Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So, anyone watch the Justice League special episode?

Yes Darkseid did have Weird Al's deep imposing voice, though only at first. Starfire offered him a lossange and he reverted to his normal voice. What's worse was that Cyborg then recognized Weird Al's voice and they pretty much broke the fourth wall as Darkseid praised Weird Al's diabolical plans.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was another of the "what they should be doing" episodes to me. They spent the first part of the episode essentially making fun of it being one, all the while commenting on how they don't have enough story to go beyond 10 minutes. And that was pretty much half the 10 minutes. Delightfully meta.

I kinda wish Weird Al's Darkseid was on a bit longer. And there's a nice call to Cyborg being a member of the Justice League too. Why can't more episodes make fun of DC mythos?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, good stuff all around in that episode.

Batman, he always tells you his name so there's never any confusion.
I'm Batman.
Would you stop disappearing dramatically?!

I'll destroy the Earth and your precious Weird Al!

Oh, and I've caught up on a few episodes missed lately like Music Transformation or The Night Begins to Shine, The Whisperer, Rainy Days (which was uber-stupid) and Control Freak's Titans Reboot which was hilarious at least when comparing the current series to the previous one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why everyone says the worst episodes are things like "Let's Get Serious" and "Robin Backwards" when episodes like Head Fruit and the Rainy Day one are just...awful. Even for them. I accept and actually enjoy that this is a trolling show and everything, but the episodes where the Titans get obsessed with something stupid and act like idiots are wild swings of actually good and wastes of 10 minutes.

If there's three things the show does well, it's trolling the original 2003 cartoon's fanbase, getting meta, and making fun of DC mythology. That's why I really didn't like the series at first. It opened up on sandwich and pie jokes, and at least the pie episode sort of referenced previous Teen Titans cartoons. While the DC Nation shorts were chock full of meta parody, the writers seem to only go that route once in a while.

I did like the Night Begins to Shine episode, especially the Transformers references.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I just saw the episode where Robin wanted to be a cat. I didn't know he was a furry, :stick_out_tongue:.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I don't see why everyone says the worst episodes are things like "Let's Get Serious" and "Robin Backwards" when episodes like Head Fruit and the Rainy Day one are just...awful. Even for them. I accept and actually enjoy that this is a trolling show and everything, but the episodes where the Titans get obsessed with something stupid and act like idiots are wild swings of actually good and wastes of 10 minutes.

If there's three things the show does well, it's trolling the original 2003 cartoon's fanbase, getting meta, and making fun of DC mythology. That's why I really didn't like the series at first. It opened up on sandwich and pie jokes, and at least the pie episode sort of referenced previous Teen Titans cartoons. While the DC Nation shorts were chock full of meta parody, the writers seem to only go that route once in a while.

I did like the Night Begins to Shine episode, especially the Transformers references.
I agree that Teen Titans Go is definitely overhated. The unfair flack that gets slung at it is just as bad as the hatred that other "reboots" such as the new Muppet show, the new Mickey Mouse shorts, The Looney Tunes Show, Wabbit, etc. constantly receive. Just because it's not the original series does not mean it's bad! :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
TTG is a special case, though. It's clearly meant to seriously tick off fans of the original. Other reboots at least try to keep fans in mind and wind up annoying nostalgic fanbases, TTG is a show that says "Screw you! 8 Yesar olds love us!"

Now, I'll admit to kinda liking the show and when they do an episode right, they actually have something. But for the most part, it's just... this is the only DC comics regular cartoon series there is. That's one thing I can agree to the hate for. Green Lantern couldn't get a toy line because of the movie, Young Justice's toy line didn't sell and too many girls were watching (they're under the impression cartoons are only for boys), and Beware the Batman also got screwed because of both budget and having a female lead instead of Robin. But this cheaper series that kids love manages to not only survive, but also become the network's most beloved show to the point where every day is a freaking marathon and they air an additional hour on Boomerang. So, yeah, it deserves every bit of hate it gets there as well. Only positive thing I can say about TTG being on the network that much, at least it's not Johnny Test or Annoying Orange.

But when I was defending the show, I was defending those specific episodes. Those are actually pretty fun stabs at the critics. If they made more episodes like that the show would be something. No. Instead we have episodes that tell kids to chew their food and ones where they have to play rainy day games to keep some stupid thing from happening.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
TTG is a special case, though. It's clearly meant to seriously tick off fans of the original. Other reboots at least try to keep fans in mind and wind up annoying nostalgic fanbases, TTG is a show that says "Screw you! 8 Yesar olds love us!"

Now, I'll admit to kinda liking the show and when they do an episode right, they actually have something. But for the most part, it's just... this is the only DC comics regular cartoon series there is. That's one thing I can agree to the hate for. Green Lantern couldn't get a toy line because of the movie, Young Justice's toy line didn't sell and too many girls were watching (they're under the impression cartoons are only for boys), and Beware the Batman also got screwed because of both budget and having a female lead instead of Robin. But this cheaper series that kids love manages to not only survive, but also become the network's most beloved show to the point where every day is a freaking marathon and they air an additional hour on Boomerang. So, yeah, it deserves every bit of hate it gets there as well. Only positive thing I can say about TTG being on the network that much, at least it's not Johnny Test or Annoying Orange.

But when I was defending the show, I was defending those specific episodes. Those are actually pretty fun stabs at the critics. If they made more episodes like that the show would be something. No. Instead we have episodes that tell kids to chew their food and ones where they have to play rainy day games to keep some stupid thing from happening.
You do have some valid points. Definitely more rational-sounding than what the rabid haters spew out.

I can also see how it might be getting over-exploited, a la Elmo, SpongeBob, Winnie the Pooh, etc., but TTG is certainly more tolerable than most of the bad modern SpongeBob episodes, as well as the aforementioned examples.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In the case of Spongebob, the writers that everyone hated left and the original creator came back as executive producer. The show has steadily improved since the release of Sponge out of Water.

TTG, to be honest, I have complicated feelings about. I indeed like it, but feel it has that Family Guy factor. Not only because the characters are Peter Griffin-ish, but it has that level of high success ratings security that the writers can pass off idiotic episodes and no one seems to care. I feel the show can be good when it wants to, but would rather coast because it's that popular and doesn't need to impress its audience. Certainly not as much as any of the other CN originals, some being much more fan friendly. I can't stress enough that out of the chibi-sized parody versions of super heroes, Marvel Super Hero Squad was far superior. It knew its audience was kids of geek parents and managed to walk a fine line of kid friendly and having something for the adult fans. TTG is just... odd in that aspect. It's meant for kids, but it gets very disturbing and adult. It has a higher kid's fanbase than an adult one. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be on the schedule as much.

Of course, so wasn't Johnny Test which no one liked (at least past the admittedly watchable first season), but that's because it was really cheap to acquire, as it was cheap to make and got a Canadian Tax Credit. There's actually a line of JT little collector's figures. They went on clearance almost immediately. And at TRU to boot.

When it comes to it, the main gripe I have with TTG is that they're just lazy. It's easier to have them all act like idiots than to have them do something special. That's been the biggest problem this current season. Lots of episodes where they get fascinated by something stupid and the God or King of that something stupid shows up to praise or antagonize them. While episodes like "Fourth Wall" and "Two Parter" actually make the most of the series concepts, but are in short supply. The Rainy Day fun one was especially moronic. I find episodes like that deserve more scorn than ones made to troll the fanbase.