Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
An animated DTV movie with the original voice cast? That could work... And we could get Bill Murray involved in the franchise again like he originally wanted. And it should be pointed out that not only would Bill Murray took over Lorenzo Music's well-known VA role as Garfield after Music's death, he would be reclaiming the character he originated in the live-action movies that Music took over from him in the animated series.
Talk about life imitating art imitating life. :concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno. Ramis is gone, and he'd need a replacement voice actor. Besides, the video game served that exact purpose. I'd love to see a Real Ghostbuster DTV project somehow. I have to admit, some of the mythos in the cartoon (at least the earlier, more mature seasons) was pretty good, and better than some of what we got in the original sequel.

Not as much of a disconnect as the Men in Black movies vs the cartoon series which had waaaaaaay better concepts than the entire film franchise. They already did the time travel bit better in the cartoon with the crazy xenophobic human who time jumped to kill all the MIB founding members, all the while MIB got smaller and less advanced. Loved the third film, but seriously... cartoon did it better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember how I was always wondering why they didn't do a DTV Ghosbusters animated movie? Well, surprising news today...

Sony is working on an animated Ghostbusters film

Other than that announcement, no details on if it will connect to any GB continuity, let alone being The Real Ghostbusters or not. And if it's in anyway related to plans for the animated Spider-Man movie. It would be great if this was RGB related, though it's vague on how likely it is. It's said to skew younger audiences, but so didn't the original cartoon. And before ABC's NS&P stuck their fingers in it, it was quite dark... sometimes oddly moreso than the movie was. So that could mean anything.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wow, has anyone ever seen this? Someone put together a recreation of a deleted scene from Ghostbusters II, where Ray is possessed by Vigo in the middle of the film and deliberately tries to crash the Ecto-1 into a tree! You can still read the dialogue in the comic book adaptation. Wow, it's pretty disturbing, I guess they were afraid it would be too scary for kids. But it does help to better explain what happens to Ray at the end of the film.

I'm willing to accept the fact that no matter what they do, no one's going to be happy with it. But what I'm annoyed by is the fact the fans wanted a GB3 so bad that they continuously egged everybody on, even though they wouldn't have been happy with the result.
Well, you know, I was randomly watching Ghostbusters II the other day, and maybe some of that positively charged slime got on me too, but I just don't feel like getting mad at this new movie anymore, lol. Good or bad, it's just another chapter. And I am genuinely interested in the final results!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, you know, I was randomly watching Ghostbusters II the other day, and maybe some of that positively charged slime got on me too, but I just don't feel like getting mad at this new movie anymore, lol. Good or bad, it's just another chapter. And I am genuinely interested in the final results!
That makes you one of the sane ones. Some GB fans are just hammering everyone involved with death threats. That's taking things way too far. There's a difference between not liking the idea of making a new film based on something close to you, and being in such a fandom comfort zone that any change or resurrection is so sacrilegious that violence has to be threatened to stop it from getting made.

I'm going to keep an open mind about this one, and little of it really bugs me. I don't like how it's an alternative universe reboot. It doesn't have to be, nor does it need to be. I'm disappointed that the potential for the original Ghostbusters licensing themselves out for franchising, or at least making a nice stab at the other Ghost Busters referencing the old "Famous Original Ray's Pizza" gag never materialized. Also, it would have been great if they got Aubrey Plaza instead of Kate McKinnon, and had her play some sort of version of Kylie from Extreme Ghostbusters (she was retconned into the comic books). But that's what I would have done anyway. The accepted fan sequel is the big video game from several years back where they had the budget to get all the original actors to do their voices, anyway.

Of course, I'm much more excited to see if that Animated movie happens, regardless of it being associated with the cartoon series or not. And the animated Spider-Man movie that I hope still happens.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm going to keep an open mind about this one
Maybe part of what's changed my mind somewhat is all these blockbuster franchises lately and fans being so shocked when not every single movie is amazing. That's actually pretty normal, guys, lol. And, more to the point, not the end of the world.

To be fair, I think some fans just don't want to see the original talent behind Ghostbusters getting screwed over. I can understand that.

Btw, that deleted scene I mentioned earlier, do you think it should have been kept in the film? I wonder if it indicates Ghostbusters II was originally a bit less family friendly than the final results.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I personally gave up giving a crap what fans of film franchises think when they actually defended Superman III to attack Man of Steel. Superman III is a terrible, indefensible movie who's plot makes a sub-standard Superfriends episode look like the best of the Batman the Animated series episodes. When you have a nostalgia based hatebone for something, at least attack it by putting it up against something good.

Seriously. I really hate Superman III. I mean, really hate it. It's one of the worst movies I've seen, and I've seen some awful stuff on syndicated weekend line ups.

Then there's the whole annoying bit about Tron vs. Tron Legacy, and it's like... you know the original film was famous for being a flop, right? The most popular thing to come out of that (other than references in cartoons 2000 and beyond) was Corey Burton basing Shockwave's voice on David Warner in that film. Same can't be said about the well received and screwed by the network Tron cartoon series. The cartoon series, once again, becomes the better sequel to the film than another film. Just like Ghostbusters and Men in Black.

Then again, Jurassic World seems to have been received better than the other Jurassic Park sequels, mainly because it managed to keep itself tongue in cheek and have a likable lead. And Mad Max Fury Road was met with thunderous applause.

Still, you wonder... Ghostbusters fans barely liked the second film. I like it myself, but feel the cartoon (until ABC had its way with it) better handled the characters and themes than the second one did. I liked the idea of them constantly being in business rather than falling on hard times after they defeated Gozer. And the more said about the Men in Black animated series, the better. They did time travel better than the (admittedly good) third movie, and the Agent Alpha plot from the cartoon really should have been a thing instead of what the second film was about.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ghostbusters fans barely liked the second film.
That is so strange to me; I guess some of it is generational? I did see Ghostbusters II in the theater when I was 6 years old; I personally was entranced from the very first shot of the crack on the street with the slime coming out, lol. Yes, it's nowhere near as edgy as the first one, but bottom line for me, the characters' personalities are still in tact and that's so not typical for a sequel.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Then again, Jurassic World seems to have been received better than the other Jurassic Park sequels, mainly because it managed to keep itself tongue in cheek and have a likable lead. And Mad Max Fury Road was met with thunderous applause.
According to Cracked, Mad Max may not be getting a sequel because it wasn't released in China and didn't incessantly pander to its government in order to make the real money.

I doubt GB3 will get released there, either, as anything involving the supernatural is taboo now. :rolleyes:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I doubt GB3 will get released there, either, as anything involving the supernatural is taboo now. :rolleyes:
Well they're not too far off, you know Dan Ackroyd is a true believer. :wink:

Mad Mad may not be getting a sequel because it wasn't released in China and didn't incessantly pander to its government in order to make the real money.
Yeah it's pretty disturbing how these studios placate to a government like China's.