Your Thoughts: Half-hour Sesame Street begins on PBS September 1, 2014

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure the new episodes made for the half hour format will have a better flow to them. I really didn't like the street stories being edited, since they seem to have cut the punchlines of some of them. And it really felt like some of the new episodes from last season knew they had to make shorter story lines and we wound up with rushed stories like the Thrift Shop one and Everyday Magic.

Hopefully season 46 has more breathing room in its segments to give a better half hour experience.

WorldOfSesame

Reaction score
I'm sure the new episodes made for the half hour format will have a better flow to them. I really didn't like the street stories being edited, since they seem to have cut the punchlines of some of them. And it really felt like some of the new episodes from last season knew they had to make shorter story lines and we wound up with rushed stories like the Thrift Shop one and Everyday Magic.

Hopefully season 46 has more breathing room in its segments to give a better half hour experience.
Actually, as you said, they will. I did some major research and come to find out the following is a really big shocker. SESAME STREET WILL HAVE 2 SEASON 46'S!! Actually, 20 new episodes (which begins starting today November 30, 2015 at 10:00 A.M.) are still new and will appear as 1/2 hr. episodes with the old current street setting. The episodes will be apparently known as "PBS Season 46" or the alternate of "Season 46 PBS". Then HBO's Season 46 (the regular new season 46) is on as noted in the regular lineup.
My question is, why is Sesame Workshop doing this? Will there now be two different American Sesame Street series or not? My thought is if Sesame Street began on PBS then it should stay PBS. I don't get HBO anyways, never mind cable or satalite TV anyways.
Just thought I'd mention the weirdness anyways.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My question is, why is Sesame Workshop doing this? Will there now be two different American Sesame Street series or not? My thought is if Sesame Street began on PBS then it should stay PBS. I don't get HBO anyways, never mind cable or satalite TV anyways.
If that's indeed the case, it's not weird at all. I applaud SW for keeping "new" episodes in the running while it will take 9 months to see any of the actual new stories on broadcast. Besides, if all the repeat episodes are on HBO, that's kind of a ripoff. I know the HBO deal was last minute and something tells me that there would have been a crapload of reruns to fill out the 26 episodes this season anyway if that didn't happen. Giving PBS recycled episodes while giving the HBO run new ones is kinda a d*** move, but considering that HBO really wanted something out of their deal with SW, it's understandable they'd keep the new ones exclusive for a while.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Actually, as you said, they will. I did some major research and come to find out the following is a really big shocker. SESAME STREET WILL HAVE 2 SEASON 46'S!! Actually, 20 new episodes (which begins starting today November 30, 2015 at 10:00 A.M.) are still new and will appear as 1/2 hr. episodes with the old current street setting. The episodes will be apparently known as "PBS Season 46" or the alternate of "Season 46 PBS". Then HBO's Season 46 (the regular new season 46) is on as noted in the regular lineup.
Just thought I'd mention the weirdness anyways.
Where are you getting this info from? I don't think that's the case at all. From the PBS listings I've seen, the episodes re-running now are billed as "45##," meaning they're extensions of season 45, not season 46.

WorldOfSesame

Reaction score
Where are you getting this info from? I don't think that's the case at all. From the PBS listings I've seen, the episodes re-running now are billed as "45##," meaning they're extensions of season 45, not season 46.
Sources are from tvguide.com, Sesame Workshop's website, Time's website, and I unfortunately forget the other two sources that I found.
Anyways, today's episode "Finishing The Splat" is a new episode. New episodes will air every 2-3 weeks, usually on a Monday and replayed the Friday of that same week.

Mostly known, this information is kept low, especially from HBO so the deal of a Season 46 will not be ruined for future funding of Sesame Workshop. At least I think that's right.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not seeing anything like that on SW or TVGuide.

WorldOfSesame

Reaction score
Oh, I'm also sorry...Street scenes may be reused in episodes with newer segments on episodes though. What a shame, as I just hate that all together! But maybe...I dunno. Are these new episodes been modled off the original hour episodes? I just don't know. BUT WHAT I DIDN'T FIND OUT (much to my disgrace) is where they built the episodes from. Isn't their street set different now? Why am I seeing (as I just web searched this) old episodes claimed as new with edited new segments. Why? This makes me so sad...

WorldOfSesame

Reaction score
New question...is it just me or did anyone else hear a half-hour Sesame Street Muppet Spinoff is going to happen this January as well. What is that about? Why the...?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
New question...is it just me or did anyone else hear a half-hour Sesame Street Muppet Spinoff is going to happen this January as well. What is that about? Why the...?
As a part of the HBO deal with SW, they've asked them to produce more shows for them. One of which is a Sesame spin-off specifically. It's not debuting in January, as far as I know. It's way too soon for them to have developed anything yet.