The Gravity Falls Thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Caught some of last night's episode on repeat this morning and I feel they're doing a bit of redcanning on themselves.

Was the portal Stanford built meant to bridge dimensions releasing the beast that drove Old Man McGuckan to create the GF-verse's version of the Neuralizer used as the prime tool by the Society of The All-Seeing Eye led by Toot Toot McBumpersnazzle?

Or was the portal built to bridge dimensions as a bait and switch fleecing orchestrated by Bill Cifer to allow his fellow fifth-dimensional Q's permanent crossover turning our world into their twisted playground?

Also, nice shot at the whole unicorn horn pure-of-heart schtick.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds like the combination of both, really.

What happens essentially is that Stanford was always looking to build something of that caliber, but couldn't until he got help from Cipher. McGucket, being Ford's assistant, was wise to Bill's true nature and was so horrified that he erased his mind. Ford knowing the same managed to keep knowledge of this but hide it away from anyone else.

Anyway, I really like how the episode looked like it was going to be a goofy, filler episode with Mable, her friends, and Unicorns until that huge WHAM B story about Ford.

I like how they didn't go into obvious "let's make fun of MLP" territory (minus her toy at the beginning) and went the normal, twisted GF route. Also liked how the main Unicorn was the same guy who does the voice of Pops on Regular Show. You could totally hear it in her voice.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I do like that reveal that Celestabellebethabelle (C-Beth for short) was really a big jerk and was stringing poor Mabel around all this time. It's a nice twist on the modern-day portrayal of the pure and innocent unicorn.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And a nice sting at the lame "pure of heart" trope. Mabel does indeed have character flaws that make her imperfect. Look at her actions in the Puppet Show episode for one. I really like how they were about to get into a deep discussion about morality, only for Stan to interrupt the moment by jumping in and grabbing the treasure. No on can be truly pure of heart, so it's nice to let some reality settle in there.

But, well... Mabel is purer of heart than a certain other Kristen Schaal character. Wink wink.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And a nice sting at the lame "pure of heart" trope. Mabel does indeed have character flaws that make her imperfect. Look at her actions in the Puppet Show episode for one. I really like how they were about to get into a deep discussion about morality, only for Stan to interrupt the moment by jumping in and grabbing the treasure. No on can be truly pure of heart, so it's nice to let some reality settle in there.
And C-Beth did make a point about how doing good deeds for others rather than for yourself makes for a pure heart, even though Mabel was doing them to protect her family and friends.

But, well... Mabel is purer of heart than a certain other Kristen Schaal character. Wink wink.
Which one, Louise or Sarah Lynn? The former would probably turn C-Beth into uniburgers, while the latter would probably grind her horn up into a powder and snort it. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Louise.

I've always wanted to do fan art of a Yin Yang with an Angel Mabel and Devil Louise. Just never got around to it. I've always loved the contrast between Mabel and Louise. I mean, she's played some cute quirky characters and some nasty little snots (like Victoria Best). Something I find fascinating, even though other voice actors have more of a range of character. Usually they have major differences in their voices. Like Jim Cummings being both Darkwing and Nega Duck with a similar voice, but the villain has more of a scowl and sneer to his voice. But there are those who just use something approximately like their normal voice, but change the tone. Mabel has a for the most part cute little girl voice, while Louise's voice is similar, but a little more gruff and sneaky and she seems to both yell and grumble a lot more.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, that was gut-wrenching. Dipper and Mabel are about to turn 13 just as summer is about to end. And while Dipper wants to stay in Gravity Falls to become Ford's apprentice, Mabel is learning that high school won't be quite the musical she expected it to be (:wink::wink:), and is crushed that Dip (along with her BFFs) may not be by her side to get through it all.
Oh yeah, and Bill Cipher tricks Mabel into creating an interdimensional rift and putting the fate of the world at stake.

That said, I am still waiting with bated breath on the announcement of a 3rd season, which I bet would probably continue with the twins returning to Gravity Falls next summer. Disney better not throw this show under a bus for more Pickle & Peanut, which has nowhere near the same cult following.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd also hope to see a third season, and not see Dipper and Mabel leave the airwaves with their leaving Gravity falls. Yet, I get the feeling the showrunners would probably be okay with the series ending with the second half of summer because they've pretty much exploited some pretty big concepts this season that changed the course of the series. I mean, Bill Cypher's trying to destroy the world, there's not too much that can outdo what's going on now the way that this season has outdone L'il Gideon's takeover of the town. This leaves me conflicted. Either the show ends but ends on a big, glorious note, or it gets renewed and risks that hard act to follow. Sucks this thing doesn't have any merchandise in stores (I never found any of the GF toys except for the puking Gnome), but at least it has a cult enough following and Disney is still making TV cartoons. I'd love to at least see a DTV film with them in it after the second season.

Personally, I'm worried about all three major Disney cartoons and want them to spend more time and effort on Penn and Star as well over Pickle and Peanut. I can't for sure say the show is outright terrible (it's like a watchable Stone Quackers), but I don't think I'd bother watching it regularly beyond the 2 episodes I saw. I do like Jon Heder in it, though. But not nearly enough to support the series.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'd also hope to see a third season, and not see Dipper and Mabel leave the airwaves with their leaving Gravity falls. Yet, I get the feeling the showrunners would probably be okay with the series ending with the second half of summer because they've pretty much exploited some pretty big concepts this season that changed the course of the series. I mean, Bill Cypher's trying to destroy the world, there's not too much that can outdo what's going on now the way that this season has outdone L'il Gideon's takeover of the town. This leaves me conflicted. Either the show ends but ends on a big, glorious note, or it gets renewed and risks that hard act to follow. Sucks this thing doesn't have any merchandise in stores (I never found any of the GF toys except for the puking Gnome), but at least it has a cult enough following and Disney is still making TV cartoons. I'd love to at least see a DTV film with them in it after the second season.
I think there's a lot more to explore in that universe with new episodes. Like with the minor characters such as Wendy's dad and siblings, or Mabel's BFFs. I'd also love to see Pacifica team up with the twins.

Personally, I'm worried about all three major Disney cartoons and want them to spend more time and effort on Penn and Star as well over Pickle and Peanut. I can't for sure say the show is outright terrible (it's like a watchable Stone Quackers), but I don't think I'd bother watching it regularly beyond the 2 episodes I saw. I do like Jon Heder in it, though. But not nearly enough to support the series.
I just hope P&P keeps to itself like their kidcoms, is all.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I see promos for new animated shows thinking they'll be awful... Then I happen to catch the conversations here or a few episodes when finally browsing channels, and then decide whether I actually like them or not.

GF has been a genuine good show. Gotta wait the requisite two weeks for the next episode though.
BTW: Was it way obvious to anyone besides me that when Blandon appeared offering Mabel eternal summer through his time-bubble that it was really Bill trying to trick her into handing over the rift?
BTW2: Second time a rift has played such a huge roll in an animated Disney series after The Great Rift from Aladdin's series.