Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Pitch Reel

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I saw that "you are my sunshine" muppet from the ugga wugga song skit in there. For some reason that amused me greatly.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Maybe I've said this before, but I feel that Walter should have asked about including incredibly obscure Muppets no one remembers, since he's the big Muppet fan of the group (at the very least he could have told Kermit who Chip was and what he's from). In fact not only does Walter not get any lines, but neither do any of Peter Linz's other characters in the pilot (or did Angel Marie say something?).

Now that I think about it, maybe Walter should be one of the writers. Or be a "Muppet fan consultant". Or he could be in charge of deciding which obscure characters appear on the show and what references to past productions get made ("Oh, how about we reference the time I joined the Muppets? Remember THAT?!").
As a younger Muppet, I think Walter would make a great Media/Publicity Strategest for the show. He could be the one to listen to the fans and communicate what they want to Kermit and the three writers.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
do you think we'll be seeing annie-sue in this new series?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Yep, that's why I suggested it. It's an accepted theory that Ryan is in fact Walter.
I saw Peter Linz operating Ryan before I knew he performed Walter...FACT! Ask Ryan, he'll tell ya!!

Infact the whole thing went down like this, I was walking along, I saw Peter and I said "Hey Peter, whats up?". He said "Awww nothing Stu, just operating Ryan - Whats up with you?" and I replied "Nuttin" and I went about my day. I honestly remember it like it was yesterday.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't mind the soon to be dated references much, but I hope they're not that integral as a fixture. Certainly a lot less dated and hip than certain other Muppet productions prior. I doubt this is going to be anything close to timeless, but it's tough to pick out a Muppet production that's not a project of its time. Maybe MCC and MTI to an extent if you ignore some of the end credits music (it's so 90's). I'd say the reference to Uber is kinda unnecessary, but TMZ is unfortunately not going away anytime soon. Other than that, I like the style and tone and they had some strong concepts in this series I can't wait to see play out with more depth. Plus, I kinda hope come series proper there's a little more 30 Rock-ness to it. Maybe a soundtrack and a little more exaggeration?
I don't think the references will make it dated, but date it of its time. It's like watching Seinfeld; the show is very much of the 90s (having an episode about The English Patient, Ted Danson's plane, Kramer's mock-OJ chase, etc.), but since the humor was so well-done, it doesn't hurt things. If the humor around the references is done well (and so far it looks promising), then the references will become part of the fabric.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
do you think we'll get to see how the less spot light centered muppets live their lives? I would love to know what the EM do in their down time.