Sesame Street Season 46 Press Kit; HBO premiere set for Saturday January 16, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It looks exactly what I think it would look like and sounds exactly what I thought it would sound like. Something made in the '10's...maybe a couple years behind. Elfy ukulele music? Check. Over used movie effect where everything is in slow motion for no good reason? Check. It's still trying to be hip, and the music sounds like it came from a Greek Yogurt commercial that uses the buzz words "All natural" to the point where it has no meaning.

By which to say it isn't by any means a bad opening. It's pretty good, I guess. I'm just glad that they actually changed the opening (when they should have last season). Best thing about it? We no longer have to look at the embarrassing "homunculus Zoe" puppet before every episode. Especially since they stopped using it seasons ago.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
The theme is not that bad. I think it sounds similar to the original version. I don't really like the "oooh ahhh"s at the beginning. The slow motion seems a bit unecessary as well. But it's great otherwise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
All those random slow motion moments were so unintentionally hilarious to me. I've seen it used way too often in parody form to not laugh a bit. :smile:
Even in good movies I'm sick as a dog of that trope. It's been way too overused and they really need to retire that gimmick. It's a poor fit for a ukulooloo accompanied theme anyway. That's the only real sore point here for me.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't really mind it much, the slow-motion. The intro looks GORGEOUS despite it. The show itself won't look nearly as good by comparison. The arrangement is pretty good too; it's a shame it's only one verse, but ah well.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The Sesame Street YT account has posted the Season 46 opening and the new version of the theme is okay, nice shots of the set though

The video has now been made private. Someone must've accidentally uploaded it earlier than intended.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't really mind it much, the slow-motion. The intro looks GORGEOUS despite it. The show itself won't look nearly as good by comparison. The arrangement is pretty good too; it's a shame it's only one verse, but ah well.
That's the problem with theme songs anymore - for shows that still use theme songs, that is - they shorten them considerably (usually down to one verse like you said) to make room for more show.

I really liked how they did the lighting in the intro, really made it look like the sun was rising over the street for a brand new day, really made the whole street look all the more realistic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the problem with theme songs anymore - for shows that still use theme songs, that is - they shorten them considerably (usually down to one verse like you said) to make room for more show.
Actually, it's to make room for more commercials if anything. It's a choice between a long theme song or decent enough show runtime. I'm mixed about TV theme songs. I like them, but if it comes down to more show, I feel that a fleshed out runtime is more important. But if the theme song is less than half a minute to begin with, I find it just... like, really? I never understood why Gumball's already short theme song needed 15 seconds cut from it. I mean, that's only one extra short TV spot. Barely. We can't even have end credits now because they have to squish them at the end of a show during. While it makes sense for sitcoms, I despise that Nickelodeon does it at the end of their animated programming. Especially when it's something like TMNT, where you don't need to know there's only 30 more seconds of plot. But that's a side rant.

There's something really bright and sunny about this intro, and I really think that's what an intro should do, grab the audience's attention. I really like the staging and lighting here. But what really makes this opening unique is that it uses the actual Sesame Street set. I may need to look at previous openings, but... is..is this the first time they actually did that? I remember seeing kids and Muppets playing in fields and parks, or more recently, dancing around cartoonish backdrops, some only loosely representing the set. I never really understood the point of the original openings with kids playing in parks and playgrounds and stuff. There's no representation of anything actually on Sesame Street until Big Bird pops up. This new opening at least shows you what you get. Sesame Street. Not Sesame "the rural parts near the" Street or Sesame "Chalk Drawing of the" Street or Sesame "something that's a cartoon representation of a street, but not specifically Sesame" Street. On that aspect alone, I find this a strangely overdue opening.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
Now that there's going to be a new superhero segment (Smart Cookies is a superhero segment, right?) I guess Super Grover 2.0 and Cookie's Crumby Pictures are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.