looney Tunes Show was a shake up, but that was on the show runners. They figured no matter what they did to Looney Tunes the die hard fans would whine either way. And yes, I agree there are no cartoons greater than the original 40's-60's LT shorts, but I respect efforts to get new material for the characters, provided it's at least quality for what it is.

I don't see Speedy needing much of an update. Considering there was over reaction to him not being P.C. in the early 00's, and he was beloved for actually being the anti-Stereotype, nothing really needs to be severely altered. I don't see this movie being anything but the Hispanic equivalent to the Chipmunks movies, which Speedy really doesn't fit into. I'd love it if they had Sylvester in there, but then he'd be the star since he's slightly more well known. But trying to wrap my head around something that will just disappear in a few months seems a little meaningless. Unless this film actually goes somewhere, I don't see another LT movie being made, especially a solo character film.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Most cartoons really don't have to update much to be relevant. It's a mixed bag when they do. The only cynical update of Looney Tunes was...I don't even have to name it. Tiny Toons (not that it didn't get flack in its day, mind you), Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries... other than updating a setting and putting them in a different context, they're pretty much the same. S&TM managed to be pretty much Mythology gag heaven, getting as many classic LT characters in there as possible, even for cameo. Even managed to make fat Elmer Fudd a separate character. Looney Tunes Show was a shake up, but that was on the show runners. They figured no matter what they did to Looney Tunes the die hard fans would whine either way. And yes, I agree there are no cartoons greater than the original 40's-60's LT shorts, but I respect efforts to get new material for the characters, provided it's at least quality for what it is.

I don't see Speedy needing much of an update. Considering there was over reaction to him not being P.C. in the early 00's, and he was beloved for actually being the anti-Stereotype, nothing really needs to be severely altered. I don't see this movie being anything but the Hispanic equivalent to the Chipmunks movies, which Speedy really doesn't fit into. I'd love it if they had Sylvester in there, but then he'd be the star since he's slightly more well known. But trying to wrap my head around something that will just disappear in a few months seems a little meaningless. Unless this film actually goes somewhere, I don't see another LT movie being made, especially a solo character film.
I agree with you completely. I didn't think of putting Sylvester in the movie. That would make even more of a better movie then just Speedy being the main character. I wouldn't mind seeing that. Now would he be the same CGI type character as Speedy or would he just be a regular cat but able to talk?

Me i would rather him be CGI other then just a a regular cat.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whatever he is, I doubt it's happening. And I doubt they'd put Sylvester or Daffy Duck in it. Given the (for lack of a better term) "quality" of the Daffy vs. Speedy cartoons, I'd rather not have the constantly angry and unfunny version of one of my favorite characters in there.

Side note... three worst things related to Looney Tunes? Loonatics, Baby Looney Tunes, and those insufferable 1960's Depatie Freling Looney Tunes shorts. And sadly, I actually prefer Loonatics to the 60's shorts because at least the second season had trace amounts of effort in them. And the animation was better.

Anyway, I don't see any LT movie happening, so I really can't say either "This is going to ruin my nostalgia" or "this is going to be an epic character relaunch." I'm sure every LT character was planned to have some movie at some point, but nothing came out of it. Taz probably had a vehicle buzzing around, considering how stupid popular he was in the 90's. Just because we have the internet now, these kinds of "look what crazy thing got greenlit" reports are more widespread. There's also a Tom and Jerry CGI hybrid movie that went no where. Only thing for sure I know is finally getting made, it's Johnny Quest. Good. Now the studio mandated ban on Venture Bros from calling the characters their actual JQ names has born fruit.

And we would have had the Jetsons too, had they didn't goad Rodriguez into making that completely unnecessary fourth Spy Kids film.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyway, I don't see any LT movie happening, so I really can't say either "This is going to ruin my nostalgia" or "this is going to be an epic character relaunch." I'm sure every LT character was planned to have some movie at some point, but nothing came out of it. Taz probably had a vehicle buzzing around, considering how stupid popular he was in the 90's. Just because we have the internet now, these kinds of "look what crazy thing got greenlit" reports are more widespread. There's also a Tom and Jerry CGI hybrid movie that went no where. Only thing for sure I know is finally getting made, it's Johnny Quest. Good. Now the studio mandated ban on Venture Bros from calling the characters their actual JQ names has born fruit.
There's also been a live-action adaptation of The Last Unicorn planned almost a decade ago from another company, but there's been no news on that since then. The original movie was a cult classic and as sacred as the mythical creature starring in it, so maybe there were forces at work preventing it from happening. Though something a little closer to the book wouldn't have been all bad.

And we would have had the Jetsons too, had they didn't goad Rodriguez into making that completely unnecessary fourth Spy Kids film.
Warner Animation is supposedly starting over with new Flintstones and Jetsons animated movies. I hope John Goodman would at least return to voice Fred for the former, as he was easily the best cast in the original live-action movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd figure that if they were to do a Flintstones project, they'd get Jeff Bergman as Fred. He seems to be their official voice recast, with James Arnold Taylor only doing the cereal commercials (back when they were actually in them).

If it's true about these animated movies going forward, that is exciting, especially since Jetsons haven't had a new project since the Jet Dry commercials. Flintstones at least got that weird WWE movie. There was also talk of Scooby-Doo as an animated feature. Though, that's tricky because of their 2-3 DTV animated movies a year. How are they going to convince anyone of the more casual Scooby fandom to buy a movie ticket for a Scooby film when there's such an oversaturization of feature length Mystery Inc adventures?

Drtooth

Reaction score
GOL'DURN IT, WARNER BROS!!!!

How many times do I have to tell you not to come up with another movie concept until you finish your last one.

Yep, now Pepe LePew is scheduled for a movie that will never happen!