"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
was the music from the Trailer in the movie like The Who and some of the Modern Music ?
The only real modern music in the film itself was that Megan Trainor song written expressly for the movie and the other thing that you see in the trailers, but in context it's not that bad (there's a school dance sequence, so one of the songs is used there). Seems that it was the one thing the studio pushed on the film, and thankfully the only thing. I didn't care much for it, but frankly, that's the only even slightly negative thing I can say about this movie.

It's fantastic. Easily Blue Sky's best film, and that's thanks in part to keeping the film in the family. Two of Schulz's kids wrote the script, and they're both like super hyper protective of their father's characters. This film captured all the sweetness and emotion of classic Peanuts media without having to assemble a story from old strips. And I have to admit, that thing worked better in the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show than the recent specials. There's not a drop of low brow humor in the film. And the little mythology gags tossed in were pretty cute. They had little asides to Snoopy Come Home, and surprisingly even the semi-obscure New Year's special had a couple shout outs. The most modern thing in the film was a standardized test and a recycling bin. Still used those classic rotary phones so Chuck can get tangled up in the cords. And the ending gave me a lump in the throat. I can safely say that it's one of my favorite animated films of the year, and I enjoyed it around as much as Inside Out.

While the kids are all voiced by kids, Snoopy and the birds were archival recordings of Bill Melendez, and every adult is a trombone, they did sneak in one celebrity guest, but it's a welcome one. Fifi is voiced by Kristen Chenowith, someone familiar to the Peanuts as she played Sally in one of the musicals (I forget which). And even then, it's just dog yips and squeaks.

Seriously. I wish the Garfield movie was even a fraction of as good.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
The only real modern music in the film itself was that Megan Trainor song written expressly for the movie and the other thing that you see in the trailers, but in context it's not that bad (there's a school dance sequence, so one of the songs is used there). Seems that it was the one thing the studio pushed on the film, and thankfully the only thing. I didn't care much for it, but frankly, that's the only even slightly negative thing I can say about this movie.

It's fantastic. Easily Blue Sky's best film, and that's thanks in part to keeping the film in the family. Two of Schulz's kids wrote the script, and they're both like super hyper protective of their father's characters. This film captured all the sweetness and emotion of classic Peanuts media without having to assemble a story from old strips. And I have to admit, that thing worked better in the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show than the recent specials. There's not a drop of low brow humor in the film. And the little mythology gags tossed in were pretty cute. They had little asides to Snoopy Come Home, and surprisingly even the semi-obscure New Year's special had a couple shout outs. The most modern thing in the film was a standardized test and a recycling bin. Still used those classic rotary phones so Chuck can get tangled up in the cords. And the ending gave me a lump in the throat. I can safely say that it's one of my favorite animated films of the year, and I enjoyed it around as much as Inside Out.

While the kids are all voiced by kids, Snoopy and the birds were archival recordings of Bill Melendez, and every adult is a trombone, they did sneak in one celebrity guest, but it's a welcome one. Fifi is voiced by Kristen Chenowith, someone familiar to the Peanuts as she played Sally in one of the musicals (I forget which). And even then, it's just dog yips and squeaks.

Seriously. I wish the Garfield movie was even a fraction of as good.
good to hear I plan to see this with my 7 year old nephew, my mom and dad, and my sister I am sure I will love it, and you say that Megan Trenor song is in the credits? if that is the case I can deal with it even though I always stay for the entire credits.

Drtooth

Reaction score
good to hear I plan to see this with my 7 year old nephew, my mom and dad, and my sister I am sure I will love it, and you say that Megan Trenor song is in the credits? if that is the case I can deal with it even though I always stay for the entire credits.
I would. There's another song by her, but it's thankfully reserved for the credits. I wouldn't say that the couple of songs they used in the film would anything remotely negative enough not to see the film. It's really well done on every level otherwise, and perfectly captures the heart of the Peanuts.

Drtooth

Reaction score
uhhh... if I said anything about the movie being successful enough to garner a sequel, unfortunately there probably won't be one, but only due to rights and the massive amount of work to get this movie itself already. Even though it did modestly well enough to get one, Fox was only licensed to make one. They could always renegotiate, but I don't think they will.

Sigh... Blue Sky actually made a masterpiece here. Now they're gonna just go back to Rio and Ice Age type films. Then again, the movie's classiness is all because of the Schulz kids and estate. Blue Sky just provided the animation.

I really think there's a good potential for a movie about Snoopy and his siblings (though I can't think of a way it wouldn't just be a 90 minute remake of Snoopy's Reunion).
They do make a short cameo at the end, but I really think they all deserve bigger screen time, especially my personal favorite, Spike.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw the movie today. It was good. I thought it was odd that most of the movie takes place in the winter. I know, many strips do take place in the winter, and there have been a handful of non-Christmas specials that take place in winter, but it still seems a little odd (I wondered if they'd go throughout the school year, and they do, except winter ends about ten minutes before the movie does). It's a little awkward that the only baseball scene happened in the winter (and that was Charlie Brown practicing).

Seems like the other characters aren't as mean to Charlie Brown as usual, though at first I thought Lucy was going to be meaner than she's been known to be. At one point, during the time when everybody thinks Charlie Brown got a perfect score on the standardized test (somehow I feel it should have been predictable, though I previously looked at one of the book adaptations and therefore already knew about it), I thought Lucy was going to try to do something to spoil it for Charlie Brown (like trick him into pulling the football away... In fact she could have pointed out that he's a big celebrity now and wouldn't, only to do so and have everyone's opinions of him revert to their old ways).

And considering how much respect/idolizing Charlie Brown got from his classmates over his perfect score, it seems like Pepprmint Patty didn't get the same kind of treatment when it was revealed that she actually got the high score. And how'd she end up with the perfect score? I would have expected Linus or Marcie to have gotten the perfect score over her.

This movie sort of felt like a cross between You're in Love, Charlie Brown and A Boy Named Charlie Brown.

I noticed in the scene where the scores are shown, most of the characters last names are written, but Franklin is only written as "Franklin" (and Pig Pen is listed as "Pig Pen"), with no last name given. I also spotted 5 written on there, but didn't spot him in the movie.

It's odd that Linus seems to have a smaller role than usual.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that in this movie, Patty's hair is blonde, when she's usually a brunette in color. Though when I was starting to be more interested in Peanuts around 1995, I saw her in some black and white pictures and assumed she was blonde. And I wonder what's up with that, her hair being brown but black and white drawings don't color her hair black like Marcie's hair.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed that in this movie, Patty's hair is blonde, when she's usually a brunette in color. Though when I was starting to be more interested in Peanuts around 1995, I saw her in some black and white pictures and assumed she was blonde. And I wonder what's up with that, her hair being brown but black and white drawings don't color her hair black like Marcie's hair.
There were some other alterations among the characters aside from Patty: Violet's outfit was, well, violet instead of green and Sally's dress was pink instead of blue.

But this movie was absolutely fantastic, wonderful, incredible, I can't remember the last time I absolutely loved a movie I saw in theaters aside from THE MUPPETS (2011) and MMW. See Hollywood? This is what CGI adaptations of comic and cartoon characters should look like! I felt like Charlie Brown was finally the winner of his own story, and it was absolutely heart-warming and touching - I feel like Schulz would have been proud.

Could have done without the Meghan Trainor soundtrack, but even that is a very minor quibble considering what a great movie this is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But this movie was absolutely fantastic, wonderful, incredible, I can't remember the last time I absolutely loved a movie I saw in theaters aside from THE MUPPETS (2011) and MMW. See Hollywood? This is what CGI adaptations of comic and cartoon characters should look like! I felt like Charlie Brown was finally the winner of his own story, and it was absolutely heart-warming and touching - I feel like Schulz would have been proud.
As I said, that's because the family is extremely protective of their father's property, and Snoopy is a big enough worldwide beloved character that they have enough pull to fight the film distributors and come out with a win. The sons of Charles wrote the film for the most part. Not only did they keep it a classic feel, they managed to avoid any technology keeping iconic scenes like being wrapped up in a phone cord in tact.

Then I hear what's going on with the Popeye movie... tsk tsk. Double tsk! That's a tsk all the way.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Interestingly, regarding the involvement of the Schultz kids, I recently read that Charles Schultz was never able to buy the copyright back from United Features Syndicate, so it's not like they really needed the family to approve of the movie.