Wait a Minute... "DreamWorks' Dragons"? What?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think DW made the right call by scrapping initial plans for a Dinotrux film and making it a web series instead. A concept like this works better as such.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dawn of the Croods premiered this week, and I've just seen the first 3 episodes. Seems that, like Turbo F.A.S.T. the show switches between more traditional drawn animation and more computer generated 2-D animation. While noticeable, both are quite well done enough to not be too much of a difference. Only complaint I have about the computer generated episodes is that they don't have a filter for the outlines, so they get inconsistently thick and thin depending on it being a close up or wide shot. And while it doesn't quite have the lush look of the CGI movie (with multi colored backgrounds and animals being more flat 2-D animated), it has a real charm to the look.

And it's a prequel series, which does have an unfortunate note of the Croods being the only family in the film, meaning everyone introduced as an in the series original character winds up dying. But overall, it's a pretty good cartoon series based on the film. Another triumph for Dreamworks and Netflix.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Dawn of the Croods premiered this week, and I've just seen the first 3 episodes. Seems that, like Turbo F.A.S.T. the show switches between more traditional drawn animation and more computer generated 2-D animation. While noticeable, both are quite well done enough to not be too much of a difference.
Only 2 of the 13 episodes released seem to be done with Flash/Harmony, and from the same studio as Rick & Morty, so it looks very full and fluid either way. Dunno why they did it other than Canadian tax write-offs, but why only for those two?

Anyway, while I haven't seen The Croods yet, this prequel is a solid show, and I hope that you don't need to watch the movie to enjoy the TV show. It should stand on its own merits.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd have to say that you really don't need to see the movie to enjoy the show, though I do recommend the movie. The humor seems to be similar enough.

I have to admit, I like the movement of the hand drawn episodes, but the graphics of the computer generated version better. I also kinda find it a little odd the animal creatures are mentioned by name, unlike the film. Overall, after watching the first 5 episodes, I'd say going prequel instead of just having adventures with the Crood family and Guy was a good choice. Among other things, it won't go past the sequel when it comes to story, plus there's a lot more to work with before the movie's events than after.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So does DW have some kind of contract or something that their movies get adapted into series? And how come none of the series ever get promoted?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looks like another property from the Classic Media buy out is getting a new Netflix exclusive. Voltron

Since Voltron already had another American made spinoff series, I'm wondering how another will go. Voltron is clearly more popular as an Americanized dub series here than Japan where it was just one of many giant mech shows of the 70's.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Finally got to seeing the season 1 finale of Turbo F.A.S.T. titled "The Snailman", and it was gloriously insane. All these characters coming back for a revenge race, including the human antagonist from the film? It's so clear that the writers weren't sure of a renewal, so they decided to go totally off the rails for the finale (though it did get renewed for another season eventually). Though I still don't get why some characters who Turbo made amends with (like those kart-racing animals) or those who had no problem with him (such as Tickula) are getting revenge on him. :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to rewatch that again, but I think it was partially a friendly race between past characters. I really kinda wish they did more with Guy Gagne (or however it's spelled). The character was pretty slimeballish in the movie Though, rightfully so if you think long and hard about the film's concept. He is a seasoned professional racer, and he got upstaged essentially by something that shouldn't have been able to qualify and is technically juiced up.

Season 3 has a strange variant on the bringing past characters back. Instead of a race, they do something akin to the "22 Short Films about Springfield" episode of The Simpsons with something equivalent to a Family Guy Chicken fight near the end of the second half. You can tell they could only afford so many voice actors because half the comebacks are of the silently wave at the camera type.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Finally got to seeing the season 1 finale of Turbo F.A.S.T. titled "The Snailman", and it was gloriously insane. All these characters coming back for a revenge race, including the human antagonist from the film? It's so clear that the writers weren't sure of a renewal, so they decided to go totally off the rails for the finale (though it did get renewed for another season eventually). Though I still don't get why some characters who Turbo made amends with (like those kart-racing animals) or those who had no problem with him (such as Tickula) are getting revenge on him. :confused:
That sounds like that "Ball of Revenge" episode of Courage, where among the different past villains Eustace banded together to kill Courage were the weremole (which Courage did nothing to, and all it did was bite Muriel and eat bunnies), the gangster foot (which Courage actually destroyed, so how did it come back?), and the Puddle Queen (who had Eustace hypnotized and seduced, so how would he remember Courage defeated her?).

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's more of a Wacky Races type deal. Something that was a goodwill gesture on the part of Turbo...and frankly you'd have to see the movie to appreciate Guy's (the "villain" of the film).

On the topic of Dragons and Turbo, one of Turbo's third season episodes was a weird send up called "How to Train Your Titmouse" (HA! That's the name of the animation company). Only...

The bird doesn't really get tamed and still manages to attack the snails for sustenance. Which is another reference to the movie, as there was a dark comedic running gag about crows constantly eating snails out of Theo's (Turbo's real name before getting sucked into the engine) garden.

Also, at one point, Turbo's actually watching HTTYD on a phone with the Titmouse