The Chipmunks

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember those Miley Cyrus rumors as well, and I wasn't happy about them either . . . and this was well before she lost her mind, I just simply didn't like her - she can't act anyway.
Retrospectively, I didn't so much have a problem with her as much as I did with the whole "only < 12 year old girls matter" Disney thing at the time and how it was affecting animation on television. I don't want to go back into that rabbit hole again, but I never liked that period of Disney, particularly as a Disney fan. Remember, it took a preschool show for Mickey Mouse to become relevant again. And he's THE cartoon character. Anyway, it just felt like another overexposure of the singer at the expense of...again, logic. It's not like they were going to tote her popularity if she was an indistinguishable high pitched voice.

I'd say she was all right voicing Penny in Bolt.
And I'd say the same for John Travolta. Both names had me initially stay away from the picture, but they were actually...good in it. I'm no fan of Travolta, but Bolt and Pulp Fiction had him shine. Though, Miley was basically brought in through corporate synergy. At least it wasn't like the odd choice of shoving a new character played by Miley into Emperor's New School. It threw the ratio off.

As I've said before, as sick as I am of NPH being every where (seriously, it's gotten to the point that every thing he does or says has to be all over the news, like sharing pics of his kids - he's almost got Kardashian-level media attention) I do respect him for not being another washed-up former child star, and has managed to not only keep his image and record clean, but earned a very nice career for himself beyond Doogie Howser.
The funny thing is, the uptick in his career was because a movie parodied the fact he wasn't the typical sob story. Though it seems that How I Met Your Mother was his last big big thing, and any sitcom following might just be the subject of a Seinfeld curse type situation.

But back to the subject... I don't see the new movie holding its own against the big big big big movie this season. Chipmunks may be a veritable popular franchise, but not as big as the other thing coming out at the same time. This isn't an ethnic princess movie they're going up against this time. It's STAR WARS. I'm sure the younger kids that would fidget like heck during Force Awakens would be taken to Chipmunks 4. Plus with KFP3 and that awful Polar Bear movie, it doesn't even get a comfy January vacation spot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So "She's Got Style" implies that the kids are teens, considering that coniving fashion designer said that Jeanette was a teen trend setter, but it's episodes like "Superheroes" that makes it hard for me to swallow that, because to see Theodore running around playing superhero and Alvin going along with him seems definitely like something they would do in the 80s series, where they're explicitly eight.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The new series already has a soundtrack. Found a copy yesterday, and it's 13 of the original songs from the show. Not that I wouldn't expect a soundtrack eventually, but I was surprised at how timely this release was. I'd almost expect a second volume by the time the rest of the episodes air.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Generic, random-episode DVD sets are already available for pre-order.

Anyway, I'm still really confused about their schooling: Nick.com says they're in high school, but in yesterday's episode ("Doggone It") they get out at 3:00, which is middle school (or, at least, middle school where I come from; high school was 3:30 or 4:00). Oh, and Derek the Bully mentioned that he's in detention during "third period" . . . if they have periods, why are they in only one class? That's elementary.

Speaking of Derek the Bully, I'm really not liking this guy, not because he's a bully, but because he's a personafication of status quo: he was introduced in that anti-bullying episode where he and his posse kept picking on Simon, but they gave up their bullying ways in the end, and Derek even apologized to Simon at the end . . . then after that, he went right back to being a bully and has stayed that way ever since: it makes the anti-bullying episode less effective since Derek continues to bully afterward.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw one trailer for the new movie, which only showed the Chipettes in one scene. Didn't Dave end up taking them in in the second movie? I haven't seen the third.

Something tells me that the Chipmunks and Dave's fiancees kid will end up getting along and become okay with being step brothers during their attempts to stop the wedding.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh wow. . . . Road Chip has poop jokes and fart jokes - I notice Bagdasarian Productions isn't being mentioned as being behind this movie, I'm almost glad they're not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know we've complained about the movies having poop jokes in them (like that raisin bit you're so fond of, Drtooth), but I have to say in yesterday's new episode: I don't care whether or not it was necessary for Alvin to get crapped on by a raven - bird poop will always be timelessly funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bird poop jokes don't bug me at all. I can even take a fart if it's done right. I actually laughed pretty hard at Dave saying "NO ONE IS FARTING ON ANYBODY!!"

But yeah, the movies are another story. The Pizza toot joke in the trailer was gratuitous.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, yesterday's episode is stirring up quite a debate among the fandom, and no, it's actually not about one of the families that came to look at the house was mixed: it's about Simon seemingly not concerned that Jeanette slammed into the closed window and fell into a bush down below. Oh nose! Simon doesn't care about Jeanette? He must not really love her! :stick_out_tongue:

Muppy

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm still really confused about their schooling: Nick.com says they're in high school, but in yesterday's episode ("Doggone It") they get out at 3:00, which is middle school (or, at least, middle school where I come from; high school was 3:30 or 4:00). Oh, and Derek the Bully mentioned that he's in detention during "third period" . . . if they have periods, why are they in only one class? That's elementary.
I'm in High School and my school ends at 3:00.