When you need to rant...

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Not happy right now.

My mom and dad refuse to get me an iTunes gift card.

I have to keep reminding my parents to get me an iTunes gift card and they still have not gotten me one yet.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You want a field day...hmmmmm...

well first off all, whatever panicky crap about the childhood obesity epidemic we've had it's...well... apparently working. The levels of obesity have dropped dramatically in recent years among kids.

Secondly... this is where I'm getting into a deep, personal bitterness angle, so bare with me.

I wouldn't the heck be surprised in the slightest if that PSA wasn't somehow accurate. Looks get you hired. Looks, and a video resume voice overed by a B list celebrity which brings us to field day trip number one: Human resources are the WORST people in the world. You know how they have all those unwritten rules about what makes or breaks an interview? While some of it is the obvious "be more polite in the interview situation than you would normally" stuff, a lot of it is monkey shines for their amusement. As in you have to pick the right exact font and format for your resume for them to toss into the pile and hire their friends anyway. And oohhhhh if you even think about putting Comic Sans on there, pull out a loaded shotgun and kill yourself, because you're worth more to the world of employment to a corpse than someone that doesn't know the exact perfect fonts to use on this sort of thing. Side trip: I HATE FONT NERDS!!! I hate the stupid names they give to fonts that make no darn sense, and half of them look exactly the same unless you've a darn Font Nerd and know to every pixel on a letter there is and how they're arranged on the tips of an uppercase L.

Anyway, back to my rant about HR. There's a certain kind of bread and circus to interviewing. They love to see you trying your darndest not to twist in the wind. They want you to be enthusiastic about working at a dead end job, but don't you dare be overenthusiastic or even slightly under enthusiastic or you're apparently not "sit at a desk filing reports for no reason" material. They ask loaded questions with such a smug little grin that can't be answered right enough. And at the end of the day you better the Heck write them a thank you note for doing their freaking jobs and interviewing you. I swear, they love to see all the hope in your eyes fade. They probably got their jobs because they know people and didn't even need to interview. Like I said, Human resources are the scum of the Earth. And yes, bitterness, frustration, and whatever makes me say that.

Which brings us to the second, main trip: Of course it's going to be tough for kids to get jobs because we tell them to reach for the stars, only to find there's a limited number of them and we probably sold them off to other countries and made the rest obsolete. Parents want what's best for their children. No one makes a kid's show where a happy little puppet comes out and says "Hey kids! You're all worthless cogs, and the chances of you getting a dream job are so slim, you'll go mad." No teenage focus show says "if you're planning to go to college, you better the heck have had 10 years of employment under your belt or really rich parents with connections, cuz it's all just a scam we imposed on you." You find this stuff out when it's too late. No one gives 2 craps about you or your dreams because everyone has the same exact dream and only the ones who were predestined to get those dreams (i.e. not needing to go to college for any other reason than getting a piece of paper saying you're qualified) actually succeed. Yep. You can only succeed if you're the perfect amount of lucky and connected or just have rich enough parents to buy your way into something.

We have too many kids reaching for too little stars. So what does that mean? A lot of college educated kids fighting to the death for the same low paying crap jobs they could have got had they dropped out of high school. And they're darn lucky to even get that. Thanks Baby Boomers. Yep. We have this nice society that says "Tall Poppy Syndrome is BAD! But we're going to enforce it anyway."

And of course, the third and final stop: Absolutely hypocritical treatment for fat people. Why is it that when some talentless schmuck movie critic spends an entire review saying how disgustingly fat he thinks Mellisa McCartney is, everyone jumps in to say how much of a D-Bag he is, YET when it's something negative happening to fat people that actually has an effect, everyone's suspiciously silent? How come it's all "You're slightly above weight! You go, Girl!" when a celebrity is barely curvy, but when it's an actual fat person in distress it's all "you should be ashamed of yourself for being in my line of vision and making me feel disgusted. Eat at the same expensive hipster gastro pub I can easily afford but you can't." Or, bringing it back on topic, "you ain't gettin' hired if you ain't screwable." Like I've always said, look at the "Best and Worst beach bodies" tabloid at the grocery store. It's "EWWW! Anorexic person! They need our help" next to "giant gross fat beast with the face blocked out! You'll never guess who it is! Mainly because it's someone you've never heard of." I have a feeling that a lot of the fatophobia is from vein, vapid, constantly at the gym types who constantly dread the imaginary day they wake up, covered in gravy and look at their sausage finger hands getting smothered by their swollen wrists. OH NO! Now only a certain portion of the population will wanna bang them!

Yet, I do see really fat people all the time with work. Hmmm. I guess they want you to be thin and attractive when they hire you, only due to lack of getting out of the cubicle you wind up large anyway.
A side note on the subject of fonts:
I used to get office e-mails "From the office of JOE BLOW" with his name magnified 16x and embroidered with all these flowers and filligrees and stuff... "staff meeting at noon".
He wasn't that high on the corporate ladder, but wanted to believe he was. Narcissistic little grunt.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
My dad just gave me an iTunes gift card yesterday.

Guess what?

I wasted it already!

Now, I don't have enough money to get the apps that I really want!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, the American public really does have a short attention span, doesn't it? Last week when the shooting at the Oregon community college took place, the public finally got onboard and was like, "Yeah, why don't we have some kind of gun control to prevent this stuff from happening all the time?" So now, Obama is visiting the college to meet with the victims and families, and now we're right back to square one as the whole town is protesting his visit like, "Obummer's comin 2 tak r gunz away! Obummer's da worst prezidant evr! Shoot Obummer instead!"

No words. No words.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We're never going to solve guns. The NRA has the right wing wrapped around its finger tightly. Listen to the Republican candidates on the subject matter. They're even crazier than Trump. Ben Carson especially. He blames victims for not rushing the gunman (which someone did and got shot 7 times for doing so) when the only time someone pulled a gun on him, he cowered and said something to the extent of I'm not the guy you want to shoot. Shoot him. Like Daffy freaking Duck. This is who's running for President? Come to think of it, the entire party is full of Daffy Ducks.

The solutions we're getting from them is usually "buy more guns" which couldn't couldn't be a bigger sign they're on the take. And while I do say they have a point about the state of mental health in this country, they violently revoke that but cutting budgets to the bone and thus closing the very same mental health facilities said potential gunmen could be housed at! They don't give a crap about mental illness at all. It's the NRA's money talking.

But here's the thing that ticks me off. Not so much the guns are cool mentality (they kinda are, but speaking from a fictitious standpoint), but the absolutely danger to itself and others level of insanity of the circular logic of "We need to stockpile guns in case the government legalizes guns so we can overthrow the government to protect the guns we stockpiled to overthrow the government from daring to take them away." The mountain men militia, who if any other religion besides Christianity would be called a terrorist cell for their views. The ones that listen to the lying, pseudo-American far right conspiracy theorist Medicine Wagon men who only exist to make money off these dumb, easily frightened people. Just... no one wants to take away anyone's guns, but I'm sure even responsible gun owners would agree that the fringe groups hurting their image shouldn't have guns.

That said, gun safety has become much more lax since their big evil Muslin Commie "Nawt mah Presidink" came into power, and even gun shop owners basically have come forth saying that threatening unspecific reforms spike gun sales up. So yeah, they're willfully taking advantage of the situation. What great people. The little "Mom and Pop" gun stores are just as bad as the NRA.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I don't know what's going on, or what the deal is, but for like two weeks now, there's been random explosions in the neighborhood that pop at any given time of the time (sometimes as early as the crack of dawn) and nobody seems to know where they're coming from, what's causing them, or why they're happening, but quite frankly, I'm getting aggrivated with them, i wish they'd stop.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As someone who needs the shift key in making digital artwork I can safely say this.

The Caps Lock key is a useless piece of utter crap that has no freaking value in any use of a computer of any kind. Not for the internet troll who keeps everything in all caps. Not because of the sheer laziness of those who feel the need to make everything all caps that can't be bothered holding the shift key down. Not because that it doesn't even work on anything outside of letters rendering it pointless anyway since you still have to hold down the shift to get the symbols (unlike the typewriter where it actually made sense).

No.

The fact that it's so &^^*%^&*^ close to the &*(^&^ shift key and it's so incredibly easy to hit it accidentally, thus erasing large segments of selection (when using any computer illustration or photo related program, you need to hold down the shift to select other areas) and having to start over again. It's very existence is only for error and typos. It's considered rude to type things in all caps, especially long passages. We have ways of altering text with different fonts and styles. All caps is completely obsolete on anything that isn't a typewriter, itself obsolete. And if it is needed, why no hold the darn shift key down?

I say future generations of computer designers... chuck the darn Caps Lock key and just make a larger shift key. No errors, no mistakes, no accidentally hitting the key and then typing without realizing the caps are on. Just seriously. *&^%$ the *&%^$ing caps lock key!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This isn't completely a rant, but. . . .

http://www.chubbypuppies.com/

I cannot believe this is being marketed to kids in this day and age. What about the childhood obesity epidemic? Y'know, that thing that caused them to redesign Pikachu and Billy (from Billy & Mandy) to be slimmer because they somehow promoted childhood obesity?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, those things are kinda cute. Don't get the toy line at all, but it does seem to have appeal. I guess there's some sort of semi-rhyming scheme to the name. I'd call them Wobble Puppies or something. I'd say a Chubby Kitties line would have made more sense, but that toy would (for realism sake) just sit there and do nothing.

The toy that really baffles me is (how do I put this) A Lollapaloozy baby doll you feed Play Doh and it... defecates flowers and buttons. And they treat it in the commercial like it's a good thing. There's another doll that works on the same level, but poops poop shapes (and talks). Well, there goes the old standard of girls toys being more disgusting than boys ones.