The Muppets Episode 3 - Bear Left Then Bear Write

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Bear Left Then Bear Write"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Bork bork! This episode was good.

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

terrimonster

Reaction score
because the muppets new show is bringing drugs in to there story lines, like it or not.
Comedic value and audience-appropriateness of drug references: on-topic.
Personal opinions on drug use and legalization, especially if not tied directly in to discussion of the show: off-topic.
Your personal opinions on drug use and legalization: sufficiently covered in previous comments.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
darth, kindly let it go. Not everyone thinks like you do. Not everyone wants t legal to be used recreationally. You have to accept this and people WILL get mad and annoyed abut it. and yes I will be annoyed at the jokes about that.
You seem to be missing the point. In EVERY single episode so far when the electric mayhem has been used for a joke it ALWAYS involves drugs. To me it feels like the characters are being reduced to nothing but excuses to make jokes about drugs which I consider very offensive to the characters. They should not be devolved into that. It's annoying especially for those who happen to love the band.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be fair, since the show brought it up, I don't think it's off topic to discuss the legalization issue. Obviously we're not all going to agree, but we've done that with other topical issues.

terrimonster

Reaction score
When did the show bring up the legalization issue? Saying the band is happy "legally" is not the same as bringing up the issue, just a fact. I don't see what it has to do with the show to state one's views of why drugs shouldn't be legal any more than to argue why they should. I do think it's on topic to discuss how those topics work within the show (since, you know, the show is the topic). It would be different if Scooter or Bobo had opined on the significance of legalization or its cultural ramifications, but that didn't happen. And that scene wasn't in the episode that is the topic of this thread.

Question: "What did you think of episode 3?"
Answer 1: "I think drugs are bad, m'kay?"
Answer 2: "No, drugs are cool. I wish more states were more like mine."
Answer 3: "I like how they have the guts to semi-openly discuss drug use."

Only one of those responses has to do with the question.

beaker

Reaction score
I think it's that comparative context again. Are we comparing this new series to a 3-4 decades old series or are we comparing it to its contemporaries? I don't even bother comparing any new Muppet project to the older ones. But, as a current sitcom, it's one of the better shows out there. I really like ABC's Tuesday and Wednesday sitcoms. They're much better than the poorly written "family" drivel they had a decade ago. CBS sitcoms are a very mixed bag, and even the better ones there are showing signs of "should have been cancelled" (seriously. **&^% them for getting rid of The Millers because their pwescious Scorpion show wasn't getting potential ratings and double *&^%$ for putting Sean Hayes in there when you had a perfectly good J.B. Smoov!). NBC...that's a joke. There's no NBC sitcoms.

Modern Family and Goldbergs are the only shows on non premium tv that make me laugh hard every week. But add Muppets to the list, and its the trifecta. CBS on the other hand is tumbleweed city

Goldbergs is probably the most "wholesome" tv show on tv, very g/lite pg, but for someone who literally did grow up in the 1980s I can vouch for its authenticity and funny bone

Also why do people keep trying to compare this new Muppets to the 70s Muppet Show? Its like hello! Its 2015

beaker

Reaction score
To me its not about sly edgy jokes or pop culture references, its the chemistry magic and writing and this show more and more every week is proving it has all of that. All the jokes could be about maple syrup and I think itd still work. I see a lot of subtle complexities which frankly just feel so alive and amazing

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
because these are still the same muppets from then. they're not rebooted new characters who happen to share the same names.

terrimonster

Reaction score
Also why do people keep trying to compare this new Muppets to the 70s Muppet Show? Its like hello! Its 2015
To me its not about sly edgy jokes or pop culture references, its the chemistry magic and writing and this show more and more every week is proving it has all of that. All the jokes could be about maple syrup and I think itd still work. I see a lot of subtle complexities which frankly just feel so alive and amazing
because these are still the same muppets from then. they're not rebooted new characters who happen to share the same names.
I agree with both of you. The show should be judged on its own merit, as a show that airs in the 2015 TV landscape. At the same time, they're the identical characters that we grew up with. Their appearance hasn't changed significantly, but their behaviors have. It's going to draw comparisons.

To draw a truly horrible comparison, when "Fuller House" comes out, people won't expect DJ Tanner/Fuller to be the same character she was 25 years ago on "Full House." The actress has aged, the character has aged, the audience will/should expect some increased maturity. But Kermit hasn't aged in 40 years. It's natural to expect him to be the same, even if it's also unfair.

Not quite related to the same issue... Beaker, I think your point about maple syrup is one problem I have with the show so far. It would work even if it weren't the Muppets. So what makes it special? I'm starting to wonder if it makes it a little less muppety that it doesn't require a Muppet presence to work.

PuppetMad

Reaction score
I hate the fact that I cant watch this show till the 19th because i'm in the U.K, but I cant help reading the reviews and opinions you guys post, and that makes it worse.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Rowlf biting his stitches... genuinely funny.

I kind of sensed a bit of a Michael-Dwight thing between Kermit and Fozzie, but by the end it actually felt like a good, equal relationship.

What is with everyone saying "Who are you?" to everyone, especially to Chip? I kind of got the impression that they've been running this show for a couple of years now.

Last edited: