Happy That Day from Back to the Future II!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ever heard of Fresh Off the Boat?
That's indeed the first one to nostalgically look back at the 90's. I almost want someone to do a deconstructive parody of 90's vain singles trying to get some type show. But I'm sure the mainstream audiences wouldn't accept a deconstructive parody type show.

That said, I'm sure there's a retro-nostalgic 60's based show I'm forgetting. All I can think of is that horrible NBC drama whose advertisement cut off the last 20 seconds of "Everyone Matters" at the end of the VMX. Gah, was that a vapid show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How could I forget Wonder Years? That's the example of the nostalgic based sitcom. And how could I not forget Oliver Bean?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was thinking about the scene where Doc and Marty see the cops taking away Jennifer, Doc tells Marty they can't clear things up with the cops, remarking "what do we do, tell them that we're time travelers? They'd have us committed."

Now that is a good point, except that they do have proof of a time traveling device. They could have told the cops, showed them their time machine, sent them back in time, and they'd prove it.

Though it also seems like Doc was trying to keep the time machine a secret. I wonder if he had always intended on his time machine for his own personal enjoyment (even if he did have Marty record information about it), or if he had originally intended on marketing the time machine, which I wouldn't be surprised if he'd changed his mind afterwards, after realizing that it would be bad if it fell into the wrong hands (or even after 1955 Doc realized that it's better not to know too much about the future). Of course, Doc's 1955 meeting with Marty most likely had something to do with him inventing it as well, since Marty would need to go back in time and so on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that is a good point, except that they do have proof of a time traveling device. They could have told the cops, showed them their time machine, sent them back in time, and they'd prove it.

Though it also seems like Doc was trying to keep the time machine a secret. I wonder if he had always intended on his time machine for his own personal enjoyment (even if he did have Marty record information about it), or if he had originally intended on marketing the time machine, which I wouldn't be surprised if he'd changed his mind afterwards, after realizing that it would be bad if it fell into the wrong hands (or even after 1955 Doc realized that it's better not to know too much about the future). Of course, Doc's 1955 meeting with Marty most likely had something to do with him inventing it as well, since Marty would need to go back in time and so on.
Indeed Doc was trying to keep the machine clandestine, for the obvious reasons of what happened in BTTF II. If anyone else got their hands on that technology, they could do some serious damage. I would tend to agree that he wanted to build it for the sake of building it, but would then realize how dangerous an item it is, like he did at the end of II and most of III.

Now as for the comic book released yesterday that ties into the films, it's mainly a series of small stories establishing things that weren't in the films, as well as some alternate time line tales. All under the supervision of Bob Gale. And the first issue states the burning question I've always been curious about, how the heck do Doc and Marty know each other? Well...

Essentially, Marty is Doc's errand boy, and they met through Marty needing a tube for his amplifier...well...some bully's amplifier, and Marty trying to contact the Doc after he finds out the only store that carried them sold everything to him. So after finding cryptic clues left by Doc, Marty is somehow considered worthy to accept the assistant job.

snichols1973

Reaction score
But the biggest concern I have, knowing that this will probably happen today as well what with the New York Mets completing a sweep... Will they have to change the scene with the man outside the clock tower talking about wishing he'd put some money on the Cubs after seeing the announcement of how they won the 2015 NL pennant? If that scene's gone, then what would have prompted Marty to buy that D* sports almanac?
Great Scott!
As of last night, the Cubs winning (let alone making it to) the World Series as predicted in BTTF 2 is nothing more than a speculative prediction that never came to pass, as the New York Mets swept the Cubs in 4 games, winning 8-3, by coincidence, on 10/21/2015, the 30th anniversary of BTTF Day.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And the first issue states the burning question I've always been curious about, how the heck do Doc and Marty know each other? Well...
It's similar to what was mentioned in some of the DVD bonus features (and I think I heard that it was mentioned in the junior novelization), there it was said that Doc needed Marty to clean his garage, and he offered him 50 dollars and use of his music equipment (I think I've also read that he gave him beer as well).

One thing I'd like to see is some kind of remake from Doc's point of view. Each film takes place in whatever year Marty is in (excluding about a minute after the time machine leaves the present). We never see what Doc experiences in his time traveling if Mary's not there. I'd like to at least see what his life was like during his time in 1885 before he sent Marty the letter.