Questions about anything

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a serious one: why when they play movies on cable do they still have that "this movie has been formatted to fit your screen" disclaimer when all movies and TV shows shown on TV are cropped in widescreen now?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Here's a serious one: why when they play movies on cable do they still have that "this movie has been formatted to fit your screen" disclaimer when all movies and TV shows shown on TV are cropped in widescreen now?
That leaves me with a number of guesses:
  1. Some movies are produced in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9, so they may have to crop those, even for HD broadcasts.
  2. Some HD broadcasts might, for some strange reason, use a 4:3 cropped version of a movie, though I'm not sure anyone actually does that, seeing as I no longer have cable.
  3. Perhaps it's a warning for those who are watching a 4:3 standard broadcast if they don't get HD, but even then I know some networks will air widescreen programs on 4:3 broadcasts with black bars.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After watching Mr. Enter's great Admirable Animation review of the Star Vs. the Forces of Evil episode "Mewnipendence Day", he talks about the pitfall that even good shows fall into of sidekicks being underpowered compared to the main character, and that got me questioning: why does he think that Mabel Pines and Steven Universe are underpowered? Sokka from Avatar I can kinda understand as he lacks element bending powers, but it's clear that Steven's shield powers have just as much importance to the team (and he is getting better at using them), while Mabel can throw quite a mean punch when the episode calls for it. I mean, she punched that jerk unicorn in the snout in the GF episode "The Last Mabelcorn" and completely beat the crap out of her later (albeit off-screen).

Last edited:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I was watching Teen Titans Go this morning and I was wondering:

If Raven is half-demon, why is she nice? She was obviously raised in ****, so I'm not sure why she even tries to be Nean (nice + mean, as she said in that one episode). Maybe because she's not all demon.

Also, why did they turn her into a Pegasister in the new episodes? When the original Teen Titans fan saw THIS

They were like:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So what's going on with Facebook right now? How come some pages now have huge cover pics and really tiny profile pics, but others still have normal-sized of both? Also how come some pages (like mine, for example) now only show the two most-recently posted things on the timeline, but other pages still show full timelines?

Schfifty

Reaction score
You know when Digiorno Foods decided to change the boxes for their small microwavable pizzas so you could peel the side flap, and flip the top side around to place the pizza on the attached metal tray? Was that, like, really a good idea? Most of the time, I can't even peel the top side off its creases correctly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My problem with those heating sheets is that they tend to burn the center of the pizza, so that the outer portion of the pizza is nice and soft, then you get to the center and it's like really hard and crunchy.

I wonder why Red Baron decided that you couldn't just heat their french bread singles (or as we called them when we were kids, cheese in a boat) in the microwave, you have to cook them in the oven, then microwave them. Didn't have to do that before.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't remember if I've asked this here before or not, but on the show Soap, Peter Campbell was murdered by Chester Tate, which ended up being the result of a brain tumor (which, I think, also caused him to forget that he was the murderer until later), and it was said that he was no longer held responsible because the murder was beyond his control, and therefore was allowed to be released from prison, charges dropped. But could this really happen in real life, under those circumstances? He was just let out of jail, as opposed to being locked up in a mental institution? Of course he was given surgery to remove the tumor, which might have been why he could just go on like nothing happened afterwards.

I've also read multiple things online that say that Chuck was originally going to be the one who killed Peter, and would have stayed in jail, but audience reaction to Chuck and Bob were so good that they decided not to have them be sent to jail. I haven't seen any official sources (like an interview with somebody who worked on the show) that state this, just websites like TV Tropes and YouTube comments. There's quite a few things that seem to support this theory*, but I wonder if the whole tumor thing was a result of having to change the killer, while also keeping that character in the cast and be easily forgiven. Then again, if Chuck and Bob were the killers, they should have just had Chuck get the tumor like Chester did (that would explain why he treated Bob as real, though it could have also meant the end of Bob).

*Things that support the theory:
1. One of the bonus features on the season one Soap DVD, as well as Jay Johnson's own words in the documentary "I'm No Dummy!", mention that Chuck and Bob were originally only supposed to be on the show for a few episodes and then leave. I always noticed that when it was announced they were arriving, they never actually said whether they were moving in or just visiting, and if they were just visiting, they quickly changed their minds and stayed there. Though a few years ago it occurred to me that once Peter was killed, all of the suspects (including Chuck and Bob) were ordered not to leave town until they found out who the murderer was, so that likely kept them from going back home (and perhaps staying after they'd been required by law to stay for awhile). It's possible their reason for visiting was to get closer to Peter and kill him.
2. The fact that Chuck always treated Bob like he was real could have been him having a real mental problem, which also could have resulted in him killing his brother, or he could have been using Bob to fake insanity.
3. The "who killed Peter Campbell?" storyline took a fairly long time (maybe half the season), it's possible they quickly decided not to have Chuck be the killer, but needed more time to figure out who the killer was and why he killed Peter. I wonder why it had to be a Tate or a Campbell (though the officer rightfully knew it was somebody from either side of the family). Or maybe they thought it was a really strong storyline and wanted to get as much out of it as they wanted to.

TV Tropes points out one scene where Bob supposedly writes rude letters to Jodie, which doesn't get resolved and ends there, referring to it as an aborted arc, and speculates that it might be an artifact to the shows original plan for them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was watching Teen Titans Go this morning and I was wondering:

If Raven is half-demon, why is she nice? She was obviously raised in ****, so I'm not sure why she even tries to be Nean (nice + mean, as she said in that one episode). Maybe because she's not all demon.

Also, why did they turn her into a Pegasister in the new episodes? When the original Teen Titans fan saw THIS
She was obsessed with Pretty Pretty Pegasus since the beginning (first episode exactly, that's what the stupid sandwich plot was about, so she could get the other Titans out of the Tower to watch that) because it was a lame voice actor joke. Tara Strong is also Twilight Sparkle you see.

And frankly, she's nice because both her an Starfire are written the least like comedic sociopaths. Yep. A demon is one of the least sociopathic characters in the show. Heck, the villains are often the protagonists in the show. We're bnot supposed to feel sorry for The Hive, yet....