The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I really miss the days when you couldn't show sexual content on TV.
Yeah, where are those good old-fashioned values on which we used to rely?

Yeah me too. She can make a show for adults without swearing like a drunken sailor or having excessive sex and stuff. Shows like I Dream of Jeannie didn't have either or it was real subtle and it was hilarious and for adults.
Exactly. People have criticized me for not liking swearing and things like that, but it's good that some people here are sort of in agreement with me on this. There are shows out there with adult humor, but they keep it clean for the sake of kids who are watching. I know "Pee Wee's Playhouse" had some humor aimed at adults, though not as much as the original "Pee Wee Herman" show. I can't think of too many other examples off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure there were quite a few. Heck, even "Sesame Street" had some adult humor during the first few years. So overall, it is possible to aim a show towards adults and keep it clean.

I'm still waiting for the premiere of "Fuller House" if I can find some way to watch it without access to Netflix. I hear that may be aimed more towards adults than the original show, but hopefully they'll try to keep that one clean. We'll see.

I wonder if barbara eden will appear on The Muppets? probably not but...
Well, she did appear frequently on "Sabrina" so we'll see.

I DREAM OF JEANNIE did push boundaries, but it's still a clean, wholesome, family show compared to others, but like TV Tropes says, IDOJ is essentially BEWITCHED with social commentary replaced with fanservice (and Barbara Eden was probably the very image of fanservice in the 60s). Then again, BEWITCHED was subtle in certain ways too: Serena was kind of a risque character in terms of being something of a vamp, and it wasn't uncommon to see her dressed rather provocatively either - in fact, many people were actually convinced that she was played by another actress rather than Elizabeth Montgomery doubling.
One show this discussion reminds me of was "Three's Company," which sort of went either way. It had adult humor with the concept of Jack Tripper pretending to be homosexual and making it traditional for Mr. Furley to say 'da**' in every episode, then there was the sex-crazy Larry Dallas. But there were still good wholesome family moments. A lot better than the shows we see on TV these days. I guess that one came out when TV was sort of in the transitional period with shows not being as clean as they used to be.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still bizarre to see so many fuddy duddy grownup adults even younger than me en masse expressing outrage over Facebook and Twitter over how the Muppets have sold out and are now a "raunchy" comedy. When the heck did we become so puritanical? If in 2015 the "h" word and mild sexual inuendo offends people, perhaps watching tv or going online isn't for these people. Ya watch pure filth like CBS Two and a Half Men or Two Broke Girls, and The Muppets seems as G rated as it can get
The level of cussing is lower than a Season 1 Simpsons episode, and the sexual content is lower than a season 2.

I've never had so much a problem with sex. My concern is more the hardcore violence. I dug Criminal Minds for a while, but then it started becoming Saw-like levels of gorn. Now, I do indeed dig violence when done right in a series that kinda sorta needs it and it leaves a little to the imagination. But I'm seeing some stuff that would have to be toned down in a movie to get lowered to an R rating. And Law and Order having someone get assaulted (yes in that way) by a banana. And they're worried about a couple biblical terms (in their correct biblical terminology) popping up out of a Muppet's mouth and a little mild innuendo? I mean, the 70's blew the lid off of sexual content in TV shows. heck, original Muppet show, Raquel Welch's "dancing" in the episode's opening number... far more sexual content than a couple off hand innuendo.

And I think I have to tell this story again. One night I was watching Taxi on MeTV. They showed that self-aggrandizing bumper with "testimonials" from viewers saying how great it is to have such clean and safe programming. ONLY to lead up to the episode of Taxi where Latka had to...eh...keep the woman who played Miss Grotkey warm, and spent the rest of the episode with Simka trying to get Alex into bed as an equalizer. YEAH! Such clean and family friendly programming.

I never liked the 50's sitcoms where married couples had to be in separate beds because real life was too crude for fiction. While I don't know which exact sitcom broke that, a certain little cartoon series managed to have a couple share a bed and have a character be pregnant. And those were both controversial in its time. The Flintstones. It was never really meant for kids, but attracted them. And YES, we've all seen the cigarette ad and the film made for Busch Beer employees. But did you know the reason why Winston stopped advertising was because of Wilma's pregnancy? That was revolutionary back then, and now the same adult characters have appeared in many a Saturday Morning cartoon (including reruns of the original series) in the 70's and 80's, and now are delegated to kid's cereal (barely, they're being edged out) and kid's vitamins.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Still bizarre to see so many fuddy duddy grownup adults even younger than me en masse expressing outrage over Facebook and Twitter over how the Muppets have sold out and are now a "raunchy" comedy. When the heck did we become so puritanical? If in 2015 the "h" word and mild sexual inuendo offends people, perhaps watching tv or going online isn't for these people. Ya watch pure filth like CBS Two and a Half Men or Two Broke Girls, and The Muppets seems as G rated as it can get
That was one thing that did and would frustrate Jim. The counless timres he had to aurge the point that the Muppets where not just for kids. Time and time again he would prove that right. I honestly feel that Jim would be pleased with this. It's not like they have taken the Muppets and turned it into Family Guy or South Park. It was well written,some of the jokes kids won't understand some of it and that's ok. As long as they keep the characters true to themselves like they have so far. I'm happy.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
That was one thing that did and would frustrate Jim. The counless timres he had to aurge the point that the Muppets where not just for kids. Time and time again he would prove that right. I honestly feel that Jim would be pleased with this. It's not like they have taken the Muppets and turned it into Family Guy or South Park. It was well written,some of the jokes kids won't understand some of it and that's ok. As long as they keep the characters true to themselves like they have so far. I'm happy.
tell my mom that ! she told me to grow up and watch shows, like the have and have not's. and that Muppets are kids stuff , and said what adult you hear of that watch the Muppets. due to the fact that I have a fat lazy dad who takes over one of the running TV's, and grandfather who has to watch the news 24 hours a freaking day . I was unable to see it until the next day on the internet.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree with that completely, for a time my dad had issues when I would watch or do anything Sesame Street or Muppet related. Heck, even recently my mom has complained about me watching SS stuff on You Tube (from the show's early years, I mean). Parents don't seem to understand that this is nostalgia rather than immaturity or anything like that.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
well I tried to watch episode 2 and 3 and it turns out they list the episodes on my on-demand but only to DVR not to watch :frown:

but last year Star Wars Rebels if you had a cable or satellite account, which I do with Xfinity, they let you watch the next episode after the airing on TV of the next episode a week early on www.Watchdisneyxd.com basically if the Muppets air there episode at 8 PM on Tuesday at 8:30 PM that night on Tuesday maybe there is something like watch disney XD for Example www.watchABC.com where you can do the same?

jobi71

Reaction score
well I tried to watch episode 2 and 3 and it turns out they list the episodes on my on-demand but only to DVR not to watch :frown:

but last year Star Wars Rebels if you had a cable or satellite account, which I do with Xfinity, they let you watch the next episode after the airing on TV of the next episode a week early on www.Watchdisneyxd.com basically if the Muppets air there episode at 8 PM on Tuesday at 8:30 PM that night on Tuesday maybe there is something like watch disney XD for Example www.watchABC.com where you can do the same?
I don't know the ins and outs of network minds, but I would bet they would not do something like this at this point in time. They have promoted the show so heavily that I think they want to make each airing an event. Having it trickle out lessens its impact. They may be listing it on your xfinity (not on mine) to see how many opt in to record it. Maybe they have a way to measure this kind of viewership and it will get factored in with the weekly ratings. I am fine with waiting a week with maybe a photo or two or 30 sec clip to tide me over. Anticipation is part of the fun.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I don't know the ins and outs of network minds, but I would bet they would not do something like this at this point in time. They have promoted the show so heavily that I think they want to make each airing an event. Having it trickle out lessens its impact. They may be listing it on your xfinity (not on mine) to see how many opt in to record it. Maybe they have a way to measure this kind of viewership and it will get factored in with the weekly ratings. I am fine with waiting a week with maybe a photo or two or 30 sec clip to tide me over. Anticipation is part of the fun.
I loved it with Star Wars Rebels so if they gave the option to watch the Muppets a week ahead I would do it in a heart beat, plus Disney XD and ABC are affiliates....

jobi71

Reaction score
In this day and age, I doubt that will happen; there's no common ground in television anymore like there was back in those days. A majority of what you see on TV today is divided into kids only and adults only; kiddie shows tend to be watered down and talk down to the kids watching, and adult shows tend to try to be as vulgar and degrading as possible. As a matter of fact, you know why so many shows - including sitcoms - always seem to have such unlikeable ******* characters anymore? Because network research apparently says that they're "more relatable" to audiences today. I guess they figured that's the direction the Muppets need to go, I don't know, but I see where some people have posted in this thread that they seem "too mean" on this new show.
Goodness I just noticed you have 30,000 posts. I just got a note congratulating me on my 30th. (I have a lot of work to do). I agree with your point that demographics are as distant as they have ever been. With cable (even basic cable) providing so many options people watch what they like and are comfortable with. For example if you like crime procedurals you can watch marathons of Law and Order. When there were fewer options viewers were almost forced to try something as there were limited choices. So my post didn't mean all these folks would gather together and watch but if individuals in each or any of these categories (and many more) stumbled onto the show they might find something to like and tune in next week. The meaness issue...short response I did think Kermit was too mean in this episode. Not out of character as he has told people before their acts are bad or reacted angrily to the chaos surrounding him. Now the longer view and I am hypothesizing here...perhaps he is on a season long arc to become the frog we all know and love? I was a bit put off by a lot of the promos where Miss Piggy was not only in full diva mode she was in FULL DIVA mode. If the show starts with these two characters at the far reaches of the traits and slowly they come back together that could be a nice plot line to follow. Especially if the give us the occasional scene such as the breakup flashback. One thing they need to recalibrate is Kermit and Fozzie's friendship. Someone here or another board posted that Kermit was totally disinterested in Fozzie's plight in meeting his girl friend's parents. I would have much preferred the scene to be something along the lines of Fozzie being nervous, asks Kermit for advice. Kermit: Fozzie just be yourself. Fozzie: That's what I was afraid of. Kermit tries to help his friend give him a boost of confidence and Fozzie hoping for some magical advice is more panicked than ever. Also doesn't add a scene to the show and takes about 20 seconds.