The Leslie Mostly Show with Guy Smiley

Drtooth

Reaction score
With segments like this, I wonder if the video image was pre-recorded or if it was being done live on the set (like the Leslie Mostly set is in one part of the studio, the guests' home in another part, and both parts were being recorded at the exact same time). I didn't think that was how things like this could be done... I remember years ago people told me that the "Two-Headed Monster Co-Operation" segment had both the street scenes and Two-Headed Monster segments done at the same time, and I didn't think that could be possible, but then I saw behind-the-scenes footage that showed an away-from-the-street set by the street set, so I guess it was possible.

It's been stated that Leslie Mostly's delivery and personality could be due to the fact that the interviews were done by satellite. Somebody here said that her interview with Grover had Leslie Mostly in person with Grover. I wonder if she had better delivery in that segment. It would also be interesting to see if she ever appeared in any street scenes (seems like a lot of unlikely "skit characters" made appearances in street stories at some point). Seems Leslie has just a little less personality than Warren Wolf.
I wondered that also. The reactions to things felt flat. Then again, she's a very flat character. Her reaction to being turned into a rabbit at the end was like "huh..Mumford? Can you come back?" Whereas Kermit is far more frantic and/or defeated in similar skits.

I've also noticed that the satellite TV hook up camera was done with green screen, and the camera moves make it obvious. There seems to be some weird glitch, like a blue blob where the smoke should be when he exits.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've also noticed that the satellite TV hook up camera was done with green screen, and the camera moves make it obvious. There seems to be some weird glitch, like a blue blob where the smoke should be when he exits.
As I was watching it just now, when Mumford's smoke appears (when it's just in his living room, not when it's there and on the talk show set), I watched Leslie closely, and saw that she moved slightly without moving. Meaning that they either stopped tape and restarted, or kept rolling and edited a bit out, with the performer holding Leslie as still as possible, only for it to not entirely be still. For Mumford to suddenly appear or turn into a rabbit and back, they would have done this before the change happened, so this means that the talk show parts were done at the same time as the video feed parts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I read the description of this one on the forum, I thought Leslie Mosly was at the restaurant, as opposed to in her studio. I wonder what was with the ending, with Grover saying "this is not my table!" Did he not like the question or not want to come to the studio?

Weird that we get a customer who's not Mr. Johnson (and this coming from someone who has wanted there to be more restaurant sketches with different customers as well as Mr. Johnson). My only guess as to why a different customer was used was that Jerry Nelson wasn't available that day (they probably just recorded him as the shows announcer once and reused it for all of them).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait... is she supposed to be some sort of spoof on Leslie Stahl (or however that's spelled) from 60 Minutes?

I got to admit, the punchline being that her serious question to Grover was a lunch order was a little more comical than the Mumford one. Didn't see it coming, like that sketch. I mean, that was blatantly obvious a joke. Plus, this one was much punchier, even if the humor was all on Grover and the customer.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now here's one where she interviews The Count.

I think this one is the best so far, mainly because Leslie actually loses her cool a bit over Count's arithmomania. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, this one works because he's really having fun with with Leslie in this one. It's great to see little touches like Leslie cowering and hiding behind her chair in response to the lightning and thunder. Plus, the character actually reacts with annoyance to The Count.

Plus, this one's great for Sesame Trivia buffs. Someone's going to transcribe all the things the Count listed because Muppet fandom won't let something like this pass by. I'm not going to question how and why these rare skits we've been seeking for years are finally coming to light, I'm just going to appreciate that there's less to look for now.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Here's what's in Count's Castle that I could heard 41 rooms, 27 chandeliers, 91 doors, 31 closets, 14 stairwells, 32 sofas, 27 easy chairs, 22 soap dishes, 7 hairbrushes, & 1 fang-brush, I hope Kermit, Guy, & Cookie come next.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Interestingly, with the known EKAs, it seems like season 12 had one Leslie Mostly sketch a week, with them appearing in either the second or third episode of the week. It's probably a coincidence (and if it's not, I wonder if CTW advertised "see your favorite characters interviewed by Leslie Mostly on Tuesdays or Wednesdays!"). Muppet Wiki has about six redlinked season 12 episodes left, so maybe some appear in those episodes (I wonder if any of those episodes repeat the ones with Mumford, Grover, or The Count).

Drtooth

Reaction score
How come no one mentioned this yet?

Sigh. If only that character had the same energy in the other interview spots, they coulda had something here. Still not really interesting as a skit, but a fascinating find.