"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
D*Snowth would love this.

They have a Snoopy toy that plays part of the Megan Teighnor song.

:rolleyes:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody found this: a couple days before the movie's release, Peter Debruge from Variety magazine had an axe to grind. The movie needed some "modernization", and that end would've been satisfied by giving Charlie Brown a " non-white love interest".

So, ol' Chuck should be shacking up in an interracial fling, to be socially relevant.
One more hack scribe pushing his own agenda.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody found this: a couple days before the movie's release, Peter Debruge from Variety magazine had an axe to grind. The movie needed some "modernization", and that end would've been satisfied by giving Charlie Brown a " non-white love interest".

So, ol' Chuck should be shacking up in an interracial fling, to be socially relevant.
What?? How can they complain about his love interest being white? His love interest has literally always been the same person!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Older franchises don't need modernization, modernization is what ruins these older franchises, because they're losing the charm that made them so unique in years past all in attempts of telling the world, "We're Still Relevant, ******!" This is why the new ALVINNN!!! AND THE CHIPMUNKS series is doing so much better than those awful movies Fox keeps cranking out: Fox has control of the movies and keeps changing the characters' personalities to make them appealing to kids today; ALVINNN is under the control of the original creators and the characters sound and act more like they used to. This is one of the reasons I loved THE PEANUTS MOVIE: it was respectful to the characters and they didn't fall victim to modernization - they seemed every bit the characters that Charles Schulz envisioned. And guess what? THE PEANUTS MOVIE is a smash at the box office right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I read the headline of another review that complained about it being dull, and I find that much worse. Slow pacing is what made this movie good, and not the spastic fart and poop humor most of these things are subject to. I agree with D*Snowth's complaints about the Chipmunks movie. Spastic and loud and full of crude humor that's just tossed in for the sake of being tossed in. The "Dutch Oven" joke in the second movie was just... awful, unnecessary and pasted in. And I don't see why slower paced, more emotional kid's movies are so rare and baffling. Pixar manages to make their films nice and smooth. Even Dreamworks is pretty chill when it needs to be.

And on the subject of modernizing, it's like the word "edgy." Film producers don't know what the word really means, but apparently thinks it's bad humor for 4 year olds and even worse humor for their parents who were dragged into those kinds of film. It's like when they say "ethnic" when they mean cheap stereotype of what white guys think ethnicity is. You know what I'm talking about. The character in things like Air Buddies that talks in outdated rap slang because they understand their "urban" (read, straw black kids that 50 year old white guys make up) audience.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

Ah yes, I was surprised no one brought this up either.

Actually, I'm going to say I agree with this. Peanuts always tried to be forward thinking. Peppermint Patty being a tom boy, wearing shorts and sandals, and being the child of a single father, all were pretty unusual at the time.

And frankly, Hollywood still has a real problem including female African American characters in lead roles.

And anyway, Charlie Brown barely ever even spoke to the Little Red Haired Girl. It was a crush, not the love of his life.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And frankly, Hollywood still has a real problem including female African American characters in lead roles.
Halle Berry? Viola Davis? Gabourey Sidibe? Sanaa Lathan? Jada Pinkett Smith? Queen Latifah?

Remember a time when Whoopi Goldberg used to be a big A-lister?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Halle Berry? Viola Davis? Gabourey Sidibe? Sanaa Lathan? Jada Pinkett Smith? Queen Latifah?

Remember a time when Whoopi Goldberg used to be a big A-lister?
Exceptions rather than the rule. And they (like the male actors) quickly become the tokens that Hollywood goes to again and again. The doors just don't open as wide as they do for other groups.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hollywood always goes to the same people again and again . . . need I say anything more about Neil Patrick Harris or Jennifer Lawrence? They're freakin' everywhere!

snichols1973

Reaction score
When Lucy says "No dogs!" to Snoopy, it reminds me of the recurring "No Dogs Allowed' line from Snoopy Come Home. When Charlie Brown picks up the Little Red-Haired Girl's pencil, he successfully manages to hold on to it and return it to her, as compared to A Charlie Brown Valentine (2002), where Lucy snatches the pencil from his hand and ruins his chances of a potential conversation.

After finding out that it was Peppermint Patty and not Charlie who got the perfect score, P.P. doesn't appear to show any indications of moving beyond her perpetual D-minus status; she even has a "Sally moment" when speaking about " 'Leo's Toy Store' by some guy called 'Warren Peace' "....

Even Charlie Brown's potential character is recognized by the little red-haired girl:

CB: Before you leave, there's something I really need to know: Why, out of all the kids in the class, would you want to be partners with me?
LRHG: That's easy; it's because I admire the type of person you are.
CB: An insecure, wishy-washy failure?
LRHG: That's not who you are at all. You showed compassion for your sister at the talent show, honesty at the assembly. And at the dance, you were brave yet funny. And what you did for me, doing the book report while I was away, was so sweet of you.
[bus horn honks]
LRHG: Sorry, I have to go now.
CB: Wait.
[gives her her pencil]
CB: I think this belongs to you.
LRHG: Oh, thank you! I've been looking everywhere for this!
[gets on the bus]
LRHG: I'll write to you, pen pal.

Good Ol' Charlie Brown even manages to inspire the neighborhood kids when he successfully flies a kite while in pursuit of the LRHG.

In the film, Marcie's last name is listed on the bulletin as "Carlin"; since the film was produced after Schulz's passing, this is apparently intended to be non-canonical....