So...uh...The Doozers cartoon is on DVD

Drtooth

Reaction score
In a testament of how little the waves made by the only actual Fraggle Rock project that isn't a comic book to actually happen in the last 10 years, there have been Doozers DVD on sale at Target for a few months now. An Amazon search suggests these are exclusive and other volumes won't hit mass retail until the end of next month (as of this writing)

Now those who don't want a Hulu plus subscription (putting all kids shows on it was highway robbery in the first place) and want to actually collect a physical Henson product, two volumes of Doozer DVDs are currently available. Didn't get a good look at them to see what was on the disks.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now those who don't want a Hulu plus subscription (putting all kids shows on it was highway robbery in the first place) and want to actually collect a physical Henson product, two volumes of Doozer DVDs are currently available. Didn't get a good look at them to see what was on the disks.
At least Netflix doesn't BS you by bombarding you with ads in spite of paying for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said before, anime distribution companies have profits that are razor thin. They do NOT get these shows cheap, and the relentless competition between them to get the rights to those shows is no picnic. Let's not forget that only die hard collectors buy DVD's anymore, and those sales are ever decreasing leading to their only source of revenue being streaming adverts and maybe merchandising. And while some shows only pop up on paysites anyway, for the most part, the anime on Hulu is all free without a Plus membership. Consider the kid's shows on Hulu for the most part being all old reruns or co-productions that already made back their budget in their home country or internationally, there's something I'd love to call shenanigans over. If anime distribution companies with razor thin margins can release their shows free on Hulu with just commercials, the same can be said for ALF the animated series, since I'm sure no one under the age of 30 gives a crap.

Aside from that... yeah... Doozers was released to DVD with absolutely no fanfare on this site. Which is amazing. Is it really that bad? I didn't see any of the one free episode at a time Hulu puts out. Yet if there was some vague sign that the never going to happen movie is moving a quantum singularity closer, it's HUGE. It blows the entire site up.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't see why Nick Jr. hasn't picked this up, considering how bloated the preschool market is already, especially from them. I know it does air on its Australian counterpart, at least.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure that Nick Jr. and PBS/Sprout among others have been contacted and passed, otherwise it probably wouldn't have directly gone to Hulu. I'm very disappointed PBS didn't pick it up with their relationship with Henson for Sid the Science kid and Dinosaur Train. Probably couldn't have found a good spot on the schedule for it. I mean, it was right up their alley... produced in Canada, probably with Tax credits. All they had to pay for/fund was for broadcasting rights, maybe residuals. It wasn't as if they had to fund it directly.

I really don't see Nick bothering with much they didn't produce themselves. Sure, they have things like Peppa Pig and a couple others they don't own, but there's quicker and easier access to those merchandising bucks if they own a series. That's pretty much what drives their preschool market.

But yeah. it's a shame this didn't get a wider audience and a better venue. Otherwise, it could very well have brought FR back into the mainstream to get other projects funded.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a Halloween themed disk that popped up at Target this week.

So, anyone willing to pay 8 bucks for a DVD with about an hour's worth of footage (because it's 2002, obviously) can pick one up.