The Future of Muppet Cinema

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So with the new TV show, I really do not mind if we do not get another movie, and I do not think Disney is exactly giddy to make another one, but will there be more. Whether the show is a hit or tanks is Disney just going to focus on television, and if they do make new movies wil it be in the same adult vein as the new show.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I think the future of Muppet productions will largely hinge on the success of this show. I also think (and Hope!) that if this show is successful, Disney might finally pry open their vault and release things on DVD that we've been asking for for years!

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I hope we get a few TV specials. Maybe a Halloween special or a Star Wars parody. I don't know why, but I've always wanted a Muppet Star Wars parody.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I finally finally got around to listening to the demo tracks for "Kermit, Prince of Denmark," and two things occurred to me.

One, I HATE MWOZ even more now for depriving us of the awesomeness that could have been this movie. If nothing else, we lost an incredible song called "I Can't Live Without You." Shame on Henson for passing up a good thing for that obvious and unlikable piece of junk.

Secondly, Robert Lopez is a great match for the Muppets as far as songs go. Clearly if there's to be another movie, it would be done under a different writing and musical team. I say, give the Lopezes a shot here.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I finally finally got around to listening to the demo tracks for "Kermit, Prince of Denmark," and two things occurred to me.

One, I HATE MWOZ even more now for depriving us of the awesomeness that could have been this movie. If nothing else, we lost an incredible song called "I Can't Live Without You." Shame on Henson for passing up a good thing for that obvious and unlikable piece of junk.

Secondly, Robert Lopez is a great match for the Muppets as far as songs go. Clearly if there's to be another movie, it would be done under a different writing and musical team. I say, give the Lopezes a shot here.
How did you listen to the demo tracks?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone had them up here a while back. I downloaded them and kinda forgot about it until iTunes accidentally wandered onto them.

muppetlover123

Reaction score

What are these demo tracks from? MWOZ?

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
What are these demo tracks from? MWOZ?
No, Kermit, Prince of Denmark, which is a television special that the guys who made Avenue Q tried to sell to Disney to make. There was a demo track made, and, If I remember correctly, it was put aside in favour of Muppets Wizard of Oz. There's more information about it on Muppet Wiki.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was put aside in favour of Muppets Wizard of Oz. There's more information about it on Muppet Wiki.
And as a result, that mediocre eye sore has earned my undying hatred.

I can't stress enough, there was a song called "Without You" that, as far as I can get from the context of the plot pieced together from some of the songs, was all the Muppets calling Kermit and singing about how much they miss him and how they can't get along without him and to please hurry back. It would have featured a solo from Robin the frog, as well as either Rowlf or Dr. Teeth (can't tell from their impersonations, which were actually pretty good), and it was freaking beautiful.

And we lost it for a mediocre movie about an overtold story and a joke about Pepe touching Gonzo's nipples.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
And as a result, that mediocre eye sore has earned my undying hatred.

I can't stress enough, there was a song called "Without You" that, as far as I can get from the context of the plot pieced together from some of the songs, was all the Muppets calling Kermit and singing about how much they miss him and how they can't get along without him and to please hurry back. It would have featured a solo from Robin the frog, as well as either Rowlf or Dr. Teeth (can't tell from their impersonations, which were actually pretty good), and it was freaking beautiful.

And we lost it for a mediocre movie about an overtold story and a joke about Pepe touching Gonzo's nipples.
I've never heard the full soundtrack, but I've listened to "Talk to Each Other" and "King for a While" and they were really great. You could tell that this special/film was going to be really great. A real shame.