Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if the people in charge are really proud of those recent clips (which I find forgettable, for the most part), or if they're just taking clips from the same release (is that easier than picking clips?), or if they're picking these because they were already cleared for video releases.
I'd say the second one is the most likely of cases. Easier and cheaper, and making these things more disposable. Only thing I really like about these new WB produced DVD's are the fact they have older made for home video productions on them. I can see why they wouldn't release "season sets" of street stories, or volumes of the best street stories of any given season.

From what I can gather this Count tribute DVD is lacking on being a Count tribute. These are clearly made for parents afraid their kids are going to screw up their computer to throw a DVD in and do laundry. Shame they can't make them collector's friendly either. Considering you can get most of whats on these things online, I guess there's little need for these to be well thought out.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I mistakenly thought that the one non-Count Muppet segment included was also the same Muppet segment included in Elmo's Super Numbers, but I was wrong. Turns out there's two similar segments with a fish (performed by Kevin Clash) counting - the one on Elmo's Super Numbers was about the number five, the one on "Count on Elmo" is about the number eight.

It's still interesting that both of those releases have many of the same animated segments, and hardly any Muppet segments (with one of the few being similar to the other). Makes me wonder if the people in charge are really proud of those recent clips (which I find forgettable, for the most part), or if they're just taking clips from the same release (is that easier than picking clips?), or if they're picking these because they were already cleared for video releases. Regardless, there's no reason why these two numbers videos can't have more Muppet segments, classic or not, widescreen or not (and it does have some full frame clips), Count or no Count. And there is one scene in the linking footage that would have made a good lead-in to the sketch where The Count and Cookie Monster count and eat cookies.

It seems like there wasn't a "Sesame Bits" comic written to promote this. Was there one for "The Best of Elmo 3"?
I found the sesame bit for BOE3

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something that I didn't think about regarding the release of the Count on Elmo release: This came out on the same week as Jerry Nelson's birthday. I wonder if it was planned that way or a coincidence.

Interestingly, the Count montage at the beginning includes a few celebrities, none of which are credited, but the credits to list special guest stars Bill Irwin and the woman who played Sister Noodle in the Elmo's World segment included as a bonus feature. That's odd that they'd have credits relating to a bonus clip (though I feel like I've seen another recent Sesame Street release that did so as well). Also odd, the Elmo's World episode is actually presented with end credits.

Despite some of the classic clips in the Count montage, it seems like the DVD doesn't really credit any performers who might have appeared in them that don't appear on the show anymore. Jerry Nelson was credited, but there's quite a few performers not credited who I would have thought would have performed in some of those, like Richard Hunt, Camille Bonora, Brian Meehl, maybe Michael Earl. Neither Jim Henson or Frank Oz are credited, but I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them performed in any of the clips shown. After so many Sesame video releases that credit practically every performer who appears in a clip, it'd be odd if they started leaving performers out now.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While technically we don't know that there won't be any further Sesame releases after this next one (I suspect we won't), and don't know whether there'll be any unannounced releases before or after, I must say that it looks like this is the first year where all Sesame Street video releases are Elmo-themed (not counting that concert video which won't be released by Warner, or a possible physical video release of I Am Big Bird... That is getting a physical release, right?). As has been said, even The Count's tribute video was Elmo-heavy. I'm surprised that there doesn't even seem to be a release of The Cookie Thief this year.

But at least the bonus features on Elmo Can Do It are appropriate with the theme of the release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Aside from celebrity clips, they've only made 3 Muppet-number centric bits (not involving the Count). So, if they're keeping things widescreen, it's understandable. But if they're throwing full-frame stuff in, there's no excuse.
Actually, I have seen some number segments with The Count that were in widescreen. There's the one where Oscar tells The Count that the number of the day is zero, as well as the "By Five" song with Train.

Not many, but it's some.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Actually, I have seen some number segments with The Count that were in widescreen. There's the one where Oscar tells The Count that the number of the day is zero, as well as the "By Five" song with Train.

Not many, but it's some.
You're pretty much saying the opposite of what I said. ASIDE from celebrity and bits with the count, there's only:
  • Elmo and Abby's "Two is You and Me" cover
  • and those 2 Two-Headed Monster bits

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You're pretty much saying the opposite of what I said.
Oh, the way you said it ("they've only made three Muppet-centric number bits (not involving The Count)"), I thought you meant that there's only three Muppet number bits in widescreen and that The Count wasn't in any of them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next Sesame Street DVD is... UGH!!.... Another Elmo's World one. I was hopeful that they were finally done (just release annual Elmo the Musical ones instead!). But the next one is "Elmo's World: Elmo Wonders".

On the upside, it'll include Ernie's song "I Wonder" as a bonus feature. Fairly recent, but it is a great number, and I believe this will be the first home video release of that segment.

It's odd that this one won't contain a bonus video, as almost every Sesame video in the past few years has. It's possible that they just haven't announced it yet, but in the past few years pretty much every time the bonus features for a new release are announced, they announce all of the bonus features at the same time.