TV Tropes

Drtooth

Reaction score
It depends on how long the pages have been in existence, and who contributed to them. TV Tropes have become real fuddy-duddies about complainy content, they prohibit anything that comes off as snarky, sarcastic, or negative - you can get in trouble for that; the former two may have been in existence for quite some time and haven't gotten much attention from the mods, otherwise, they'd probably be locked or nuked for being complainy pages. Even their Darth Wiki section (Wallbangers, Crowning Moment of Suck, etc.) are under constant surveillence.
It seems that some pages are more even handed than that one. Maybe I'm not getting something, maybe I need to watch a lot of that series (or at least what can be attained) but it seems that certain pages that sort of need an even hand are filled up by fans who gush about things. Like a certain movie about wolves.

I would love it if they showed Aaah!!! Real Monsters! or Invader Zim this month.
I don't see why Zim isn't a Nicktoons staple, considering they're still selling T's at Hot Topic with Gir on them. Real Monsters is more of a The Splat thing.

snichols1973

Reaction score
In Star Wars: A New Hope (ep. IV), Grand Moff Tarkin informs the Imperial officers that the Emperor has just dissolved the former Republic's Senate and that in addition to control by Imperial governors "fear will keep the local systems in line, fear of this battle station." Admiral Motti says that the Death Star "is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it." Vader warns him "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." Motti retorts with "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion hasn't helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortre-" just before Vader Force-chokes him, only to be stopped by Tarkin.

One of the subordinate officers suggests "We've analyzed (the Rebel fighters') attack, sir, and there is a danger. Should I have your ship standing by?" Tarkin: "Evacuate in our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."

Meanwhile, only two of the X-wing Red squadron successfully manage to approach the Death Star's thermal exhaust port: Red Leader, who keeps his navigational computer turned on, only for his torpedoes to miss the mark just before he gets shot down, and Luke Skywalker (Red-5), who turns off his navigation at the urging of Obi-Wan Kenobi's ghost, and even Vader, who manages to survive, remarks "The Force is strong with this one" as Luke trusts the Force, and his one-in-a-million shot (with help from the Force's guidance) successfully blows the Death Star (and the arrogant Tarkin) to countless fragments.

On the Dark side, those who trusted in the Death Star's power are never heard from again and Vader, whose Dark Force pwoer is second only to the Emperor's, manages to survive, while Luke, who trusts in the Force and deactivates his radar survives, in contrast with Red Leader, whose shot misses in spite of using his radar and gets blown away.

Is there some sort of specific trope where the Force makes the difference in a battle's outcome?

Drtooth

Reaction score
So a week ago, I looked at the TVTropes YMMV page on Teen Titans Go, and under Fan Nickname they had an interesting entry that said that the show is referred to as "It's Always Sunny in Jump City."

Why this is remarkable is because I was referring to the show personally as something similar "It's Always Sunny at Titans Tower." I never knew that others felt exactly this way. Though, to be fair "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is at least consistently funny.

Actually, now that I think of it (reason why I'm editing this in) is that I actually saw an episode of IASIP a while back where they were sitting around grumbling that they weren't getting awards or recognition and felt they had to change themselves. Then the Teen Titans episode "Breaking the Fourth Wall" came on and Control Freak was grumbling about how the show should have won awards and got him respect. Hmmmmmmm.... Suppose Beast Boy is Charlie Day? Sapceshipspaceshipspaceshipspaceship.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the "First Installment Wins" page, I realize that I've missed the point of that one (wouldn't be the first time I missed the point of a trope page). I thought that was for works where the first one is the one that fans generally consider the best (and it listed works where I was pretty sure fans liked the sequels better), but now I see that it's more about how in a franchise, elements from the first one get referenced and parodied a lot more than elements from the sequels and follow-ups.

Interestingly, while I was looking at the page the other day, shortly before I realized what "First Installment Wins" is really about, I saw it list the '80s/'90s Batman movies, and I was surprised that so many liked the first one better (Batman Returns and Batman Forever have their fans). It's my least-favorite of those Batman movies (okay, maybe I have it tied with Batman and Robin). It says that that one has the most lines quoted, but there aren't really any lines that I remember. Growing up, I remember a lot more from the sequels. Batman Forever is the only one of them that I haven't seen in theaters, but is the only one I had on VHS, and Batman Returns and Batman and Robin are both movies I didn't see in their entirety for years (I saw both at the drive-thru, and fell asleep before both ended) - I wouldn't see Batman Returns again until 2004,and although I would see bits and pieces of Batman and Robin over the years, wouldn't see the whole thing until 2012.

snichols1973

Reaction score
How do I add (or submit) an example to be posted as part of a particular trope? Let's say that I found a memorable quote that I wanted to post and contribute as an example; what section of the page would I go to in order to submit the example in the hopes that it eventually gets posted on the trope's main page?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I almost wish I was a member of that site so I can add those annoying Crayola commercials I mentioned in another thread to either "We're Still Relevant" or "Totally Radical." But the way D*Snowth goes on about the place, I'm glad I didn't. Though I'd love it if someone did that dirty work for me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, it's That Guy! is supposed to be for when you recognize an actor in something from somewhere else, but I've been noticing that lately people are using it to cover writers and directors - somebody out to go to the trivia sections fo AN AMERICAN TAIL and THE LAND BEFORE TIME, since they were written by SST writers Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if the "First Installment Wins" could apply to works of an actor or behind-the-scenes member. For example, it seems like I Love Lucy is Lucille Ball's best-known show, the one most heavily seen in syndication and home video. The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy were both successful, and all three shows had six seasons each (ILL has more seasons if you count The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour), and yet they don't seem to be as popular. Here's Lucy actually seems to be underrated. I recently saw some episodes, and that show was good (it doesn't have a TV Tropes page). While the first two Lucy sitcoms were shown on Nick at Nite, Here's Lucy was only broadcast on that channel the week I Love Lucy was added to the channel (as part of a marathon that featured every Lucille Ball show, even Life with Lucy).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's kind of like Sid & Marty Kroffts' stuff: everybody knows H.R. PUFNSTUF, that was their first in a long line of shows with freaky life-sized puppets inhabiting psychedelic worlds. But then it seems like with each new show they did (save for LAND OF THE LOST, which is a special case anyway), they just kept getting weaker and weaker. THE BUGALOOS was a good show, though it wasn't PUFNSTUF. Same with SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS - it was good, but it wasn't PUFNSTUF. D.C. FOLLIES is perhaps an underrated gem of theirs - it came along much, much later, but at the same time, it was something of a Transatlantic Equivilent of SPITTING IMAGE.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Evidentally, TV Tropes has entirely done away with the Wallbanger section . . . I know TV Tropes is really cracking down on complaining throughout their Wiki lately, but isn't this going way too far?

Not only that, but TV Tropes in general seems to really be shifting its gears and becoming more and more saccharine: in the old days, they used to thrive on sarcasm and snarkiness - particularly on subjective pages like YMMV and such - but now, you can actually get in trouble for posting sarcastic entries on pages. They've gotten really strict with their YKTTW drafts too: if it even remotely seems like it's going to be a complainy trope, they'll shoot it down and nuke it immediately.

But honestly . . . completely doing away with the Wallbanger section? Come on!