The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Again, that's my problem: practically every single-camera sitcom on television since THE OFFICE has been in the mockumentary style, as if its an industry standard now; and Disney brought in writers/producers from THE OFFICE and MODERN FAMILY, so of course they're going to try to make THE MUPPETS like their other shows. I find the mockumentary style to be played . . . very played . . . and it just feels so out of place on television. Works fine for movies, like the stuff Christopher Guest used to crank out, but for weekly series, where you like to be able to invest in the characters and their foibles, the mockumentary style gives shows an artificial and disjointed feel that takes you out of the atmosphere of the show . . . not unlike the problem with some live audience shows where the audience goes ballistic whenever the popular character enters the scene, and the actors just freeze and wait for the audience to settle down before continuing with the scene. SANFORD AND SON was a notorious offender of that whenever anybody entered the scene.
30 Rock, Suburgatory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs, The Middle, black-ish, Fresh Off the Boat - all single camera sitcoms in "The Office" era that aren't mocumentaries. Say what you will about their formats (the ABC ones are very narration-based), but your argument doesn't really hold water.

I honestly can't think of any other mocumentary series other than The Office, Parks and Rec and Modern Family. Arrested Development is kinda-sorta, but not in universe.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If THE MIDDLE is Patricia Heaton's show, then yeah, I think it is mockumentary, unless they changed it. Or I dreamed it. Or some combination of the two.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If THE MIDDLE is Patricia Heaton's show, then yeah, I think it is mockumentary, unless they changed it. Or I dreamed it. Or some combination of the two.
It's not a mocumentary, nor was it ever. She narrates it, but it's not presented in a documentary format. If anything, ABC has too many of those types of sitcoms.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I thought it was okay. It felt pretty short and I kinda already knew what was gonna happen in some parts, but I agree it's not bad for a first episode, and hopefully next week's episode will be better, as some critics stated.

Here's what I liked:
  • The intro was pretty cool.
  • I'm starting to enjoy the set (and the show itself) of Up Late, and I liked how the camera followed Piggy through the hallways and offices backstage.
  • :attitude:: "Can't say h***."
  • Fozzie eating dinner with Becky (aw, I was kinda growing with Margo Harshman in the role, but I'm starting to like Riki here!) and her parents ("He likes the salmon!"), and I can't wait to see how Fozzie's character and relationship with Becky will grow throughout the show.
  • Elizabeth Banks shoving Scooter out of the golf cart.
  • Tom Bergeron. Nuff said.

Oh my goodness I almost forgot about Denise!! I liked her, she seems really sweet and the total opposite of Piggy. Speaking of Piggy, I also look forward to see how she and Kermit will work together in the series.

Overall, I'm happy that The Muppets are back on the small screen, and as I said before at least I'll have something to look forward to each week.:smile:

ploobis

Reaction score
MY FAVORITE MOMENTS, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

- Zoot's moment at the Meeting

- Fozzie behind the wheel again

- Fozzie meeting Becky's parents

- Rizzo romancing Yolanda

- :halo: "Animal think Frog plan is Dicey!" :smile: "Oh yeah, Animal got Better Idea!?"

- Uncle Deadly rolling the lint roller on Kermit's skin :smile: "Ow Ow!, Skin Skin!"

- Any moment with Gonzo, Bobo and Big Mean Carl

- Scooter and Elizabeth

- Kermit loosing his temper again

- :attitude: "Can't say ****"

- Brilliant Acting by Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobson in :smile: & :mad:'s breakup scene!

Last edited:

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Okay. I admit it. I watched the show the naughty way. But I swear to Frog that when it finally airs on Aussie TV, I will watch it the legal way and do my part to keep the ratings up.

I loved it. The comic timing of the jokes was spot on, Elizabeth Banks was great, Imagine Dragons were great, Tom Bergeron was great. As expected, I already adore Denise and I can't wait to see more of her and her relationship with our favourite frog. The Muppeteers were, of course, the standout.

But there is one scene that just nailed it for me: The Break-Up Scene.

Oh my Frog. That was the most intense thing I have ever watched. It had to be the greatest interaction Steve and Eric had ever performed between Kermit and Piggy. You could see that even though Kermit was the one breaking it off, he was absolutely heartbroken to be doing so. And those few moments after he walks away and you just watch Piggy let it sink in, your own heart breaks! It made me tear up and almost made me wish it didn't happen!

Congratulations Eric Jacobson. You finally found your Piggy.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking back and hearing her voice in my head, I agree with Erine81981, Denise is more of a country-style city girl. And her joke about the dinner she got shows she knows comedy.

Another little thing that made me laugh/cheer was when Fozzie replied to Carl (Becky's dad) that he got his salmon at Costco, probably because that's where we shop for most of our food. He should go to the cafeteria, they make the best French fries. That's also sadly the only place I can get a cup of good frozen yogurt. :insatiable:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That break up scene!!!!! Oh wow I loved that break up scene.

I don't really know what the problems are, and I really don't care. This show was great. I really think Jim would like what this show is trying to do.
I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the nod to Richard Hunt by haveing Scooter giving the tour, which is something Richard would always do. The Kermit and Piggy relationship is going to be very interesting to watch. You can tell they both stll have feelings for each other, but both need to change and grow before getting back together. Loved the show! More please!

jobi71

Reaction score
Another line I remembered this morning and still made me laugh: (and I may be paraphrasing here) Scooter: Kermit and I have worked together for so long that when he gives me a look I know - that I need to go and ask him what that look was all about.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, I think it was...

Scooter: "Kermit and I have worked together so long that I can anticipate when he gives me the look. And when he gives me the look, I have to go and ask him what it means."

I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of Muppets that got moments in this first episode alone and look forward to next week's episode.